Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I for one LOVED what I heard

I for one LOVED what I heard

mods, im sorry if this should be in another thread, if so, please move it.

i loved what i heard from our new owner. very passionate man about the reds and baseball. he wont stand for losing. mr lindner i felt was just passionate about cincy, but didnt really know what to do or care that the team wasnt good. our new owner seems like he knows what he is doing to. they said all the right things and not the same as what has been said before(like ive heard some say) and he just said it in a dif way. i just got this good feeling listening to all 3 of them. i love that they took allen away from baseball decisions. and before people yell about the fo keeping their jobs. im glad they did. you just cant throw everything out then higher whatever is out there. that wont get you the best. i believe they want the best. they talked about bringing in the best people and letting them do their job. i think you are seeing with players signing 1 year deals, and all fo's and the manager on one year deals that we will see changes in a year or less. i think they have ideas of who they want and they may not be available now. i know you dont want to just throw this year away, and believe me, i dont either. but id rather have one more bad year to have 10 great ones(lets hope) then do something drastic now just to try to win now and be bad for 10 more years.

i am very pleased with what i am seeing and hearing SO FAR

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I for one LOVED what I heard

well i decided to go through some of the thread on the new owners. what a shock reds fans whining 5 seconds into him owning the team. nothing like a reds fan to make a good thing feel like crap in 5 seconds. if you truly believe you should just fire everything in site 5 seconds into owning something, WOW!

I was happy with what I heard too. I don't know what others expected. A firing? Maybe. But other than that, our team that actually hits and pitches was not going to change.

I'm with you. I'm encouraged. It'll take awhile right the ship though.

I know we have all been patient for a while now, but it's going to take a bit more. After all, it even took God 6 days to create earth, (on the 7th he rested) so, let's hang with 'em. But, yes, it is wonderful to hear someone with money who appears to have the passion that a lot of us have for the Reds.

I'm thinking optimistically about the entire situation. Fire them all. Is that optimistic?

I really did like most of what I heard from the new guys in town. I was kind of worried about Cast complimenting Jerry Narron, but I think he was just trying to be nice since Lou appears on the way to town.

Things are looking up, at least for now.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

At about 6pm yesterday I had not yet LISTENED to the press conference, only seen a quick write-up on web.

The write-up made me think that Castellini was a yutz. I called M2 to say so. M2, who had actually listened to it, was more conciliatory.

When I actually listened to the audio link of the press conference, I was much more encouraged by his enthusiasm.

The Piniella thing worries me a bit. But I figure that if this guy fails as an owner, it won't be from a lack of trying. Trying is half the battle.
    Stick to your guns.

I was encouraged. Could Lindner analyze the strengths/limitations of the organization in such a way? IMO, no way. That's not to say that an owner needs to have those skills, but if he does it makes things go a lot better. I never got the sense that Lindner even knew what the problems were/are (that may not be fair- he may just have kept quiet).

If an owner can sum up the organization in such a way -then he/she can know when folks aren't being real. This is a sick, dysfunctional organization. Inter office finger pointing and double speak are the norm. You need a CEO who can attempt to cut thru all the crap. You can't cut thru the crap unless you know the score.

It seems as if the organization has turned the corner. The speed in which they do so may not suit us all, but at the very least a passionate attempt will be made.

Btw, i've seen the word transparency (i hope i spelled it right) used more and more when new admins. come into their jobs. I'm hoping it's not a cliche in this case. I'd pick a different word to communicate the truth.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: enthusiasm, knowing what's wrong with the club (we're giving this guy points for recognizing that the pitching and the minors are a joke?!)--none of it matters, truthfully, until the people who make baseball decisions are installed. All this other crap--meaningless. Utterly meaningless.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Knowing what's wrong is important. I've seen many a CEO who couldn't identify the strenghts/limitations of their companies. Took em months to get things done and usually by then it was too late. Knowing is important.

I like the passion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    Knowing what's wrong is important. I've seen many a CEO who couldn't identify the strenghts/limitations of their companies. Took em months to get things done and usually by then it was too late. Knowing is important.

I like the passion too.

I'm passionate, but I'd be a horrible owner.

Knowing is important, right, but beyond the obvious platitudinous barking about pitching and the minors--which any shrunken head could diagnose--did you hear anything of substance suggesting a sea change in evaluation of talent, a new approach to working the market? I didn't. (Though he said something about being opportunistic, which is about the only thing I liked about his chats).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

What did you want to hear? It's not like he could go out and claim he was going to fall in love with sabermetrics....this town is too small minded for that kind of change. Heck, half this board would have thrown a fit if he would have said such a thing--the media would've hung him out to dry.

As for being able to diagnose the problems...i didnt hear Lindner do it for 5 years...Marge couldn't do it...point being, it's not always the case that a CEO can identify strengths/limitations of an organization. The bar is set low, but at least Castellini was able to clear it. I'm happy he was able to clear that first, really low bar. We haven't had an owner that could do that for the last 20 years. I know it's not much, but it's a heck of a lot more than we've had in the past....it's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    What did you want to hear?
    I can tell you what I didn't want to hear: crap about the past. And we had that--and then some.

If I'm not mistaken, John Allen used the new park and the Reds history museum as the dose of chocolate syrup on the feces sundae of a team we've been served for 6 seasons. I don't care that a bunch of old faces are going to be milling around the place; we've had that schtick going on forever and it's done nothing.

I can tell you what I didn't want to hear: crap about the past. And we had that--and then some.
    If Coke or GM held a big ass PC then you could count on a reference to the past.

It's all marketing, something the other guys didn't know squat about.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Trying is half the battle.
    Nah. As Hamlet said--"the readiness is all...."

Turn Off Ads?