Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

What are evryones thoughts? The new owner hasn't taken much time to establish himself, and it seemed as if we were close to trading Jr. before, so is he next to be gone?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

Griffey cannot be traded without his explicit permission.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think Griffey & Castellini is going to be like Larkin & Lindner.

IMO.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Move him to the corner and then they can worry about ever moving him to another team.

I don't think Jr isn't going anywhere, especially if the Reds hire Piniella. Lou and Griff are pretty friendly, if Lou is a part of this franchise Griffey will retire a Red IMO.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I suspect there'll be a lot of changes between now and this time next year - on and off the field...but not until a new GM is named/hired.

Can't imagine Jr. going anywhere though, any time soon, which is fine with me - one of the few reasons people still go to games down here.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Move him to the corner and then they can worry about ever moving him to another team.
    What he said. Although I am more in the camp of move him to a corner and nothing else. The Reds offense if infinitely better with Junior in there as he protects the whole lineup.

But his defense in center needs to be addessed pronto. Corner outfield is the way to go.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It wasn't Dan O'Brien's doing that brought Griffey to town. I don't see a linkage between the two.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It wasn't Dan O'Brien's doing that brought Griffey to town. I don't see a linkage between the two.
    Right. The question seems like something of a nonsequitur. But I'd sure like to have Griffey's salary space.

I am guessing the link is more in the "everything is subject to re-evaluation with new management" vein.

And, unless they are blown away with an offer early, they should, once again, wait. Hopefully Jr. has good early health again, rewards us all with a hot first four months, and pumps his trade value back up.

As before on threads like this, I love Jr., but want to get something for him while getting payroll relief, if at all possible.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next. I think there would be more takers on the board for that move than unloading Griffey, particularly if the deal for Griffey includes paying a big chunk of his salary.

And before you ask, I did notice who emceed the presser.

I heard rumors that Griffey was going once Cast took over (from an unreliable source, so really little validity). I would like him to stay if he moves to the corner. Hopefully who ever comes in will realize that he would be a lot less effective (for the other team) in a COF spot.

Folks, everyone is up for grabs, everyone on the roster. The team lost 89 games. A new GM may conclude that Griffey, or Kearns, or Larue, or Pena, or even Dunn or Lopez should be moved.

This is not a disaster. None of these players is Babe Ruth (and even he got traded a few times). The key is how the team is reconstructed.

One year from now this roster will probably have been dramatically overhauled. I, for one, can't wait.

If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next. I think there would be more takers on the board for that move than unloading Griffey, particularly if the deal for Griffey includes paying a big chunk of his salary.

And before you ask, I did notice who emceed the presser.
    I also noticed that Nuxhall was invited to do more games next year. I have to admit I LOVE that move, even if it isn't very specific. Just the thought of hearing Nuxy's voice on the radio makes me smile. So Cast has done at least TWO things I wholeheartedly approve of so far!

If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next.
    Who can we get for him?

Steve and Joe is pretty nice, with Steve doing all the PBP and Joe chiming in.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?