Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I for one LOVED what I heard

Re: I for one LOVED what I heard

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It definitely would have been bold and aggressive. My argument is that bold and aggressive is exactly what Reds fans are up for at this point in time. Everything folks like about Castellini's press conference touches upon the notion that he's going to be bold and aggressive.

I don't fault him for not taking it farther on his first day, but he'd be the king of Cincinnati if he had.
    I dunno. Signing Eric Milton was "bold and agressive" but it was stupid. Doing something just for the sake of doing some thing isn't always the best thing.

To me, simply firing Dan O'Brien results in nothing more than it did when JimBo was let go. We thought firing Bowden made a statement. It didn't. Firing O'Brien right at this moment only opens up the opportunity for another dud to get the job. Unless there is a qualified outside person ready to step in and ready to hit the ground running, keeping OB on a VERY short leash is better than GM-by-committee by a handful of underlings. Just the act of dumping O'Brien doesn't excite me. It's too "same song, different verse." Now, if we read of Paul DePodesta meeting behind closed doors with Castellini, then its time to dump Danny Boy.

What I'm going to be looking at are the new advisors that are brought in. Are they going to be more of the same, or will they be new blood? Will they be people who know how to scout and develop a farm system? Will there be people who understand the difference between BA and OBP? Will there even BE any new advisors?

Let's see who he brings in.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    I dunno. Signing Eric Milton was "bold and agressive" but it was stupid. Doing something just for the sake of doing some thing isn't always the best thing.
    Except that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is walking in with all the things you've mentioned in hand, making the big splash with the new leadership ready to go instead leaving us in the position you've accurately summed up as "Let's see who he brings in."

I'd have answered that question before you asked it.

Mind you, I think there's also value to cutting DanO loose without a specific replacement as long as you've got a trusted team president to run the replacement committee. After all, would you complain if Brad Kullman were put in charge of negotiating some deals for pitching? Seems to me that would be change for the sake of improvement.

On a sidenote, I wonder if Castellini man-love for Lou Piniella isn't partially connected to the guy's ethnic heritage. If so, somebody please put Paul DePodesta in the same room as Bob Castellini, stat.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I do believe that the one thing we all agree on is that someone needs to send the following web link to Dan O'Brien:

www.Monster.com
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Okay. I'm convinced now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?