Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Post Dan O Move

Re: First Post Dan O Move

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    His charge, according to Castellini, will be to evaluate strictly the pitching side of the Reds' system, "from soup to nuts," and make recommendations there.
    That shouldn't take much time to evaluate the "system". How many bona fide arms are there in the entire system from Rookie ball to the ML roster? A half dozen?

Beattie should have that job done by lunch on his first day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Great job in bringing in Beattie and THEN interviewing the prerequisite candidates according to MLB rules. Beattie will have a leg up and eventually be the GM. Neat little trick that could actually yield results.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Great job in bringing in Beattie and THEN interviewing the prerequisite candidates according to MLB rules. Beattie will have a leg up and eventually be the GM. Neat little trick that could actually yield results.
    From what I've seen of his resume I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    You gotta be kidding me. If Cast hires Beattie, it will be like groundhog day all over again and I won't have a new owner to still have that glimmer of hope. Geez.

Now is the time to evaluate next years Free Agents.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

What's Beattie's connection to Castellini exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    What's Beattie's connection to Castellini exactly?
    Its an Oriole Thing.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Man Pills

I'm thinking that bringing in Beattie doesn't necessarily bode well for him ascending to the GMship. In fact, maybe the opposite. But we're still waiting for a huge shoe to drop.

I think Castellini is a man of action and wants someone in the GM spot that can make things happen. DanO seemed to be to slow to do that and looking at Beattie's record I am not sure if he is that type of GM all though the Expos had very good minor league system for years under him, they just could afford to keep them once they hit arb. years. Jimbo could make things happen but he was to much in to retreads and 5 tool players that never lived up to their billings. Kullman was showed some things when he helped replace Jimbo but it is such a small sample size. It sounds like Kullman has 3 weeks to show what he's got again.
    Last edited by Redmachine2003; 01-23-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    You gotta be kidding me. If Cast hires Beattie, it will be like groundhog day all over again and I won't have a new owner to still have that glimmer of hope. Geez.

All beattie has ever had to work with is also rans. orioles had no shot andyet have developed some good young kids, The expos your kidding right? The man can not truly be disregarded just by the fact he never really has had a team that had the reds power all the Reds need now is like 4 pitchers of capable ability and in time that is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    From what I've seen of his resume I'm not impressed.
    Nor am I, but at this point I'm ready to see what anyone else can do.
    Go Gators!

Looking at the record - it isn't as bad as it seems.

early 90's with the Mariners - they got good in the middle of the decade. 95 AL runner-ups. I'll have to do some reading if there were some "homegrown" talent on that ball club.

I'd probably wipe out the Montreal years. He probably learned how to clip coupons. Or trade for good minor leaguers and some cash. Probably learned to sell players to the highest bidder.

In Baltimore, he learned to waste money, manage a front office directed by a certified loony of an owner who is baseball's version of Al Davis, plus work side by side with an Oriole Legend (in his own mind).

I'm with Krono. There are worse people to hire. And one is Dan O'Brien.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

.447 winning percentage at Montreal, the Reds during that span was .494.

4 of those years were under 1 million, some are freaking horrible 773,277, 642,745.

That's a team with NO money, the Reds were rich in comparison and yet they were still losers.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    .447 winning percentage at Montreal, the Reds during that span was .494.

4 of those years were under 1 million, some are freaking horrible 773,277, 642,745.

That's a team with NO money, the Reds were rich in comparison and yet they were still losers.
    I'll admit it's hard to hold anything against him re: the Expos because of the payroll issue. He had the cash with the O's though, but Angelos is crazy, so it's hard to say.

Have you done any research on his drafts?

My sense on Bob at this point is that he isn't going to make hiring decisions based upon who he already knows from his previous experience in baseball. Like he said on Friday, he wants to get the right person in the right position - and the implicit other half of that statement (IMO) is that it doesn't matter where that person comes from or how you knew them before. You don't enjoy success in corporate America by hiring and re-hiring your friends. If that's how Bob operated, he would have fired Jerry Narron and John Allen today as well. For that matter, I'm not sure what other connections he would have with Lou Piniella, but there's no secret Bob wants Lou on his staff. Did Bob hold stake in the Reds during Lou's time...? In either case, my 2 cents say that Sweet Lou will be managing Cincy again in 2007.

As for the GM position, my vote goes to Krivsky. From what I've heard of him, I think he might have more media savvy than DePodesta; DePo's lack of communication and people skills is supposedly what led to his firing in LA. All indications are that Bob will want the GM to be more of a public face.
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.
    -A. Barlett Giamatti

Turn Off Ads?