Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien fired, Kullman interm GM announcement at 5pm

Re: O'Brien fired, Kullman interm GM announcement at 5pm

What great news. I was having a bad day at work and this has just made my day. Here is the article from Ken Rosenthal about the change and possible replacements.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5271952

Wasting no time initiating his overhaul of the Reds, new owner Robert Castellini has fired general manager Dan O'Brien, FOXSports.com has learned.

Castellini, who was approved as the team's owner by Major League Baseball only last Thursday, is expected to begin a search for a new GM immediately.
    Brad Kullman, the Reds' director of major-league operations, will serve as interim GM

O'Brien's replacement will report directly to Castellini instead of chief operating officer John Allen, who has been removed from baseball operations and now will head only the business side.

The possible replacements for O'Brien include:

Former Orioles GM Jim Beattie, the favored candidate of Red Sox president Larry Lucchino — a close friend of Castellini's — during the Sox's recent GM search.

Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky, who was the runner-up to O'Brien when the Reds last made a change in Oct. 2003.

Braves assistant GM Frank Wren, who was the Orioles' GM in 1999.

Kullman, a leading internal candidate along with the Reds' director of international scouting, Johnny Almaraz.
    It is an unusual time of year to fire a GM, but O'Brien's replacement will get the chance to evaluate the team from the start of spring training.

The Reds have had five straight losing seasons, including the past two under O'Brien. The team raised its payroll from $45 million to $62 million last season, but most of O'Brien's acquisitions — most notably free-agent left-hander Eric Milton — proved busts.

Rival general managers complained of the difficulty in dealing with O'Brien, who operated in methodical fashion and sought organizational consensus before making major moves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Someone clarify something. Brad Kullman is the one guy in the front office who pays attention to sabermetrics. Is this true?

Could this be a sign of the direction Castellini wants to go? (Paul DePodesta anyone?)
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    Someone clarify something. Brad Kullman is the one guy in the front office who pays attention to sabermetrics. Is this true?

Could this be a sign of the direction Castellini wants to go? (Paul DePodesta anyone?)
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=1699
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=1701

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I was scared they were going to keep dan o around for the season.. thank god someone woke up and started making good moves!

Dear Mr. Castellini,

Thank You, for your gift earlier today. I found the timing to be odd, however I'm not going to complain. If it wouldn't be to presumptious of me could I impose one more request on you? Please call Paul Depodesta at your earliest convenience to inquire whether or not he would like to become a hero in Cincinnati.

Again, thank you so much for the gift I nearly cried when I found out about it.

Sincerly,

A Reds fan

Thanks, woy. Those articles look good. This is VERY encouraging.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Thank you... thank you... thank you. Now I will not have to be embarassed any longer. LOL! Thank you Mr. Castellini. Cahones the size of watermelons... bring it on.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Thank you... thank you... thank you. Now I will not have to be embarassed any longer. LOL! Thank you Mr. Castellini. Cahones the size of watermelons... bring it on.
    Hey TC, you mentioned Kullman as a GM possibility a couple years ago. Also, I seem to recall a Baseball America write-up that mentioned Kullman as an up-an-coming executive. Based on your converstaions with baseball people, what does he bring to the table? Could he be the answer Cincy fans are looking for, or should Castellini go ahead with a Krivsty or DePodesta?

DePo! DePo!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    NOW, will you apply for a job in Cincinnati????

BTW - Nice deal for Baez. Wearing the DRay cap well.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    DePo! DePo!
    Cast says there is a need for Sabr and they have budgeted for it.

Re: WLW reporting that O'Brien has been fired

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    *ahem*

Where's MWM?
    This will be the mostenjoyable bet I ever have to pay off. You like Ponderosa?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Re: WLW reporting that O'Brien has been fired

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    This will be the mostenjoyable bet I ever have to pay off. You like Ponderosa?

I wouldn't take my dog to Ponderosa.

I believe you mentioned Ruth's Chris the other day when you were heckling me.

I wonder if they have any of this stuff there?

http://champagnegifts.com/id100052list283product.html
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Go Redlegs!!!!

very very very very good news.

Now if we can just find a GM that can play the "GM game" with the difficulty level set to "expert" (small market team) we will be set.
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Alex
    very very very very good news.

Now if we can just find a GM that can play the "GM game" with the difficulty level set to "expert" (small market team) we will be set.
    Out of the Park 2006 will be out soon enough. Surely $34.99 isn't out of the budget.

Turn Off Ads?