Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabo: (Homer) Bailey could pitch for Reds now

Sabo: (Homer) Bailey could pitch for Reds now

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...429/1071/SPT04

The Reds can't afford any more of the haplessness of the past 20 years when it comes to finding and developing starting pitchers.

They have to decide, and decide quickly, whether the ways of Reds general manager Dan O'Brien are going to work.

O'Brien's decision to throw money Eric Milton's way last year looks bad in light of what the numbers analysts were prophesying at the time: a fly-ball pitcher in a bandbox ballpark is a bad combination. O'Brien defied the science of those prophecies, took a flyer on Milton and got knocked out of the park.

On the other hand, hot-shot pitching prospect Homer Bailey - projected as a bona fide No. 1 future starter by everybody who has seen him - has remained healthy. That's no small thing for a minor-league system that has done wonders for orthopedic surgeons specializing in shoulder and elbow operations.

"Bailey could pitch here (Great American) right now," says former Reds star Chris Sabo, now working in the Reds' minor leagues.

"He is imperial," says Sabo, inflating his chest to show what he means. "Isn't that what you want? Twenty-five guys like that? Nine of them on the field and the other 16 believing they should be?"

The emphasis, of course, is on the "could." As in "could" be pitching here right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sabo: (Homer) Bailey could pitch for Reds now

If Bailey comes into spring training and blows major league hitters away, I have no problem with him going north with the big club. I think you have to take your best 25 guys, no matter who they may be. The Braves did a pretty good job developing young pitchers at the major league level in the late 80s/early 90s. Sure, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Millwood, Smith...they all took their knocks, but never lost their confidence.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I saw this article and declined to post it because I thought the opinion was so without merit. Just because Homer "looks imperial" doesn't mean ML hitters are going to be fooled by his pitches. His ml numbers were good, not great. That tells me he needs to prove himself, rather than be rushed to the majors.

Holy crap.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Christopher Gruler has a breaking ball and changeup better than Tom Seaver, says Johnny Bench.

The rate that this field management deals with rookies, Homer Bailey's gonna be 34 years old before he even makes the big club.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    The rate that this field management deals with rookies, Homer Bailey's gonna be 34 years old before he even makes the big club.
    I imagine when your AA rotation has more stitches in their arms than the baseballs they throw -- that tends to make you a little gunshy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Frickin Sabo. Look, I like that he evaluates Homer as a guy with confidence and presence. But Homer hasn't been allowed to throw more than 75 pitches in a professional game, facing low A hitters. Put him in GABP = letting your teenager do whatever he/she wants. Let's be responsible here -- he ain't ready.

I'm concerned that Castellini talks about being impatient with the minor leagues. If that translates into him wanting the best prospects rushed, he'll strip mine down to zero prospects in a year and a half. Patience IS required, Bob.

Good thing he's not a pitching coach in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Lets rush em!

What's the worst that could happen?
    Go Gators!

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Christopher Gruler has a breaking ball and changeup better than Tom Seaver, says Johnny Bench.
    Isn't that like saying Bailey has a better fastball than Tim Wakefield?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lets rush em!

What's the worst that could happen?
    I hope it can't get any worse than what we've seen the last ten years.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No way is Bailey ready for the majors. He walks way to many people, wouldnt make it past 5 innings and for the love of God, the boy can not get himself out of jams. He has 1 plus pitch right now, and its his fastball. He has a few other average pitches, but average pitches in the big leagues get taken 400 feet. The kid will be 19 at the start of the season, no way he is ready.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Can someone please tell Chris Sabo the story of David Clyde?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Can someone please tell Chris Sabo the story of David Clyde?
    Dan O'Brien should be able to.

His dad was the Texas GM who called up Clyde.

Turn Off Ads?