Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: List of potential GM's from the Enquirer

List of potential GM's from the Enquirer

From todays bird cage liner.

Johnny Almaraz: The Reds' director of international scouting and player development since the end of the 2003 season.

Chris Antonetti: Entering his fifth season as assistant general manager with the Indians.

Jim Beattie: Former Expos general manager served as the Orioles' executive vice president of baseball operations last season. He is expected to join the Reds as a special adviser this week.

Paul DePodesta: Spent the past two seasons as Dodgers general manager. Fired in October.

Michael Hill: Assistant general manager with the Marlins since 2002 was born and raised in Cincinnati.

Wayne Krivsky: Twins assistant general manager interviewed for the Reds' job after the 2003 season.

Brad Kullman: Reds director of major-league operations was promoted to interim GM on Monday. He worked as co-assistant general manager for the Reds after Jim Bowden was fired in July 2003.

Dayton Moore: Director of player personnel for the Braves.

Tim Naehring: The Reds' director of player development since October 2000.

Dave Wilder: Originally hired by the White Sox in 2003 as an assistant general manager, he is entering his third season as director of player development for the defending World Series champions.

Frank Wren: Former Orioles general manager has been a vice president and assistant general manager with the Braves since October 1999.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: List of potential GM's from the Enquirer

On XM this morning it was stated there was some legit interest in Kim Ng. Would make sense for us to be the first team with a female GM as long as she knows her stuff.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I like Antonetti, DePodesta, and Kullman. Michael Hill intrigues me, but I don't know enough about him to say that I do or do not like him as a candidate. With RCast's "experience" a big theme here, I'm thinking he's not going to have a real shot anyway.

If Naehring is hired, I'm going to change my user name to Team O'Brien.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If they are looking for previous GM or assistant GM experience, then Beattie and Wren would be the front runners. But if Kullman can impress ownership by swinging a deal or two for pitching, he just might sneak it and take it all.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

If they let him make a deal.

I was hoping to see some other names on this list.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Lance McAlister suggested that a couple of assistant GMs for the Cards would be on the short list. Although Lance named names, the concept is so obvious that I'm surprised that the beat writers working on short lists didn't use it in compiling their short lists.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If they let him make a deal.

I was hoping to see some other names on this list.
    Any deal has to be run through the boss. So if it improves the Reds pitching staff, I think Castanelli would approve any deal Kullman makes.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I figure Wren's got to be the guy with the pole position.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Meanwhile Hal throws out other names... making me think that both lists are awash with some nonsense.

CINCINNATI | Owner/CEO Bob Castellini has a list of candidates to become general manager of the Cincinnati Reds and plans to send out invitations for interviews.

The invitations are not gold-embossed, but several candidates consider the job a golden opportunity and emerged quickly after general manager Dan O'Brien was fired Monday morning.

Names surfacing immediately included Brad Kullman, Wayne Krivsky, Gary Hughes, Jack McKeon and Michael Hill, among others.

Jack McKeon? Some folks around here will get out of the pitchforks if that happens.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Jack McKeon? Some folks around here will get out of the pitchforks if that happens.
    Just because you find yourself single at the moment is no excuse to go calling old girlfriends.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I put a little more credence in the Enquirer list because I have a hard time believing they're considering either Hughes or McKeon. Hal mentioned Hughes during the last GM search as well. I think he's Hal's buddy.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Since there are only 8 names on the real list, I doubt either of those are official lists.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Just because you find yourself single at the moment is no excuse to go calling old girlfriends.
    Unless you are horny.

Just sayin'
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I figure Wren's got to be the guy with the pole position.
    If I'm betting, this is who I'm taking too.

Turn Off Ads?