Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: O'Brien fired, Kullman interm GM announcement at 5pm

Re: O'Brien fired, Kullman interm GM announcement at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Not to rain on our parade but with a budget of only 60-65 million and no real farm system, does it matter who is the GM?
    I would argue that it matters more. You say that the real need of a small- or mid-market team is a good farm system. To develop that, you need a good GM.

I don't necessarily think that GMs deserve all of the credit or backlash that they get. A lot depends on circumstances and every team is different. But Dan O'Brien mashed this team to pieces from top to bottom and a new GM could make a huge difference for this team.

I don't expect immediate results. I don't even necessarily WANT them, as that would probably entail many expensive, short-term, eleventh-hour decisions. But a good GM will turn things around for this team over the next 3-5 years, and s/he can certainly do that with $65 million. That's not even penny change in major-league baseball.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I would argue that it matters more. You say that the real need of a small- or mid-market team is a good farm system. To develop that, you need a good GM.

I don't necessarily think that GMs deserve all of the credit or backlash that they get. A lot depends on circumstances and every team is different. But Dan O'Brien mashed this team to pieces from top to bottom and a new GM could make a huge difference for this team.

I don't expect immediate results. I don't even necessarily WANT them, as that would probably entail many expensive, short-term, eleventh-hour decisions. But a good GM will turn things around for this team over the next 3-5 years, and s/he can certainly do that with $65 million. That's not even penny change in major-league baseball.
    I agree. You pretty much said the same as I did. My point was that we should not expect "a winner" this next season. It's going to take time because we can't go out and sign big name pitchers. A good GM can make us a .500, but with a small market budget, it will take time to make us a contenda'!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I'm not sure anyone ever said he was a good CF. I think the point was that he's a better option than Junior.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yes.
    Word.

A good GM would not dump a large amount of a small payroll on junk.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    If I were male, I would have a lot of man love for RCast right now.
    I am and I soooo do! Now let's just hope that he does well choosing the/our GM.

But as of right now, I give the new head honcho a big .

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

MLB Radio has an archive of the first 5 minutes of yesterday's BobCast presser announcing DanO's firing at

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ra...io_archive.jsp

For posterity's sake, it's listed under January 23, 2006 under the show "Stayin' Hot with Seth and Bone."

If you didn't hear it live, he lists what he's looking for in the next GM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    Someone clarify something. Brad Kullman is the one guy in the front office who pays attention to sabermetrics. Is this true?

Could this be a sign of the direction Castellini wants to go? (Paul DePodesta anyone?)
    I'm not sure we've seen evidence of that. Kullman appeared to be open to many different ideas. Remember that article where he talked about analyzing brain waves in ballplayers?

FYI, Bowden was a big believer in computer projections of players. He was criticized for letting Brady Clark go because the computer modeling said that Clark was nothing special (and that was a reasonable assumption, IMO).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    2004 - Credit Jim Tracy
    2005 - Poor roster management, bad team chemisty - lose Jim Tracy

Many of you are in love with DePodesta but many of his problems (both within the team offices and in the press) were self-inflicted. At least some of the results ride on his own shoulders. He's young and perhaps he's had time to reflect on better ways to communicate his evaluations. He may have had time to learn and improve based upon his Dodger experience. That would not be a bad thing. It's called growing.

Rem
    That's a fair assessment in my opinion. Not every GM that is in the sabermatics club is automatically going to succeed. There's more to the job of GM than evaluating talent (be it traditional or by the numbers).

Depodesta may or may not do better in his next gig, but I think it's fair to say that he failed in LA. If there was bad relations with his boss or the "old school" people, he brought at least some of it on himself. At one point, everyone in the organization liked him enough to hire him, right?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2005 - Poor roster management, bad team chemisty - lose Jim Tracy
    http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_te...injury_factor/
    With the season beginning to come to a bitter end, the Los Angeles Dodgers find themselves at a complete loss. Not only are they completely out of a pennant race, but are now battling to stay out of last place. The Dodgers slipped very quickly these last few weeks with the San Diego Padres holding a 5 game lead over the Giants, while LA is now 9 games back. There won’t be any comeback stories to talk about this year at Chavez Ravine, only the dismal season to look back on and question. When discussing how this Dodger year transpired, the only logical explanation would be the injury bug. Many Dodgers lay open to the bug that hit their clubhouse this year. Here’s how it played out:

• When the Dodgers acquired RF J.D. Drew back in January of 2005, GM Paul DePodesta thought he had brought in an immediate threat to the lineup. Sure, Drew’s name did in fact look nice on paper, but there would also be the consequences of signing a player who had several stints with the disabled list in his past. Throughout his career, Drew was considered a potential standout only if could remain healthy. While with the Atlanta Braves in 2004, Drew did just that and had a great season. He batted .305 with 93 RBI and belted 31 homeruns. Now the right fielder was definitely on the rise of being able to produce more seasons like he did in ’04. His value now had surely risen with the impending off-season and him being a free agent… As of July 4th a broken wrist has ended his season.

• The former CY Young award winner Eric Gagne opened spring training with a lingering elbow injury. Many can say he was rushed back to quickly, but Gagne thought otherwise. He only lasted 14 games posting 8 saves and a 2.70 ERA… His season officially ended in June when the Dodgers announced that he would have to go under the knife to fix his right elbow. Now with Gagne being down for the remainder of the year, the bullpen was at a loss of who to name the closer.

• The Gold Glove SS Cesar Izturis would now be the latest victim to fall prey to the sidelines. Izturis began the year hitting like a machine and propelled the offense as the lead-off hitter. As the All Star break neared, a lingering back problem had taken a toll on the young Dodger. He would unfortunately have to sit back and watch the mid summer classic from the NL dugout. Finally, in early September Izturis would be transferred to the disabled list with now a severe elbow problem that requires Tommy John surgery. He’s not only finished with this year, but is now set to return some time next year around the All Star break.

• Catcher Paul Bako was signed in the off season to back up starting catcher Jason Phillips, but a knee injury would end his season as it required surgery. He had only lasted 13 games for the Dodgers, but would continue to be a helpful addition to the clubhouse. He took the young called up catcher Dioner Navarro under his wing to teach him some techniques about the position.

• RP Kelly Wunsch pitched only in 45 games for the Dodgers before tearing a ligament in his right ankle. This injury would affect the team’s bullpen needs to face opposing left handed batters. Wilson Alvarez wasn’t pitching like he once did last year for the Dodgers which didn’t make him a reliable RP this year. Wunsch is expected to be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

• CF Milton Bradley was shut down in late August due to a partially torn left patella tendon. His season unfortunately did not end as he planned. The internal problems within the clubhouse and his recent domestic issues just may have ended his tenure in Los Angeles. Milton Bradley’s days in a Dodger uniform may be numbered.

The injuries have indeed been a serious repercussion on why the Dodgers will not participate in postseason play. Manager Jim Tracy had to do something he had never done since being with the Dodgers. He basically said that they need to play out the remainder of the season with respect for the integrity of the game. They may be out of a divisional race, but focusing on the games ahead is just as important. Staying positive is an essential element that needs to be taken seriously by them if they want to compete for years to come. This season did not go as they had hoped for, but it did bring some bright talent to the table.

When players began to go down, we began to see names we were unfamiliar with. Oscar Robles contributed his quick lead off approach when Izturis went down. Jason Repko filled in smoothly in the outfield playing great defense in place of Drew and Bradley. Dioner Navarro is a young stud that should be ready for a catching role next year possibly as a starter. Navarro has been well received by the pitching staff since being called up from the minors. Willy Aybar is well deserving of a roster spot for next years club. He has been filling in at 3B and 2B and is batting .397 with a homerun. Yes this season has been one in which all Dodger fans would like to forgot, but the future looks great with these up and coming prospects.

IIRC, Ray Knight, first at bench coach and then as manager, used extensive statistical research via computer from the dugout to evaluate situations and matchups.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    IIRC, Ray Knight, first at bench coach and then as manager, used extensive statistical research via computer from the dugout to evaluate situations and matchups.
    He was more of teh fielding chart wizard.

But Davey Johnson played for Earl Weaver and he was what some would scream and moan about being "Too sabr"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    There's a difference between understanding stats and using them. I just got done with Three Nights in August and couldn't stand the constant "Well, he's 2 for 10 against him in his career, better bring in a pinch hitter who's for 3-9..." type comments that LaRussa continually made (or were attributed to him).

It seems that many people in baseball like to equate looking at numbers with real statistical anlaysis and research. I have no idea how Ray Knight used them, but I have an inkling he was more in the LaRussa mold than not.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    But Davey Johnson played for Earl Weaver and he was what some would scream and moan about being "Too sabr"
    Yup. I remember when Davey was with the Mets he was way ahead of his time using stats and matchups to dictate gameplans.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He was more of teh fielding chart wizard.

Before the term "sabermetric" was ever known in baseball circles, the Orioles clubhouse used the phrase "book him" for Earl's strategic moves. Mainly matchups, Earl was ahead of his time in platooning and knowing the numbers.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mainly matchups, Earl was ahead of his time in platooning and knowing the numbers.
    Casey Stengel platooned religiously, picked it up whilst playing for the Dodgers, apparently Casey was crap against LH's and often ended up watching the game when they were on the mound.

Turn Off Ads?