Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Hall: Fluke or the real deal?

Re: Bill Hall: Fluke or the real deal?

More so than other "tools," patience at the plate can be learned.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    More so than other "tools," patience at the plate can be learned.
    sort of. it can be taught, but it's more difficult than any other tool/skill. you'll never go from being Randall Simon to even being Raul Ibanez. but you probably can go from being Simon to Aaron Boone.

Hall himself attributes it to learning how to control his swing enough to foul off low outside pitches and high inside fastballs as opposed to laying off of them.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Very impressive, Ravenlord.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

it can be taught, but it's more difficult than any other tool/skill.
    Not sure I follow that. What makes it more difficult than hitting for average? Or hitting for power? Or, for that matter, running fast? Or throwing well?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Not sure I follow that. What makes it more difficult than hitting for average? Or hitting for power? Or, for that matter, running fast? Or throwing well?
    I THINK what he's saying is that Bill Hall hasn't necessarily become more selective, he's just developed the ability to get a piece of bad pitches that he swings at.

So that's not necessarily plate discipline, but improved bat speed, hand-eye coordination, or guessing what's coming.

Hall's walk rate is still subpar, but his strikeouts declined.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Hall doesn't handle RHPs very well (.319 OB last year). Probably the best you can expect from him is a Mariano Duncan type of career, with the same basic defensive deficiencies and some added pop.

A guy like that has his uses, but I wouldn't trade a whole lot to get him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I THINK what he's saying is that Bill Hall hasn't necessarily become more selective, he's just developed the ability to get a piece of bad pitches that he swings at.

So that's not necessarily plate discipline, but improved bat speed, hand-eye coordination, or guessing what's coming.

Hall's walk rate is still subpar, but his strikeouts declined.
    something like that. what he used to do with those pitches was try to drive them, and the result was usually swinging through it or popping up to the catcher. he still can't lay off of them, but can recognize them soon enough to keep his hands back and foul them off, rather than still try to hit them hard.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Just bringing this back up, I heard just a second ago Hall's HR total during the game broadcast so here's the numbers.

279 AVG/329 OBP/617 SLG, 15 HR, 15 2B, 4 3B

The OBP isn't too terribly impressive, nor is the IsoD, but check out his Slugging &. That is VERY, VERY impressive.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Fluke. There is nothing in his major or MINOR league career that suggested this was coming.
    The numbers must be miscalculated.

I'm NEVER wrong.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I don' think he'll OPS over .800 again, but if he can top .750 he's still pretty useful. He did great in A ball but then it appears the Brewers rushed him, maybe that stunted his growth as a player.
    spot on again I see.

Code:
    areer: Batting | Fielding
    SEASON 	TEAM 	G 	AB 	R 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	RBI 	BB 	SO 	SB 	CS 	AVG 	OBP 	SLG 	OPS

2006 	Mil 	56 	205 	39 	56 	15 	4 	15 	34 	16 	58 	2 	2 	.273 	.326 	.605 	.931
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?