Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Post Dan O Move

Re: First Post Dan O Move

While it may give Beattie a leg up on the GM process, I don't see him getting that nod. I could see him move into the Player Dev role, however...especially since he's been tasked with evaluating the pitching side of the organization. When you take over a club, you only get so many rounds in that pistol. You want to waste one of those feel-good days on announcing you've hired the special assistant? Not if said special assistant is fresh off a less-than-inspired tenure with the O's.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    While it may give Beattie a leg up on the GM process, I don't see him getting that nod. I could see him move into the Player Dev role, however...especially since he's been tasked with evaluating the pitching side of the organization. When you take over a club, you only get so many rounds in that pistol. You want to waste one of those feel-good days on announcing you've hired the special assistant? Not if said special assistant is fresh off a less-than-inspired tenure with the O's.
    My take too. It looks like it's going to be someone slightly more in demand.

The question is would someone like DePodesta get an interview here, and would he be willing to work here? Based on some accounts the guy had a little bit of an arrogance problem while interviewing for jobs before he ended up with LA. He flat out refused to interview with some clubs according to some. Perhaps his little LA venture proved to be humbling.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The question is would someone like DePodesta get an interview here, and would he be willing to work here? Based on some accounts the guy had a little bit of an arrogance problem while interviewing for jobs before he ended up with LA. He flat out refused to interview with some clubs according to some. Perhaps his little LA venture proved to be humbling.
    I work with a guy who goes back a way with DePo. I got a chance to speak with him last week and asked jokingly, "Hey, any chance he would have any interest in the Reds' job?" He said he didn't think so, but that you never know. And when I brought up the rumors of arrogance/communications in LA, my co-worker, who had a pretty good look at it, said he never could understand where that stuff came from. Said while behind doors it could have very well been true, if so it would have been completely against character. Hinted that the highly dysfunctional Dodger front office (and the distrust that spurs) had more to do with the lack of communication.

I work with a guy who goes back a way with DePo. I got a chance to speak with him last week and asked jokingly, "Hey, any chance he would have any interest in the Reds' job?" He said he didn't think so, but that you never know. And when I brought up the rumors of arrogance/communications in LA, my co-worker, who had a pretty good look at it, said he never could understand where that stuff came from. Said while behind doors it could have very well been true, if so it would have been completely against character. Hinted that the highly dysfunctional Dodger front office (and the distrust that spurs) had more to do with the lack of communication.
    Doesn't surprise me based on his personality. But let's just call it what it is. A lot of people out there are looking for any possible angle to discredit the guy because of what he's perceived to represent. I feel bad for the guy. I have a hard time believing he's going to get a real fair shake anywhere he might go unless he somehow takes over a team right on the cusp on winning big and are able to do it. He's going to be under more of a microscope than any other newly hired GM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Beattie is a great guy (I've talked to him on the phone and know several who have worked for him - my first impression take was the same as their take after working under him for years).

He has a pretty unique combination of practical baseball experience (former major league pitcher) and business acumen (Ivy League education, MBA, 2-time former GM).

Nevertheless, I'd be VERY disappointed if he were named our next GM. I don't blame him for the Oriole thing, but he's way too much of an inside-the-box thinker to be an asset under the Reds situation.

Chris Antonetti (who if I'm not mistaken was given his first baseball job by the Beattie regime) intrigues me a lot. He turned down the Red Sox interview, but if Castellini can can convince him that there isn't a "Lucchino" figure in Cincy (read: we'll lock John Allen in a broom closet), I bet he'd at least show up for the interview.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

i wonder if they'll set up a system whereby no one person makes the decision, but a well informed committee gives input and they literally vote on what's gonna happen ala the red sox (i'm not clear how they make their final decisions, but it's clear a lot of people have input). everyone gives their input -and the gm makes the final call. to make that kind of thing work -you have to have an organizational philosophy that everyone agrees with. i guess we'll see.

i vote for kullman.

Kim Ng intrigues me and not just because she is a woman. She is really competent in baseball knowledge.

But if you're the Reds, do you want another rookie GM or one that has been a previous GM?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Kim Ng intrigues me and not just because she is a woman. She is really competent in baseball knowledge.
    I'm afraid the Reds' situation is going to require a bit more than really competent.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I really don't expect the new GM to be anyone that is presently in this organization. Our present interim GM is just that because there are bigger fish to fry coming in. No matter how impressed folks were with the Guillen for Harang trade or the Boone for Claussen move, the truth is that Kullman was ordered to conduct a fire sale and he was giving up proven players for what the other teams thought was damaged goods or marginal players. Harang and Claussen had good 2005 seasons, and they hope they continue, but they are far from proven pitchers.

My guess is that Castelinni will go with someone with more experience and probably someone he knows from his time as a Cardinal owner. Rookies need not apply.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty

But if you're the Reds, do you want another rookie GM or one that has been a previous GM?
    A rookie coach worked well for the Bengals.

Its all about track record.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

i like Beattie in his advisory role. to me, his performance as a GM though leaves a lot to be desired.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    i like Beattie in his advisory role. to me, his performance as a GM though leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hiring him would just keep the distressing "retread" aspect the Reds always seem to go with.
    Go Gators!

I agree with chili here -- I wouldn't mind Beattie as an advisor/mentor to a younger GM like Antonetti -- a kid with great training, brains and something to prove. I'm also intrigued by Dave Wilder of the White Sox.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Beattie strikes me as being what people hoped DanO would be - astute, forthright, ready to do some business.

He's had some real awful gigs in the past (Expos and Orioles) and he strikes me as a guy who's probably got more on the ball than he's been able to show. I'm not saying he'd be a Joe Torre GM equivalent, but Beattie might surprise a lot of people if he ever gets a real team to run.

Anyway, I like that Castellini has brought an advisor to focus squarely on the pitching. Hopefully Beattie doesn't sugarcoat it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?