Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox acquire Crisp

Red Sox acquire Crisp

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=122417

Sox reach deal for CF Crisp
    By Tony Massarotti
    Boston Herald Baseball Columnist and General Sports Columnist

Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Updated: 11:46 AM EST

With the return of Theo Epstein all but formalized, the Red Sox now appear on the verge of concluding a heretofore tumultuous offseason by acquiring both center fielder Coco Crisp and shortstop Alex Gonzalez.

And not a moment too soon.

According to baseball sources, the Red Sox and Cleveland Indians have agreed in principle on a deal that will bring outfielder Crisp to the Sox in a multi-player trade. The deal was agreed upon several days ago under the condition that Cleveland be able to acquire another outfielder to replace Crisp, presumably Jason Michaels from the Philadelphia Phillies.

There was some indication that the Phillies and Indians were hoping to complete the deal for Michaels as soon as last night. Cleveland was believed to be sending one of two relievers - left-hander Arthur Rhodes or right-hander Rafael Betancourt - to the Phillies in exchange for Michaels.

In the event of a breakdown in talks between the Phillies and Indians, Cleveland was believed to have serious interest in free agent outfielder Jeff DaVanon as a replacement for Crisp.

The Red Sox will send a package including reliever Guillermo Mota and prospect Andy Marte to the Indians. The inclusion of Mota in the deal explains why the Sox signed free agent reliever Julian Tavarez to a two-year contract despite having a bullpen that already included Keith Foulke, Mike Timlin, Mota, Rudy Seanez and, perhaps, Jonathan Papelbon.

Marte was acquired by the Sox earlier this offseason in the deal that sent Edgar Renteria to the Atlanta Braves. At the time, one Sox official described Marte as a “bargaining chip,” an asset the club now has to implement given the departure of center fielder Johnny Damon.

Beyond the acquisition of Crisp, the Sox also are about to sign free agent Gonzalez. The 28-year-old former Florida Marlins shortstop, is a free-swinging, career .264 hitter with little power, but he is regarded as a very good defensive player. He will likely bat ninth in a revamped Sox lineup that should feature much-improved infield defense. [continue]
    Last edited by Spitball; 01-22-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Red Sox acquire Crisp

Ok, who was it that called for this move? During all the Tejada talk, someone here said the Sox should acquire Crisp...scary.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Ok, who was it that called for this move? During all the Tejada talk, someone here said the Sox should acquire Crisp...scary.
    Actually, the rumors of the Sox acquiring Crisp or Jeremy Reed were in the Boston media, even before Damon was officially lost to the Yankees.

The people here are often prescient, but this rumor was out there.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

On the surface, that seems like an awful lot to give up for Crisp.

Got to love Cleveland's young offense. However, that's some shaky pitching. The aughts Tribe is starting to look a lot like the Tribe of the '90s.

At least they're true to their DNA.

For selfish reasons I'm glad Crisp is coming to Boston. He's fun to watch.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    On the surface, that seems like an awful lot to give up for Crisp.
    It is, but I also thought the Red Sox made out like bandits by getting Marte for Renteria. Renteria and Crisp are good players but not the type of guys you ought to be getting in return for the top prospect in baseball, as Marte was considered last winter. So the obvious explanation is that Marte's stock has slipped.
    Not all who wander are lost

Or maybe the Sox was desperate for a centerfielder?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Somehow I don't think Theo uses priceline.com
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Or maybe the Sox was desperate for a centerfielder?
    They got a good one.

Good deal for both teams.
    Go Gators!

Crisp is a very productive CF but much more replaceable as a LF. It really makes the Tribe thin in the OF but Shapiro knows replacing corner OFs is easier than getting a potential star at 3B where they have few prospects.

As for pitching, Shapiro is big on Sowers and Carmona whom both he considers untouchable in trade talk. I don't see Carmona as more than a 4-5 but Sowers should solidify the rotation sooner than later.

In any event, a good deal for both teams with an eye for the future for Cleveland (a necessity with their limited payroll).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Got to love Cleveland's young offense. However, that's some shaky pitching. The aughts Tribe is starting to look a lot like the Tribe of the '90s.
    Fortunately, they've got some decent pitching at various levels of their minor leagues -- they should be well poised to mix some younger arms into their staff over the next two years, which should do wonders for the long-term viability of the major league roster.

Sowers has great stuff, and could be up in the majors by midseason if he continues on his torrid pace. They've also got a kid name Fausto Carmona in AAA who hasn't posted great numbers yet, but is only 22 and is supposedly a great control guy that figures out to a solid #3 or #4.

Indians pitching should be fine...they've shown they're in this for the long haul and that's a view that should serve them very well.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Found this among the news reports from google. Interesting, but typical:

It is believed the Sox and Indians came close to a three-team trade involving the Cincinnati Reds that would have landed Crisp and pitcher David Riske in Boston, only to have matters fall apart due to Reds’ reluctance.

The Indians instead will get Michaels, who was sentenced to 100 hours of community service on Friday to settle charges that he assaulted a Philadelphia police officer outside of a nightclub on July 3. He agreed to a $1.5 million, one-year contract with the Phillies last week after batting .304 with four homers in 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Fortunately, they've got some decent pitching at various levels of their minor leagues -- they should be well poised to mix some younger arms into their staff over the next two years, which should do wonders for the long-term viability of the major league roster.

Sowers has great stuff, and could be up in the majors by midseason if he continues on his torrid pace. They've also got a kid name Fausto Carmona in AAA who hasn't posted great numbers yet, but is only 22 and is supposedly a great control guy that figures out to a solid #3 or #4.

Indians pitching should be fine...they've shown they're in this for the long haul and that's a view that should serve them very well.
    I'm extremely low on Carmona. My guess is Shapiro's hoping to flip him for someone more established. The Indians rode a number of older pitchers to success in 2005. In many cases, it might have been a last gasp (plus a big chunk of them have gone onto other organizations). Lee, Sabathia and Westbrook will need to improve across the board for the team to be as good in 2006. The bullpen's also a big question mark.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm extremely low on Carmona. My guess is Shapiro's hoping to flip him for someone more established.
    Like I said, his numbers aren't great and his strikeout ratios in particular would probably scare me off ever giving anything worthwhile up for him, but he's also got a big frame (6'4 - 220) and is a pretty young guy (22) that has probably been pushed a little too fast through the minor leagues. There's definately some room for development.

He's strictly back of the rotation material, but as pitching starved as most clubs are right now, the Indians should be able to get good value out of him if Shapiro decides to go that route. If they decide to keep him, I think there might be some value there as well.

He would be quite servicable for acquiring some good bullpen arms, if nothing else.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It is believed the Sox and Indians came close to a three-team trade involving the Cincinnati Reds that would have landed Crisp and pitcher David Riske in Boston, only to have matters fall apart due to Redsí reluctance.
    Interesting. It now looks like the Red Sox will get Riske and Josh Bard, and will additionally give up catcher Kelly Shoppach.

The Red Sox, according to a source with knowledge of the deal, have reached agreement in principle with the Indians on a complex six-player deal centered upon 26-year-old Coco Crisp that also will bring to town a quality setup man in 28-year-old David Riske and young catcher Josh Bard.

Boston will ship top prospect Andy Marte, reliever Guillermo Mota, and catcher Kelly Shoppach to Cleveland. The deal is contingent upon physicals. The only player in the deal with a known and recent injury issue is Mota, who missed a month last season with the Marlins because of inflammation in his throwing elbow...

Because of the need to exchange and carefully process medical records, the deal is unlikely to be announced any sooner than the middle or end of this week.

Source: http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...to_crisp_deal/
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Turn Off Ads?