Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl XL (Steelers- Seahawks): Lamest Super Bowl in Years

Super Bowl XL (Steelers- Seahawks): Lamest Super Bowl in Years

With apologies to Steel who will no doubt disagree with me in a big way, this year's Super Bowl is going to feature the weakest matchup since the Ravens-Giants, and if not for that game, would be the lamest matchup in the last 20 years. Neither team from the NFC is all that great and this year's Steelers is the one of the weakest teams to represent the AFC for quite some time, in my humble opinion. I'm not sure it's even worth watching.

I'm not suggesting they're not deserving, because they are by nature of their playoff wins.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-22-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lamest Super Bowl in Years

I want to agree with you MWM, I really do, but all of those blowouts I remember watching as a kid made for some pretty lame Super Bowls. It is also hard for me to say that the Steelers don't deserve to go after they beat the Bengals, Colts and Broncos.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

No one is forcing anyone to watch. Im sure there will be a movie of the week marathon on O or something....
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

It's not a matter of deserving. Any team that wins their way to the game deserves to be there. That doesn't mean they're great teams and in my opinion, this year's matchup is going to be a stinker.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Well, because its John Madden at the mic and its in a cold city, I will agree those parts stinks...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

The Super Bowl is the most overhyped event in the world. Seldom is the game even moderately exciting IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    With apologies to Steel who will no doubt disagree with me in a big way, this year's Super Bowl is going to feature the weakest matchup since the Ravens-Giants, and if not for that game, would be the lamest matchup in the last 20 years. Neither team from the NFC is all that great and this year's Steelers is the one of the weakest teams to represent the AFC for quite some time, in my humble opinion. I'm not sure it's even worth watching.

I'm not suggesting they're not deserving, because they are by nature of their playoff wins.
    I'm sure the NFL front office agrees with you, since many in Pittsburgh would contend that the refs and the media did everything possible to keep it from happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

While I'm sure most people on here would have loved to have seen the Bengals in the SB, they certainly wouldn't have been a good representative either. Maybe Indy was the best team out of that bunch for matchup purposes and the Dungy storyline but that might have been it out of the AFC. Face it, there is no great team out there. That's one reason why a team like PIT got to the SB winning out on the road in 3 places you really don't want to play as a visiting team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Admittedly I don't pay much attention to these things (and I totally agree with Pedro's comments), but I get the distinct impression the NFC is the sacrificial lamb these days. The Steelers, after years of near misses, just waded through the top three teams in the AFC on the road. It looks like this year they finally climb back on top of the heap.

I'm guessing the game would profile as more exciting if it could be played in the snow in front of maniac fans instead of an indoor/warm weather site in front of corporate executives. Then the Steelers' smashmouth charms would be more appealing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

All I can say to the Steelers: good bleepin' luck against Seattle. You're gonna need it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    All I can say to the Steelers: good bleepin' luck against Seattle. You're gonna need it.
    Didn't you say the same against the Bengals and then Indy.

I give the Steelers credit. They didn't just beat the top three seeds in the AFC - they annihilated them IMO. They have come prepared and were well coached. And people can knock Big Ben all they want, but this guy has had an excellent post-season and is the MVP so far in my book.

I'll still hang with Pitt to win the Super Bowl.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    You said that against the Bengals and then Indy.

I give the Steelers credit. They didn't just beat the top three seeds in the AFC - they annihilated them IMO. They have come prepared and were well coached. And people can knock Big Ben all they want, but this guy has had an excellent post-season and is the MVP so far in my book.

I'll still hang with Pitt to win the Super Bowl.
    Not against Indy I didn't. And from the word go I thought the Bengals/Steelers were an even money matchup.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't think the Bengals would have been a better representative. It's just hard for me to get excited about the Seahawks-Steelers. I just don't think either team is anything special. Of course, the AFC didn't have asingle team this year that was anything special.

I don't think the Bengals would have been a better representative. It's just hard for me to get excited about the Seahawks-Steelers. I just don't think either team is anything special. Of course, the AFC didn't have asingle team this year that was anything special.
    Indy wasn't? I'll admit that I thought they were over-rated, even when everyone was on the Indy/Peyton Manning bandwagon.

I just think there is so much parity in the NFL anymore. But I am thoroughly impressed with the Steeler's play in the second half of the season and in this post-season. The last couple of years expectations were high for the Steelers. This year they were the underdogs, and I think that helped them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't think Indy was over-rated. I just think they played a bad game and really paid the price for being rusty. I'm not sure what happened to Denver, but they didn't show up today either. You got to give credit to the Steelers for taking advantage, but I still think both of those teams beat Pittsburgh most of the time. Maybe I just don't appreciate their style of play, but I don't think they're one of the weaker teams in the Super Bowl we've seen in a while. Of course, I wouldn't admit it, but the same could be said had the Bengals made it.

Turn Off Ads?