Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds official RedsZone member

Re: Reds oficial RedsZone member

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    I totally agree. How would this change by gaining an association with the Reds, though?
    I'd fear the Reds getting upset at any "negative" content and then cutting the association unless the content was changed
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'd fear the Reds getting upset at any "negative" content and then cutting the association unless the content was changed
    In no way do I think the interaction would be a blow by blow description of what is happening in the FO...I think this ownership has thicker skin than to withdraw simply because a few hardcore fans are negative about something.

I was thinking about the idea that Pete Rose would ever work in baseball again...most of the hardcore fans would reject the idea but the average fan would LOVE to see Pete again....I'd say at the end of the day there are more average fans than hardcore fans so perhaps we have a higher interest in our thoughts than what the FO does or should.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I think it would be great to have someone from the Reds stop by to kick around the Reds and baseball. That person would need to understand that folks would be asking some challenging questions. I don't think anyone would be making "You suck" comments, but if a Reds official came by and said that Eric Milton will have a big year you could expect a spirited exchange on why that's as likely as him giving live birth to a coelacanth.

Just some observations, but what I've found is that media members who come on and provide good information are welcomed with open arms in these parts. Marc is a perfect example (and there have been others). When a media member comes in making party-line assertions and then insisting he/she knows better than you and I because he/she gets to hang out with jocks, well that doesn't go over so well (and, iirc, that was specifically the wall that Lance rammed himself into).

Insider info follows a different vein. Good insider info, the kind that's long on specifics, is always welcome. Big Donkey, hands down and going away, is the best we've ever had in this respect. I don't know where he gets his stuff from, but he's up front about what's in the talking stages and what's getting serious attention. He's almost always got the news before it hits the wires. We're lucky to have him. I should note that as great a resource as he is, he never plugs himself.

The kind of insider info that's gotten criticism in the past tends to incorporate multiple sins. It's too vague. It's well after the fact. It's more about whose tongue was wagging than what that tongue was saying. Sometimes I get the distinct impression that folks claiming insider connections don't really know that much and are trying to convince themselves (and the rest of us as an extension) that they do. At least that's my take. Information quality counts. That's not a knock on any specific poster (we've had a broad swath of people over the years with Reds connections), just noting that detail and making sure the information is in its proper context seems to get much better reception.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Yeah, I agree with the above. Some message boards tightly moderate things like chats with team personnel by having members submit questions beforehand and conducting the interview via phone later and posting the results. It does not appear to dilute the quality of the information.

And Krono, I would hope that any association Redszone had with the Reds (in my dream scenario) would be one in which they would be professional enough to understand some of the riff raff that a message board attracts and let it roll off their backs.

Let me know if anyone is successful in contacting the FO and I'll do my best to facilitate any sort of interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    Let me know if anyone is successful in contacting the FO and I'll do my best to facilitate any sort of interaction.
    To GIK,

check your private messages

To everyone else,

The front office is very familar with Redszone, and it should just be a matter of time. Let the excitement build.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Thats good to hear (despite being a bit cryptic ), sava. I hope it works out to be advantageous for everyone.

Thanks for the PM, sava. VERY interesting. I will send an email over to the FO tonight when I am on my home computer. Thanks!!!

BTW, everyone, start to think of questions you'd like to ask the Front Office...

WAGS

Awesome!

Oh man, that would be an out and out slam dunk.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    To GIK,

check your private messages

To everyone else,

The front office is very familar with Redszone, and it should just be a matter of time. Let the excitement build.
    Cool stuff.

Though I wonder how many are familiar and like us vs. how many are familiar and hate us.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in BG
    Well, Mr. Castellini has stated that he wants the Reds to make the fans happy. He also wants to promote the Reds more. THis may be one little way in doing that. Rob Butcher may be on his way out too.
    I would like to see Mr. Butcher shown the exit. That dude is a major league weasel.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Cool stuff.

Though I wonder how many are familiar and like us vs. how many are familiar and hate us.

True enough.

I posted a thread in December about making contact with the new administration, and the more I thought about it, the more problematic it seemed.

Especially when so many of us were calling for DanO's head the last few weeks.

I hope it works out, and we can establish some kind of regular contact. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice the willingness to speak freely for fear of making them mad.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    True enough.

I posted a thread in December about making contact with the new administration, and the more I thought about it, the more problematic it seemed.

Especially when so many of us were calling for DanO's head the last few weeks.

I hope it works out, and we can establish some kind of regular contact. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice the willingness to speak freely for fear of making them mad.

Making them mad??? Who cares if they are? What are they going to do? Stop coming here and answering questions.

I personally think that this would be a very cool thing and it would not stop me or anyone else of being critical when needed.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Cool stuff.

I guess this will truly test the old question "Is there really no such thing as bad publicity?"

Personally, I think it'd be amusing to find out that, at some point, two members of the Reds front office were discussing something they read on here.

Suit #1: "So, you been on RedsZone today?"
    Suit #2: "Yeah, I saw Steel busted your Kearns-for-Westbrook idea pretty bad"
    Suit #1: "You can't make those idiots happy -- they're screaming for groundball pitchers one day, then they rake you over when you try to bring one in."
    Suit #2: "Well, I gave him rep points for it."
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?