Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Hall: Fluke or the real deal?

Bill Hall: Fluke or the real deal?

Willy had a good year last year for the brew crew...but do you guys think he can repeat it again? Or, would you deal for him?
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Bill Hall: Fluke or the real deal?

Fluke. There is nothing in his major or MINOR league career that suggested this was coming.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I don't have the numbers in front of me so I can't say for sure but it just seems like he constantly murders us. Of course lots of guys carrying bats have been doing that for about 5 years now.

if he can play 2nd base I'd deal for him!!!!

He seems pretty streaky rather than solid but I'd deal for him just to keep from having to face him...seems to always be one of those guys we can't get out when it's necessary.

I don' think he'll OPS over .800 again, but if he can top .750 he's still pretty useful. He did great in A ball but then it appears the Brewers rushed him, maybe that stunted his growth as a player.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

He kills us.

[QUOTE=cincinnati chili]Fluke. There is nothing in his major or MINOR league career that suggested this was coming.[/QUOTE

I know this is an extreme case but Carlton Fisk was a better player in the Majors than he ever was in the minors. Better coaching less bus times seems to help some players do better.
    Last edited by Topcat; 01-22-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Fluke, but that one good year will convince some GM year after year that he's going to do it again.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If he plays the Reds 162 times a year he'd win the MVP and be on his way to Cooperstown.

I'd be shocked if he ever dupliates that power again. I think he has the potential to be a solid utility IF for the next 10 years. He plays pretty good D and isn't a complete hack. Has a bit of speed, but doesn't make great use of it. I'd expect a return to the .775 OPS level for the forseeable future.

Hall is expected to fill in at most infield positions this year, much like Rich Aurilia. Forgetting about the age and salary difference, would you rather have Rich or Bill?

Personally, I think the Reds woudl be "richer" with Bill.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    I know this is an extreme case but Carlton Fisk was a better player in the Majors than he ever was in the minors. Better coaching less bus times seems to help some players do better.
    I'm sure you didn't mean it, but this example is a tad misleading. Carlton Fisk was a top draft pick, then played high A ball at age 20 and destroyed the Midwest league's pitchers (1000+ OPS). It's true that he stagnated at Double-A at ages 21 and 22. But he at least was getting on base okay for a catcher (.321 and .333 OBP). Bill Hall, who also played Double AA at 21 had a .279 ON-BASE percentage.

The Brewers being the Brewers promoted him to the majors the very next year.

So the only major similarity I see between the two players is that they were both rushed to the majors before dominating either Triple-A or Double-A. But while Fisk was non-dominant, Hall flat-out sucked.

Generally speaking, guys who have zero prospect pedigree (Hall was a 6th round pick) and NEVER dominated in the minors (not only did Hall not dominate, but he only had a portion of one season where he was above-average), do not overnight figure out how to hit.

Bill Hall is a hacker, who developed a little more power last year. Pitchers will learn (some have already learned) to keep the ball off the fat part of the plate, and he'll get himself out most of the time.

Fisk career with minors' numbers

Bill Hall career with minors' numbers
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Bill Hall is a hacker, who developed a little more power last year. Pitchers will learn (some have already learned) to keep the ball off the fat part of the plate, and he'll get himself out most of the time.
    Just not our pitchers, eh?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

look at Hall's P/PA last year. it spiked to over 4. i think he's turned a corner, but i don't he'll OPS 800 again. however i do think he'll be a consistant 270/320/440 middle infield sub with a plus glove at short and second, and a plust arm at third. can't ask for much more than that out of your reseriver infielder.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    look at Hall's P/PA last year. it spiked to over 4. i think he's turned a corner,
    I didn't look at that, and that surprises me. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I didn't look at that, and that surprises me. Good call.
    of interesting note in 2005:
    Hall: 4.17 P/PA
    Dunn: 4.25 P/PA
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?