Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Threat assessment

Threat assessment

When looking at the Reds, like playing chess, you would be wise to first consider what threatens your survival.

First short term, then long term. Threat assessment.

When Castellini took over the reins just three scant days ago, I have to believe he's already done his assessment.

Today, he knocked off the main threat to our short term prospects. And his second move was to bring in an expert to analyze the bane of our existance, the pitching.

So, what does RedsZone see as the next items on the list to assess and rectify, with extreme prejudice?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Threat assessment

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Today, he knocked off the main threat to our short term prospects. And his second move was to bring in an expert to analyze the bane of our existance, the pitching.
    What was the second move? I must have missed it in all the DanO hoopla.

They need to fix the defense, particularly center field.

Somehow, some way they've got to move Pena or Kearns (preferably Pena) for a kid that can cover some ground out there. They won't be preventing many runs from the mound this season, so anything they can do to help the exasperatingly bad defense will be welcomed by me.

They also have to do something with that mess of infielders. They need to be sure to play the good ones, use the fast guy as a pinch runner, use the slow guy as a pinch hitter. If they gripe too much, show 'em the door because it won't kill them to eat those contracts. If I were Kullman, I'd be looking for a reason to bag those two DanO deadweights.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

For the long term, Castellini has to restore the Reds to a powerful regional franchise. He has to make inroads in the nether regions that overlap with the Cards, Cubs/White Sox, Tigers, Indians, Pirates and Braves. Beyond a better product on the field, better marketing, more visibility (TV/Radio) and creating the perception that the Reds really do want to win will go a long way towards insuring long range viability.

Rem

Did I hear right that Mario Soto is back with the organization?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    What was the second move? I must have missed it in all the DanO hoopla.

He hired Beattie to assess the pitching from top to bottom throughout the organization.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Did I hear right that Mario Soto is back with the organization?
    Yes, but he's a No. 4 or 5 starter at the most, even on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    They need to fix the defense, particularly center field.

Somehow, some way they've got to move Pena or Kearns (preferably Pena) for a kid that can cover some ground out there. They won't be preventing many runs from the mound this season, so anything they can do to help the exasperatingly bad defense will be welcomed by me.

They also have to do something with that mess of infielders. They need to be sure to play the good ones, use the fast guy as a pinch runner, use the slow guy as a pinch hitter. If they gripe too much, show 'em the door because it won't kill them to eat those contracts. If I were Kullman, I'd be looking for a reason to bag those two DanO deadweights.
    Pena is above average defensively in CF.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Pena is above average defensively in CF.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    So, what does RedsZone see as the next items on the list to assess and rectify, with extreme prejudice?
    In my mind, the single most important item to be addressed is the hiring of an intelligent General Manager who is comfortable speaking truth to power.

Castellini hired Beattie to (allegedly) assess the pitching situation from top to bottom. Called him an "advisor". To me, that indicates that Castellini is comfortable having those around him who have the ability to speak truth to power. You don't hire an "advisor" if you're not comfortable with that.

That being said, we can only hope that Castellini has the ability to figure out that Beattie hasn't shown any real aptitude during his tenure as a GM. And yes, it concerns me that Beattie is tasked with assessing the pitching situation after he's been co-GM on an Orioles team that has finished in the MLB bottom ten the last two seasons.

Beyond the "Pitch to Contact" garbage, the "Take one Strike" directive (which has merit if implemented properly), team defense at the MLB level, and the starting rotation, Bob Castellini must figure out what he doesn't know how to fix and quickly find the person who'll be best suited to provide creative bold solutions. If that one thing does not happen, the rest are almost entirely moot.

In short, the biggest threat to that end is Bob Castellini's ability to, through introspection, understand the limitations of his own knowledge base coupled with his ability to trust those who can provide solutions Castellini himself may not entirely understand. If the reverse happens and Castellini surrounds himself only with what is familiar while attempting to micro-manage folks who are set on telling him what they know he wants to hear?

Well...let's just say that it takes longer to get rid of an Owner than it does a General Manager.

After listening to Castellini, I'm entirely open to the possibility that he'll be self-aware enough to choose the right course. If he does, he'll be a truly great leader. But then, truly great leaders are rare. So folks will have to excuse me if for being only cautiously optimistic.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

M2 and I have been screaming that for awhile. Rather than laughing you might want to argue some facts. None of which you will find from his performance at the end of the 03 and 04 season.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    M2 and I have been screaming that for awhile. Rather than laughing you might want to argue some facts. None of which you will find from his performance at the end of the 03 and 04 season.
    He does have more range than Griffey, he's a physical freak of nature no doubt, and he is more comfortable in CF than any other position....But I'd be willing to lose that, and his offensive potential in order to get a true to life flycatcher of a center fielder. I wouldn't care if the kid couldn't hit all that much right away.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    He does have more range than Griffey, he's a physical freak of nature no doubt, and he is more comfortable in CF than any other position....But I'd be willing to lose that, and his offensive potential in order to get a true to life flycatcher of a center fielder. I wouldn't care if the kid couldn't hit all that much right away.
    Name one we could get with what we've got to give.

I can't.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Name one we could get with what we've got to give.

I can't.
    I'd put something together and try to get:
    http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp...ayer_id=434158
    http://thebaseballcube.com/players/G...anderson.shtml
    career minors line:
    BA .300
    OBP .383
    SLG .495
    OPS .878

Reasonable performance in the majors last year.

I think its a bit misleading to call Pena above average in center field. It might be argued that he's the best of the candidates on the roster as a day to day CFer, but I've not seen anything to convince me he'll be appreciably better than he was in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?