Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox acquire Crisp

Re: Red Sox acquire Crisp

I don't think this is a done deal yet and the post did fool me if that was the intention it worked but i am sure some posters get a little ticked when the post is misleading i know i do lets wait til all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted before the post.GO CINCY!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

This bit is from rotoworld and suggests the Reds' deal involved Mota. Glad they passed if that was it. Would rather have Riske at 1.8 mill than Mota and his questionable health:

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the Indians will trade Coco Crisp to Boston for Andy Marte and Guillermo Mota and then send Arthur Rhodes to the Phillies for Jason Michaels.
    No mention of David Riske or the catcher swap here. The Boston Herald also suggests that Riske is no longer part of the deal, because a three-team trade with the Reds fell through. It's the first we've heard of the Reds' involvement, but it would make sense for them to want Mota as a closer candidate. If Rosenthal's version of the way events will unfold is correct, then this is an unbelievable win for the Indians.

Looks like Cast may have shot down a soaring O'brien lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Looks like Cast may have shot down a soaring O'brien lol!!!
    a soaring O'brien

That's hillrious
    Go Gators!

Post To Contact

Latest report I have on this situation is the deal is on hold as Guillermo Mota has apparently failed his physical. CLE may be interested in adding a younger reliever from the Sox if BOS still wants David Riske on their end as part of it, because CLE is quite keen on getting Andy Marte (and understandably so), and don't want the deal to fall through (and subsequent Arthur Rhodes-Jason Michaels deal with PHI).
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    Latest report I have on this situation is the deal is on hold as Guillermo Mota has apparently failed his physical. CLE may be interested in adding a younger reliever from the Sox if BOS still wants David Riske on their end as part of it, because CLE is quite keen on getting Andy Marte (and understandably so), and don't want the deal to fall through (and subsequent Arthur Rhodes-Jason Michaels deal with PHI).
    BD,
    Do you or your sources have any reason to believe that the "failure" in the physical was some type of retribution for the Red Sox (read: Lucchino) jerking around with the "in principle" deal?
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    BD,
    Do you or your sources have any reason to believe that the "failure" in the physical was some type of retribution for the Red Sox (read: Lucchino) jerking around with the "in principle" deal?
    Yeah, that'd be a real interesting angle... I see what you're getting at, Chili, but to be honest, I couldn't tell you. I know Mota's agent (I think Katz) hit the affiliate in either Cleveland or Philadelphia (covering because of the Jason Michaels involvement to CLE) and was full-throttle in deny mode about Mota's physical, saying the doctor never said it was a failure. CLE could just not be approving it themselves, but this Crisp deal is on hold for now, subsequently putting the Michaels-Rhodes deal with CLE and PHI on hold. The really interesting thing is this will intensify Kearns rumors with BOTH CLE and BOS now, because both are openly interested in them, with Westbrook and Clement as reported offers, respectively.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

Just read this on rotoworld.....

According to the Boston Herald, the Reds are interested in getting back into the Coco Crisp deal, making a nine-player swap a possibility.
    We're still not sure of the details here, but as reported earlier, Matt Clement would likely go to Cincinnati and Austin Kearns would be sent to Cleveland. We assume Andy Marte would still go Cleveland. Also, the agreed-upon Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes swap would probably be killed off. Jan. 25 - 3:28 am et

9 player swaps are or could be fun. Anything on this Donkey?
    Matta = Really good

This ought to get people further riles at Dano.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...YUbTTUWUXUWUZT

O'Brien reportedly balked at Clement deal

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | If some believe former Reds general manager Dan O'Brien misbehaved when he traded Sean Casey to Pittsburgh in December for pitcher Dave Williams, O'Brien said the trade was made in concert with Chief Operating Officer John Allen and then-owner Carl Lindner.

Some believe that concert was way off-tune. Did new owner Bob Castellini sign off on the deal? His purchase of the Reds was announced in November, a month before the Casey trade, but he wasn't approved as an owner by Major League Baseball until last week.

"At the time I was dealing with Allen and Lindner, but it is my assumption that Bob Castellini was kept abreast of it, although I don't know that for sure," O'Brien said Tuesday.

Maybe, though, the last event that sealed O'Brien's firing Monday was a deal he didn't make as late as last week.

The Reds, Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Indians were in a three-way discussion, working on a proposal that would have brought pitcher Matt Clement to the Reds from the Red Sox. The Reds would have sent outfielder Austin Kearns to Cleveland and the Tribe would have sent outfielder Coco Crisp, catcher Josh Bard and pitcher David Riske to the Red Sox.

At the last moment, Boston front office people say, the Reds backed out.

Ironically, Clement nearly came to Cincinnati as a free agent from the Chicago Cubs two years ago for a three-year $22.4 million deal. He chose the Red Sox. That $22.4 million then was used by O'Brien to sign pitcher Eric Milton, another deal that put him in hot water.

Nevertheless, O'Brien said he can describe in two words his reaction Monday morning when Castellini fired him: "deep disappointment."

O'Brien feels he wasn't given enough time for his groundwork to bring fruition, especially his work at rebuilding the farm system.

"Winning right away was not a realistic goal," he said. "But the Reds have good minor-league scouting in place and a Latin American presence that should lead to success. We did quality work that will stand the test of time. We'll have players we drafted in the past two years moving from Class A to Class AA and many will be ready for the majors in a couple of years.

"We were not given the time to carry our plan to a championship and that's too bad," he said. "I would have liked to have been a part of it."

Meanwhile, Castellini is busy getting permission from other teams to talk with potential GM candidates.

One source with a highly successful baseball background said Castellini should hire Florida vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings.

"He isn't the GM, but he runs the show in Florida," said the source, who is not associated with the Marlins but still is in baseball.

"He is a beginning Terry Ryan (Minnesota GM) and Pat Gillick (Philadelphia GM)," the source said. "He is a baseball-builder, everything the Reds are looking for. He is ready to be a GM, he has been sitting on ready for a long time."

Jennings began his career as an associate scout with the Reds and learned under legendary Reds scouts Julian Mock and George Zuraw. Before landing in Florida, Jennings was Director of Player Personnel for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, "And he is responsible for all those great young kids the Devil Rays have," the source said.

"Dan will change everything around to the way it was when the Reds were great under Bob Howsam — he is Bob Howsam-oriented. It would be a pity if the Reds overlooked him. If they hire him, Bob Castellini will be the happiest man in the world because he'll love him, the fans will love him and the players will love him."

Jennings was not interviewed before the Reds hired O'Brien.

Jennings and Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella are close friends and worked well together with the Devil Rays. Hiring Jennings would be a large inducement for Piniella to return to the Reds, perhaps as manager, in 2007.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    Just read this on rotoworld.....

According to the Boston Herald, the Reds are interested in getting back into the Coco Crisp deal, making a nine-player swap a possibility.
    We're still not sure of the details here, but as reported earlier, Matt Clement would likely go to Cincinnati and Austin Kearns would be sent to Cleveland. We assume Andy Marte would still go Cleveland. Also, the agreed-upon Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes swap would probably be killed off. Jan. 25 - 3:28 am et

9 player swaps are or could be fun. Anything on this Donkey?
    If Kullman pulls that off he officially gets my vote for the GM's job.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

New players in the GM chairs of Boston and Cincy, with Theo reinstated. Maybe they'll get it done.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

One source with a highly successful baseball background said Castellini should hire Florida vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings.

"He isn't the GM, but he runs the show in Florida," said the source, who is not associated with the Marlins but still is in baseball.

"He is a beginning Terry Ryan (Minnesota GM) and Pat Gillick (Philadelphia GM)," the source said. "He is a baseball-builder, everything the Reds are looking for. He is ready to be a GM, he has been sitting on ready for a long time."
    One source? Jack McKeon?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Nah Jack would want the job himself
    Go Gators!

I got this from ESPN. Apparently O' Brien killed off the trade that would have sent Kearns to Boston and Clement to the Reds last week as part of the Crisp deal. With O' Brien gone they may attempt this to get an agreement on this trade again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2305550

So it's also possible that, with the firing of Reds GM Dan O'Brien, the Indians and Red Sox will attempt to revive their much-discussed three-way trade with Cincinnati that would have sent Kearns to Cleveland, Crisp to Boston and Matt Clement to Cincinnati. It was O'Brien who killed the most recent version of that one last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I got this from ESPN. Apparently O' Brien killed off the trade that would have sent Kearns to Boston and Clement to the Reds last week as part of the Crisp deal. With O' Brien gone they may attempt this to get an agreement on this trade again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2305550
    Yes please. Revive that.

Puffy, I continue to loathe Dan O'Brien, in every way possible.

Turn Off Ads?