Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

Re: Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I hope to see Mike D'Andrea, Marcus Freeman and Thaddeus Gibson/Larry Grant to start the year.

While there is the inexperience factor, there is a metric ton of talent in that group.
    Don't count out Laurenitis (sp?), the wrestler's kid from Minnesota, who filled in admirably during the Michigan game after Carpenter's injury
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

John Kerr might sneak in there somewhere too.
    The redshirt freshmen and young special teamers from this year will all probably be in the mix. They wouldn't be short on talent even without this great class. How that talent performs come game time is/was the issue. If he's healthy, I think Freeman's the only sure thing to start out of all of them.

Everyone seems to be worried about the defense (losing 9 starters)...trust me, the defense will be just fine... I know it's overused but they truly will just "reload."

And the offense will put up some sick numbers in '06.

Should be another fun season!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Everyone seems to be worried about the defense (losing 9 starters)...trust me, the defense will be just fine... I know it's overused but they truly will just "reload."

And the offense will put up some sick numbers in '06.

Should be another fun season!

The scary thing about the defense is many are saying it has the potential to be faster this year. There is a lot of quickness that can hopefully step in, especially in the secondary. At LB OSU should be fin with several capable players to fill the roll. There were rumors that D'Andrea might switch to D-line depending on his quickness. I think if he stepped in there he could almost be like a Kudla and line up in a linebacker position in some formations. The secondary is the only question mark. I would think Gonzalez or Ginn is going to have to play both ways at times but I sure hope an underclassman steps up and proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    John Kerr might sneak in there somewhere too.
    The redshirt freshmen and young special teamers from this year will all probably be in the mix. They wouldn't be short on talent even without this great class. How that talent performs come game time is/was the issue. If he's healthy, I think Freeman's the only sure thing to start out of all of them.

I thought I read somedwhere about Kerr not even being on the 2-deep now possibly. I am thinking just o-zone message board, but still.... Lots can change in a short time though.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

The difference between Ohio State and Indiana? John Kerr, an standout at Indiana, a benchwarmer, with issues at OSU. He was a solid contributer on special teams, and should provide quality depth. He just is an inch short and a step slow. Those are the breaks. In the games he did play mop up in this year, he was more of a pile jumper than a pile maker. I think Laurinitis is a much better player at this point.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I thought I read somedwhere about Kerr not even being on the 2-deep now possibly. I am thinking just o-zone message board, but still.... Lots can change in a short time though.
    could be. I think he gets in the doghouse a lot from what I've read. They seem to like to reward seniors in the end though, so who knows

So where does this class rank nationally, FWIW?

10ish I think.

OSU is currently ranked 12th. Michigan is 13th.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think they're 8th or 9th on Rivals.com. But that's not the main thing to look at. The main thing is to look at holes to fill and the kind of kids you're going after. With those criteria in mind, you have to give OSU an A+ for this year's class. Plus, they got the guy many believe to be the best recruit in the country (Chris Wells). They ended up with several guys that could have an imediate impact.

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I think they're 8th or 9th on Rivals.com. But that's not the main thing to look at. The main thing is to look at holes to fill and the kind of kids you're going after. With those criteria in mind, you have to give OSU an A+ for this year's class. Plus, they got the guy many believe to be the best recruit in the country (Chris Wells). They ended up with several guys that could have an imediate impact.
    Yea, I think that in the past, the class rankings have focused too much on quantity than quality, but its still good as a limited yardstick. They certainly are stockpiling. One thing that is good to see is that there are some studs in the classroom and guys starting early. It seems like JT is starting to get a little Dukeish in getting strong overall recruits instead of jocks. Of course, there is always the apprehension of saying that when I know there is likely 1 or 2 potential flunkouts or criminals in this class because of the nature of the beast

Quote from JT about this year's class
    MANSFIELD NEWS JOURNAL

Despite reeling in the nation's No. 1 running back prospect and arguably the best group of linebackers, the Buckeyes did not earn a consensus top 10 ranking. In most polls, they finished third in the Midwest behind Penn State and Notre Dame. Rivals.com ranked OSU 12th overall and Bill Kurelic of Midwest Football Recruiting News had the Buckeyes 10th.

The Buckeyes were downgraded for only landing two offensive linemen, though one of them is Cincinnati Colerain's Connor Smith, a Parade All-American and one of the top six linemen in the country.

"I don't have a whole lot consternation about it," Tressel said. "I've been here five years and can tell you exactly what our record was those five years. But I can't tell you where we ranked in recruiting. Having a top 10 class validates you a little bit, but until the players come in and do anything you're not truly validated."
    BTW, ESPN's Scouts, Inc. has this year's Buckeye recruiting class ranked #7--best in the Big 10.

Some additional points worth making:

1) Ohio State has seven Top 100 recruits, tied for second in the nation behind USC (11).

2) They have the nation’s #1 recruit (Chris Wells) and

3) They have the nation’s #1 fullback (Aram Olson) to block for him

4) Ten of 20 recruits are from out-of state this year with the geographical dispersion being two from Florida, three from California and one each from Georgia, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Indiana and Michigan

5) They had eight of the top ten recruits in Ohio.

Not only do the Buckeyes have great recruits, they also have recruited at the positions that need the help. That’s something that isn’t measured quite as readily in the overall rankings.

Only USC had more top-100s than OSU. OSU had 7 of 20 in the top 100. Then Grant was a 5-star JUCO and Ballard and Coleman were former top-100 picks. To me, that's the equivalent of 10 top-125 players. And they somehow end up ranked behind Auburn with 2 top-100 guys?

The Bucks got exactly who they wanted--and needed. And that's really all that matters.
    Last edited by max venable; 02-03-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Turn Off Ads?