Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Post Dan O Move

Re: First Post Dan O Move

It was reported that Beattie was Lucchino's choice to replace Epstein in Boston, but Henry overruled Lucchino. Apparently Lucchino and Castellini are friends, and thus it wouldn't be surprising if Beattie landed the GM gig here, per advice from Lucchino to Castellini.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

So far it seems we are focusing only on one GM. I wouldn't mind seeing Castellini setting up a two GM system with possibly Beattie and Kullman, with Beattie heading mainly organizational issues (farm, etc) and Kullman doing the major league stuff. I love Kullman's ideas, but just am not sure he could make the organizational changes needed. As far as I know he has only been with the Reds and may lack contacts needed. (But that's not to say that he couldn't make good hires that in turn bring in the people needed)

This is the model it seems the Red Sox are using(I think). I still haven't heard where Theo fits into that picture yet. The drawback of this system, I guess, would be that Castellini would probably need to find someone who could go between himself and the co-gms. But the upside is that it gives a leadership with both experience and good, fresh ideas. Just MO, though.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 01-24-2006 at 09:59 AM.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    So far it seems we are focusing only on one GM. I wouldn't mind seeing Castellini setting up a two GM system with possibly Beattie and Kullman, with Beattie heading mainly organizational issues (farm, etc) and Kullman doing the major league stuff. I love Kullman's ideas, but just am not sure he could make the organizational changes needed. As far as I know he has only been with the Reds and may lack contacts needed. (But that's not to say that he couldn't make good hires that in turn bring in the people needed)

This is the model it seems the Red Sox are using(I think). I still haven't heard where Theo fits into that picture yet. The drawback of this system, I guess, would be that Castellini would probably need to find someone who could go between himself and the co-gms. But the upside is that it gives a leadership with both experience and good, fresh ideas. Just MO, though.
    I don't expect Bob to be this kind of owner. He has said that any other personnel moves would be by the new GM after he's installed. I see Castellini as the type owner who will hire a GM and hold him fully accountable for the baseball operations. He will not micro-manage.

A 2 GM system sounds like a recipe for trouble, back stabbing galore.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in BG
    I don't expect Bob to be this kind of owner. He has said that any other personnel moves would be by the new GM after he's installed. I see Castellini as the type owner who will hire a GM and hold him fully accountable for the baseball operations. He will not micro-manage.
    I agree that I don't see Castellini being that type of owner, and the co-gm approach isn't something that is likely to happen. I just hope that if he does hire Kullman, which is a good thing, that he helps surround him with good leaders that will carry out his mandate. I just don't want to see the guy get DePo'd. The media, in particular Fuhrman and Jones, will probably be after him from the get go just from the fact that he isn't a "baseball" guy. As long as the organization knows that he has a mandate from the owner, then there probably isn't a problem.

Naehring handles the farm, so he'd have to be let go before Beattie could slide into that role.
    Makes all the routine posts.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

I think there is no chance of a split duty GM system. Bob will hire one person to be accountable. He comes from a successful business. In big business you hire someone and let him do his job. He will either be successful or he will fail and that one person will be accountable.

I'd prefer an experienced talent evaluator as GM with a sabr-friendly guy like Kullman at his side, like Beane with DePo in Oakland.

You gotta have both.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    A 2 GM system sounds like a recipe for trouble, back stabbing galore.
    Depends on who is hired. Yea, that is definitely a possibility. But if the other GM knows from the get go that part of his job is to help a younger guy like Kullman, and that they are working together, then it is a good thing. Also, sometimes competition is good in a workplace enviroment, as long as the goal remains the same, to win. Its just a concept. Not everyone will like it, and it probably won't matter, because as was pointed out, Castellini doesn't seem as if he would be the type of owner that would have two guys there.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 01-24-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'd prefer an experienced talent evaluator as GM with a sabr-friendly guy like Kullman at his side, like Beane with DePo in Oakland.

You gotta have both.
    Beane also had Sandy Alderson from above giving support. When you are going to change the organization as Castellini has mentioned, that can't be underestimated.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 01-24-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Wagner and Howsam were a 2 GM system.

Wagner was the business side of the equation most of the time, kinda like if John Allen had a 20 year background in the minor leagues (including Executive of the year in the 50's)

That worked until Howsam gave it all to Wagner.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have a former player who has been around the business side of the front office for at least ten years, seeing how deals get done and with a complete understanding of the inner workings of a major league front office.

I'd want him to be completely comfortable with scouting methods, and with no aversion at all to sabermetrics. And I'd want a right hand man who was a total expert in sabermetric analysis.

I'd want the GM to have a complete understanding of both and a willingness to use both scouting and sabermetric methods in all his decision making.

Who that is, I don't know.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I'd want the GM to have a complete understanding of both and a willingness to use both scouting and sabermetric methods in all his decision making.
    Me too. I just don't think many of those guys exist.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Wagner and Howsam were a 2 GM system.

Wagner was the business side of the equation most of the time, kinda like if John Allen had a 20 year background in the minor leagues (including Executive of the year in the 50's)

That worked until Howsam gave it all to Wagner.
    But, also - Sheldon Bender had some say in major league matters in the early part. Wagner was the "fall-guy" - tough as nails negotiator.

To his demise, Wagner's ego became the problem, not the solution.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have a former player who has been around the business side of the front office for at least ten years, seeing how deals get done and with a complete understanding of the inner workings of a major league front office.

I'd want him to be completely comfortable with scouting methods, and with no aversion at all to sabermetrics. And I'd want a right hand man who was a total expert in sabermetric analysis.

Who that is, I don't know.

Reading this, one name screams out to me.

Joe Morgan.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?