Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could this not be DanO's fault???

Re: Could this not be DanO's fault???

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm a big believer that removing Allen makes no difference in wins and losses for the Reds.

Baseball minds--they are the lightning bolts to rend the murk that encloses this club.
    Every action causes a reaction.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Every action causes a reaction.
    Yep. A GM that consistently brings in talent, under budget, will either make a bean counter like Allen powerless in the eyes of the owner to check said GM , or make someone like Allen altogether obsolete. The GM wags everything but the owner, and owners are smart enough not to mess with a GM who puts a winner on the field, and therefore asses in the seats--all that and under budget.

If Castellini was paying attention in his years in St. Louis, he got to watch Jocketty and LaRussa operate.

How long do you think he'll put up with DanO and Narron?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

I suppose as long as it takes him to realize that he should have had someone lined up for their jobs the day he took over.

Two thoughts:

1. Allen was not baseball smart enough to tell Dan "NO" on Milton. He's an accountant...

2. The Reds now have an owner who is known throughout baseball. He's not a banana salesman, but a baseball owner. The owner now can be involved in baseball discussions and people will listen: free agents, trading partners, his own organization. Those dealing with the Reds will go in with a better perception of who is pulling the organizational strings. That, IMO, is a huge leap forward for this club and whatever Dan brings up as a player transaction will now be filtered through a basball owner.
    Hope Springs Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    I have believed that Allen was the problem for many years even more than the ownership. Maybe Allen didn't order him to sign Milton but he might have ordered him to make a big splash in the free agency market with pitiching
    I have a hard time seeing Allen as being in favor of spending money
    Go Gators!

RE: the OP;
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lancaster
    "The general manager's slot more or less reported to me, and I was more or less the liaison to ownership," Allen said. "I think some people thought I was making baseball decisions, which really was never the case. We had a general manager."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....601210373/1035
    Makes all the routine posts.

He may have not been making or baseball decisions, but he had a lot to do with getting financial approval of them.

Up to and including making cuts or trades that were financially based decisions.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    If Castellini was paying attention in his years in St. Louis, he got to watch Jocketty and LaRussa operate.

With O'Brien--not very long. Guys with his success in business can judge a guy in a couple of weeks. DanO's long pauses between actions will probably not be tolerated.

With Narron--I'm fearful. He seems to really be impressed with 'ol Jerry. That means it will take a lot longer for him to sour on the manager. That's a shame. I still feel like he has Lou in mind for this position next year. I think the GM and special consultant stuff was a smokescreen.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Reading today's article in the Enquirer, I thought it was pretty clear that O'Brien is gone as soon as Castellini can make the arrangements for a smooth transition. Hence the Williams in his office and laying the groundwork with Piniella already. Castellini spoke about how badly he wanted to get control in November when he could still have an impact on this season, which I read to mean "when I could still get a GM in place before the winter meetings".

I don't like "symbolic" or "just to prove to fans that a new day is dawning" firings. I think the message has been sent pretty clearly to Allen, Narron, and most especially O'B: "You have a very finite time period to prove yourself, so now's the time to ratchet it up a notch". I can live with that.

Well the Reds problems run a lot deeper than just what has happened over the last 2 years so no, it's not all DanO fault. Nonetheless, he has, in my eyes, proven to be horribly incompentent and I hold no hope that he is the man to lead the Reds out of their current predicament.
    Last edited by pedro; 01-22-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Puppetmaster!

Marc_Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I honestly think it's a HUGE thing that DanO wasn't at the presser yesterday.

HUGE.

To me, that gives me hope. Why would the general manager of the team not be at the press conference to announce new ownership?

I hope it is because he was at home, packing.
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea Dan and John weren't there yesterday. They most definitely were -- along with Dean Taylor, Brad Kullman, Johnny Almaraz, Tim Naehring, Grant Griesser...basically everyone in baseball operations.

They just weren't up at the podium with the new ownership, and I don't know why they would have been. It was Castellini's day.

(OK, back to the cave)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Lancaster
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea Dan and John weren't there yesterday. They most definitely were -- along with Dean Taylor, Brad Kullman, Johnny Almaraz, Tim Naehring, Grant Griesser...basically everyone in baseball operations.

They just weren't up at the podium with the new ownership, and I don't know why they would have been. It was Castellini's day.

(OK, back to the cave)
    well I'll hold out hope that the fact that he didn't say anything positive about Dan O is a signal in and of itself, whether DanO was there or not.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?