Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: John Allen

  1. #1
    Member Maldez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    352

    John Allen

    How do you get fired, without really getting fired?

    "John Allen remains the chief operating officer but will have no responsibility for the baseball operations."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,000

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    How do you get fired, without really getting fired?

    "John Allen remains the chief operating officer but will have no responsibility for the baseball operations."

    In other words, no more picking on the GM. But I'd argue though that Allen wouldn't have the authority to pick on a GM who was doing his job correctly in the first place.

  4. #3
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,173

    Re: John Allen

    John Allen running the business is still a plenty bad thing. It's not like the baseball operation is the only thing that's gone to pot on his watch.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  5. #4
    Lark11 11BarryLarkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    244

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    John Allen running the business is still a plenty bad thing. It's not like the baseball operation is the only thing that's gone to pot on his watch.
    This is very good news. Allen had no business overseeing the baseball operations, so the new ownership group has started off well. But, being in charge of the business operations is still important.

    I'd love to see the Reds explore opportunities for increasing their revenue stream. The Mets are starting their own cable network, which they expect to be a cash cow. Now, due to the differences in marketsize, that probably isn't a viable strategy for the Reds, but there HAS to be opportunities of which they could take advantage to improve their financial standing.

  6. #5
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    In other words, no more picking on the GM. But I'd argue though that Allen wouldn't have the authority to pick on a GM who was doing his job correctly in the first place.
    I doubt Mr. Lindner has/had no idea whether or not DOB was doing his job. He doesn't have enough baseball acumen to have an opinion one way or another. I'm sure his "opinions" were whatever Mr. Allen chose to share with him as gospel, and that is why Mr. Allen got away with doing whatever he damn well pleased!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  7. #6
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    John Allen running the business is still a plenty bad thing. It's not like the baseball operation is the only thing that's gone to pot on his watch.
    Running it? IMHO, that's exactly what has changed. He will be heading up the business side while reporting directly to Mr. Castellini. He won't be making the decisions anymore; Mr Castellini will.

    Don't you think that is huge?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  8. #7
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,173

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11
    This is very good news. Allen had no business overseeing the baseball operations, so the new ownership group has started off well. But, being in charge of the business operations is still important.

    I'd love to see the Reds explore opportunities for increasing their revenue stream. The Mets are starting their own cable network, which they expect to be a cash cow. Now, due to the differences in marketsize, that probably isn't a viable strategy for the Reds, but there HAS to be opportunities of which they could take advantage to improve their financial standing.
    Which is exactly why John Allen still looms as a major problem. Do you expect the guy who hasn't been able to figure out broadcasting and marketing for the past decade to clue in now?

    Honestly, I think John Allen's greatest malfeasance has been on the business end. His approach to the business of baseball is outdated by about 30 years and it consistently undercuts the franchise.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Centerville,OH
    Posts
    679

    Re: John Allen

    Castellini has only been in full power for 2 days, give him a chance to make the proper judgements on employees and bring in his own people. If he doesn't have a replacement at this point why fire the guy. It would only make more work for him to look after.

  10. #9
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Running it? IMHO, that's exactly what has changed. He will be heading up the business side while reporting directly to Mr. Castellini. He won't be making the decisions anymore; Mr Castellini will.

    Don't you think that is huge?
    It's a step in the right direction....continue to make progress in the forward direction, and all of a sudden, this franchise is turned around, and us fans are in September cheering for a team fighting for a playoff spot...

  11. #10
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,173

    Re: John Allen

    Quote Originally Posted by steig
    Castellini has only been in full power for 2 days, give him a chance to make the proper judgements on employees and bring in his own people. If he doesn't have a replacement at this point why fire the guy. It would only make more work for him to look after.
    They didn't have a replacement when Bowden got fired. Worked out pretty well until the replacement showed up.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25