Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I heard rumors that Griffey was going once Cast took over (from an unreliable source, so really little validity). I would like him to stay if he moves to the corner. Hopefully who ever comes in will realize that he would be a lot less effective (for the other team) in a COF spot.
    Only with Junior's permission.

The question to ask is who could play center field in this organization that could produce runs like Junior. No one. Who could field well enough to justify losing that run production? No one. Who could fill the stands better than Junior? No one.

Let's face it. No one is going to take on that monster contract unless the Reds give up money to make this 35-36 year old attractive to another club. If we're going to spend 9-10 million anyway, let's keep him and let him retire in Cincinnati. Besides, if Castellini is the vintage Reds fan he claims to be, he is a Ken Sr. fan. It's tough to give away one of the icons of the franchise's son.

My guess is that nothing much will happen until mid-summer on the trade front. Then, I think you'll see lots of fodder that the past administration brought in to pitch going away in favor of kids. And next off-season the moves will be made and you'll need a whole new scorecard.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here is my suggestion:

Beat Boston to the punch and offer Willy Mo Pena to Cleveland for OF Coco Crisp. Shift Griffey to LF with Crisp in center.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Here is my suggestion:

Beat Boston to the punch and offer Willy Mo Pena to Cleveland for OF Coco Crisp. Shift Griffey to LF with Crisp in center.
    That would be alright, but I'm not convinced that Crisp is the real deal. His minor league statistics are underwhelming and Willy Mo has a bigger upside. If you trade WMP for anyone, it should be pitching.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Indians would probably not do that deal.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Right. The question seems like something of a nonsequitur. But I'd sure like to have Griffey's salary space.

Which in today's market won't even get you a Morris and a couple of Aurilia's.

We need more Griffey types not less,GO CINCY!!!!

Forget Crisp - get Joey Gathright. He'll come cheaper, give us more speed and play great defense.

The Reds need pitching, but they need defense almost as much (a good defense will make a bad pitching staff more tolerable)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?