Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox near deal for Coco Crisp

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Red Sox near deal for Coco Crisp

Per ESPN.com.

Reports: Red Sox near deal for Indians OF Coco Crisp
    ESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox are nearing completion on deals that would bring them Cleveland Indians outfielder Coco Crisp and free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez, according to published reports.

The Boston Herald, citing unnamed baseball sources, reported that the Red Sox and Indians had agreed in principle on a deal that would send Crisp to Boston along with a swap of prospects.

The Boston Globe, also citing multiple major league sources, reported the team was still working on a deal for Crisp as well as a free-agent deal with Gonzalez, formerly of the Florida Marlins. Both newspapers said the Red Sox would include third-base prospect Andy Marte, who was acquired from the Atlanta Braves in the Edgar Renteria trade, as well as reliever Guillermo Mota.

The Herald reported the deal hinged on the Indians' ability to acquire another outfielder, possibly in a trade for the Phillies' Jason Michaels or through signing free agent Jeff DaVanon, formerly of the Angels.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox near deal for Coco Crisp

If the Tribe are getting Marte for Crisp, I'd say well done Cleveland.

That's the kind of bold move that good organizations make. Bad organizations sit on their valuable assets until they are no longer valuable. Hmmm....

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

[QUOTE=dsmith421]If the Tribe are getting Marte for Crisp, I'd say well done Cleveland.

Agreed.

Mark Shapiro continues to make sound moves.

He somehow managed to deal Chuck Finley for Crisp. Followed by the ensuing deal for Mr. Marte.

The Indians are doing all of the little things that the Reds aren't.

Little things like:

Scouting.

Drafting.

Signing draftees.

Developing said draftees.

Maximizing return whilst in selling mode.

i rarely got to see Crisp bat against anyone but the Reds.
    and from the looks of those few at bats, Crisp is THE greatest hitter of all time, bar none.
    but then again, that could have only been against Reds pitching. or my very limited imagination.

I have a feeling this will be the third time I see Andy Marte on Baseball America on the top 10 team report.

Top prospect for the Braves, Red Sox, and possibly the Indians. At least he should have an easier time knocking Aaron Boone out of the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421

That's the kind of bold move that good organizations make. Bad organizations sit on their valuable assets until they are no longer valuable. Hmmm....
    Not only are they getting Marte, they are getting Mota.

DanO always wants the house and the car with his players instead of one or the other.. I think he finally found a team that would give him that plus a household pet.

This is a steal of a deal for Cleveland.. even if they have to throw in a prospect.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

[QUOTE=Revering4Blue]
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421

Agreed.

Mark Shapiro continues to make sound moves.

He somehow managed to deal Chuck Finley for Crisp. Followed by the ensuing deal for Mr. Marte.

The Indians are doing all of the little things that the Reds aren't.

Little things like:

Scouting.

Drafting.

Signing draftees.

Developing said draftees.

Maximizing return whilst in selling mode.

Thats true. Cleveland needed bullpen help last season.. if they had it down the streatch they may of been a playoff team. Cleveland almost made it to the playoffs 2 years ago, then just last year. This team I believe will make it there this year. I think the GM thinks the same and is already building for a playoff run. Marte may start the season at AAA or could battle in spring for a spot... but he no doubt will get the call come september and will more than likly be an upgrade over A Boone at 3 Bag.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

It's a good deal, for sure, but not one the Indians need to make.

The Tribe needs a power hitting OF'er. If they are giving up Crisp for Marte and Mota, who plays LF now? Leaves you with Grady Sizemore and two question marks. Franklin Gutierrez isn't ready yet, and Casey Blake is not an OF'er, even though he did OK last year.

Rumor is the Tribe might send LHP Arthur Rhodes or RHP Rafael Bentacourt to Philadelphia for OF Jason Michaels.

As for the Crisp for Marte/Mota deal.....excellent deal for both teams.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Why do the Red Sox want to bother with Alex Gonzalez? If they want a good-glove, no-hit shortstop they have Alex Cora?

The rest of it is interesting. Jason Michaels needs to be starting somewhere. I find Coco Crisp to be overrated, but he's great for his salary.
    Stick to your guns.

I think Crisp will seem less overrated, at least as an offensive player, as a starting CF playing half his games at Fenway rather than a LF playing half his games at the Jake. Big difference in park factor and defensive value there. He's also right at that age where he might not have reached his peak quite yet.

If the Red Sox start Cora, they don't really have an adequate back up for him who they'd want to make the team out of camp. If Gonzalez is cheap enough it's probably worth it for that and the better defense, but it's possible that they'll use them almost like a platoon, using specific match-ups more than lefty-righty.

I dont know seems to me like this might be a little bit of a reach by a desperate Epstein trying to get the Red Sox looking a little better before the season starts. I think just about everyone would agree that right now the Yankees and possibly even Blue Jays are looking better then Boston. Just seems like an awful lot for Crisp.

Well. I would offer Freel to BOS for the same deal, despite having EE at 3B. Freel would be just as good or better than Crisp in CF IMO, and is more versatile as well.

Turn Off Ads?