Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox acquire Crisp

Re: Red Sox rumored to acquire Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    ???

The Reds don't currently have a player named named Lugo on the roster.

And Cleveland's been dancing around with Boston for weeks now, which means it would have been DanO's lameduck regime working the deal. This sounds like pure BS to me.
    IIRC, Team Clark is now a part of the D-Rays organization in some capacity, so he's talking about the D-Rays trying to put something together with the Red Sox.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    IIRC, Team Clark is now a part of the D-Rays organization in some capacity, so he's talking about the D-Rays trying to put something together with the Red Sox.
    Possibly, still stinks of BS though.

I can believe the teams were talking about the possibility of the Reds helping to broker such a deal, but that it was "in place" is probably nothing more than the fancy of someone who got jilted. Notice that it's a rumor that doesn't mention any players from the Reds or the Red Sox and then you've got to factor in that DanO's personal inertia and the short leash of a pending new ownership were involved as well.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Possibly, still stinks of BS though.

I can believe the teams were talking about the possibility of the Reds helping to broker such a deal, but that it was "in place" is probably nothing more than the fancy of someone who got jilted. Notice that it's a rumor that doesn't mention any players from the Reds or the Red Sox and then you've got to factor in that DanO's personal inertia and the short leash of a pending new ownership were involved as well.
    I'll let TC speak for himself here, but I just took it that TC was saying that The Rays were trying to put a deal together with BOS (no CIN involvement) for Lugo, and had a deal in place but then BOS started talking with CLE and the deal fell apart. Why? I don't know. We might find out, though as today's PHI-CLE deal still leaves BOS without a SS and an CF, same as they were before any talks with CLE started.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'll let TC speak for himself here, but I just took it that TC was saying that The Rays were trying to put a deal together with BOS (no CIN involvement) for Lugo, and had a deal in place but then BOS started talking with CLE and the deal fell apart. Why? I don't know. We might find out, though as today's PHI-CLE deal still leaves BOS without a SS and an CF, same as they were before any talks with CLE started.
    Except that wouldn't be a deal that was in place. That would be that some people were talking, but it never amounted to much.

I don't know where TC heard this one, but my initial take is that it's someone who was short on details and big on overstatement.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Except that wouldn't be a deal that was in place. That would be that some people were talking, but it never amounted to much.

True dat.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Post To Contact

Looks like the deal is probably back on now. Could be announced tonight. Same principals involved, Crisp, Riske and Bard for Marte, Mota and Shoppach. CLE is comfortable enough with Jason Michaels (and Todd Hollandsworth should Michaels fall a little) that they're looking to complete the deal. Marte is the key factor for them, obviously.
    Last edited by Big Donkey; 01-27-2006 at 06:32 PM.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

According to Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News the Red Sox - Indians trade is almost completed. He also mentions the Reds at the end of the article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5282852

Coco Crisp looks like he's going to the Red Sox, after all.

The Sox and Indians are close to completing their much-discussed, multi-player trade in which the Sox will acquire Crisp to be their new center fielder, FOXSports.com has learned.
    The Indians agreed Friday to send left-hander Arthur Rhodes to the Phillies for outfielder Jason Michaels, pending physicals, according to the Associated Press. That trade is necessary for the Indians only if they trade Crisp, who likely will be replaced by a platoon of Michaels and Todd Hollandsworth.

The Red Sox are near completion with a deal that would make the Indians' Coco Crisp their new center fielder. (John Grieshop/MLB Photos / Getty Images)

The exact particulars of the Red Sox-Indians trade are not known, but it is expected that the Indians will receive top third-base prospect Andy Marte and reliever Guillermo Mota.

The original agreement between the teams reportedly had Marte, Mota and catcher Kelly Shoppach going to the Indians for Crisp, reliever David Riske and catcher Josh Bard, pending physicals.

The Indians, troubled by the results of Mota's physical, asked that the deal be reworked, specifically requesting that the Red Sox include right-hander Manny Delcarmen.

The completion of the Crisp trade also is expected to result in the Red Sox's signing of free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez. The Sox might have pursued a trade for Devil Rays shortstop Julio Lugo had they failed to acquire Crisp.

In recent days, the Red Sox and Indians revived three-way discussions with the Reds about a deal that would have sent Crisp to the Red Sox, outfielder Austin Kearns to the Indians and Red Sox right-hander Matt Clement to the Reds, but those talks proved fruitless.

The Reds, after giving indications that they would be aggressive in pursuing trades following the firing of general manager Dan O'Brien, are modifying that stance under orders from new owner Bob Castellini, according to a major-league source. Interim general manager Brad Kullman could still trade Kearns and others, but the team isn't as anxious to make a deal.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 01-27-2006 at 06:34 PM.

New boss, same hesitancy- well I can understand wanting to get my feet under me before doing any significant moves.

Tribe could still be interested in Kearns as a replacement for Blake and Blake in turn being the super sub. Of course that would involve Westbrook and not the preferred Clement. Michaels will replace crisp at the top of the order with his excellent .399 OBP.

Thanks RF for the pasting the article earlier, was in a hurry.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    New boss, same hesitancy- well I can understand wanting to get my feet under me before doing any significant moves.

Tribe could still be interested in Kearns as a replacement for Blake and Blake in turn being the super sub. Of course that would involve Westbrook and not the preferred Clement. Michaels will replace crisp at the top of the order with his excellent .399 OBP.

Thanks RF for the pasting the article earlier, was in a hurry.
    I'm glad they're "hesitant," especially when you want to trade a young player like Kearns for a 31-yr old pitcher with possible problems. You've just opened up the outfield for WMP and if you trade Austin, you move Dunn to the outfield and put Valentin at first???

Wise move, if you ask me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Red Sox acquire Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    One source? Jack McKeon?
    No. I would put money that the source is the source is the Reds former Traveling Secretary who has worked for the Marlins on and off for the last several years. He scouted for the Marlins up until last year I believe. His name escapes me at the moment but I could look it up.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

???

The Reds don't currently have a player named named Lugo on the roster.

And Cleveland's been dancing around with Boston for weeks now, which means it would have been DanO's lameduck regime working the deal. This sounds like pure BS to me.
    Sorry. I work for Tampa Bay now. I check Redszone periodically throughout the day if I can and I said "we". Sorry for the confusion.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I don't know where TC heard this one, but my initial take is that it's someone who was short on details and big on overstatement.
    Straight from Gerry Hunsicker. Pretty decent source. If you remember Gerry traded Lugo while in Houston after Lugo was charged with domestic violence.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Straight from Gerry Hunsicker. Pretty decent source. If you remember Gerry traded Lugo while in Houston after Lugo was charged with domestic violence.
    Again, short on details and long on coulda woulda shoulda. Sounds like Hunsicker was telling you a fish story.

Again, short on details and long on coulda woulda shoulda. Sounds like Hunsicker was telling you a fish story.
    Highly doubt that. I think Boston got a better deal. Move on to the next one.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Highly doubt that. I think Boston got a better deal. Move on to the next one.
    Hunsicker could insist he's the king of Siam too, doesn't mean you're holding anything other than an empty bag here.

Clearly the Red Sox weren't enamored with what the Rays offered. Man, that team specializes in not dealing from surplus to cover need.

Anyway, it's hardly a secret the Rays and Sox talked. That one's months old and general public knowledge. What you've got here is water cooler talk from a guy groping for an excuse as to why someone else beat him to the punch.

Though TC, I do have some DRays questions for you. Which three OFs do they want to keep and are they committed to keeping Upton at SS?
    Last edited by M2; 01-27-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?