Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

Signing day is 10 days away and Ohio State is closing as strong as it ever has in the Jim Tressel era.

"Jim Tressel classes tend to start great and slowly pick up a few players as time goes along," said analyst Duane Long, the recruiting editor for Ohio High magazine and Bucknuts.com. "This year, they're finishing with a flourish."

Last week, Ohio State picked up three oral commitments: Glenville lineman Bryant Browning, safety Aaron Gant of St. Mary Prep in Michigan, and Aram Olson of Irmo High in Columbia, S.C. That brings the Buckeyes to 18 players in this class, with another four or five scholarships available.

Long said three players are the key to this week's final push: Euclid linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, Glenville receiver Raymond Small and Derrell Johnson from Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. Another prominent possibility is junior-college linebacker Larry Grant. Small has said he'll announce his choice on signing day, on Feb. 1, though Long believes both Gibson and Small are leaning toward the Buckeyes.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

thanks for the info go bucks!!!!!

Ray Small unfortunetly will wind up at USC for one simple reason......grades. His grades are a HUGE question mark right now. It's no secret that OSU is his first choice, but if the grades just aren't there he'll have to go to USC.

Larry Grant got back off his official visit today and even though he says he will take his visit to Oregon and make his decision on signing day he's Ohio State's to lose. He's a huge get this year, especially with the lack of depth they will have at linebacker.

Thaddeus Gibson would be another huge get for this class. I'm worried that he's a Michigan lean though. It is down to OSU, Michigan and Tennessee but it's widely believed it's between OSU and Michigan.

Top to bottom, this is an extremely nice class and could only get better with Grant and/or Gibson.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

By the way.....Aram Olson is a S T U D, stud! He will probably redshirt next year though but if you watch film of the guy he just makes you say "wow"!

Aram Olson blocking for Chris Wells is a scary, scary thought for the rest of the Big Ten come 2007.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This is good to hear and it cheers me up. This morning, I was reading the college choices of the top 100 high school players here in Texas and was disappointed to see Ohio State not landing any of them.

It's being reported the Thaddeus Gibson called up coach Tressel and gave him his verbal committment this morning!

Let's hope the grades are in order because he can make an immediate impact for the Buckeyes come fall!

This is a bit of a surprise to me. I had myself built up for him to verbal to Michigan but he proved me wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    It's being reported the Thaddeus Gibson called up coach Tressel and gave him his verbal committment this morning!

Let's hope the grades are in order because he can make an immediate impact for the Buckeyes come fall!

This is a bit of a surprise to me. I had myself built up for him to verbal to Michigan but he proved me wrong!
    I'm hearing the same thing...looks like he's a Buckeye...huge verbal for the Bucks!

Redsfan30, Ray Small is an absolute lock for Ohio State. Zero chance of USC getting him. All Glenville players go to OSU.

OSU is having a great class, but the class that Florida and USC is bringing in is sick. I believe SC has 7 five star commits so far with a solid chance at three more.

Florida landed the #1 recruit a few weeks back in Percy Harvin of Virginia Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Redsfan30, Ray Small is an absolute lock for Ohio State. Zero chance of USC getting him. All Glenville players go to OSU.
    It is no secret that he is Ohio State all the way. But grades are a major, major concern with him. If he can't get through admissions he will not be a Buckeye.

It would not surprise me at all to see Ray verbal to Ohio State and sign a LOI on February 1. But it does not end there for him. He may very well sign without being admitted and this could turn into a Freddie Lenix situation from a year ago. Freddie signed with Ohio State knowing grades were bad and was forced to transfer to Cincinnati because he did not get through Ohio State's admissions.

Hopefully that doesn't happen with Small because he can add much needed depth on the corners at Ohio State. I'm just not holding my breath.

From Steve Helwagen and Duane Long at bucknuts.com:
    no matter how the rest of the class fills out between now and the actual day the seniors sign a letter of intent on Feb. 1, Ohio State fans already have a whole lot to be excited about. Whoever else they land from this point on should be considered merely a bonus.

With national signing day just around the corner, we are able to get a bird’s eye view of the 2006 recruiting class.
    We will see what a deep class it was. Look at the schools that took Ohio talent this year. Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Auburn and Notre Dame all came to Ohio in search of talent.

That also shows where Ohio State is in stature. There has been enough national success to ask the question, “Is Ohio State a national recruiting power?”

The fact that the staff could pass on players that drew some of the nation's heavyweights to Ohio answers that question. The other thing that will be remembered, possibly the most important thing, is the impact of more stringent academic standards. This class is surely top 10 and is at least in the discussion for top five. Thaddeus Gibson and Raymond Small are top 100 players. Derrell Johnson is a great player. What does the class look like if all three of them make it?
    I think they make some good points.

Small officially commited to OSU within the last hour. OSU is recruiting him as a slot WR.

Nothing against Roy Hall or Albert Dukes, but the Glenville Trio of Ginn, Small & Smith are going to really do some damage for the Buckeyes this year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I wouldn't count Dukes out. Small needs to enroll in OSU and make it through fall camp before I get excited about him. For as good as Glenville's been for OSU, the Hiley's and Lennix's are starting to add up.

Looks like Larry Grant is going to commit to the Bucks as well. Once they land him...it's a top 5 class.

My man JT knows how to get it done.

By the way, Rivals.com has OSU listed as their preseason #1 for 2006:
    http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=502125

Go Bucks!

I like the recruiting class, but I just don't see them being the best team in the country. They're losing 3 out of their defenseive linebackers and all 3 starting linebackers. I'm also concerned they're losing 2 offensive lineman who played really well most of last year. They're going to have some growing pains next year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?