Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns for Westbrook?

Kearns for Westbrook?

It was mentioned in today's papers that the Reds had discussions with the Indians involving Kearns going to Cleveland for RHP Jake Westbrook. According to Brad Kullman, discussions could be revisited especially with the Tribe ready to deal Crisp to the Red Sox for Marte.

So Kearns for Westbrook. Good deal or not?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4422
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns for Westbrook?

No way. Westbrook is a FA in 07.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Too old, no thanks.
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I think Westbrook had a career year in '04. Pass for Kearns, unless they want to sweeten the pot with a top arm prospect
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

bad deal
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Westbrook:
    - 29 years old
    - extreme groundball pitcher (2.69 career gb/fb ratio)
    - very low k rate (~5 K/9)
    - decent control
    - 200+ IP the last two years

I think we could do worse -- but this wouldn't be the kind of deal that would really impact our chances. In other words, I think he'd be a solid FA signee for the #4 spot in a good rotation. I don't think we should trade one of our very limited assets for him. This staff needs to be expanded vertically talent-wise, not horizontally. Adding in another middle/back end guy doesn't really add much value. Package Pena/Kearns with prospects to bring in a guy who is top of the rotation material. We don't need more depth.

The Reds don't need another bat-on-ball pitcher. They need a guy with a live arm and a streak of wildness to throw some variety into the rotation. It would be difficult for opposing hitters to face a pitch-to-contact guy (which means they can swing at anything) to a guy with good stuff but control issues. It would be a lot more difficult for them to get locked into a rhythm over a three-game series.

In theory, anyway...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Only if they take Milton
    Go Gators!

agreed. Kearns for westbrook dosn't help us in any great way, he's just another back of the rotation guy, of which we are loaded with. Now on the other hand I would be willing to look at these scenerios:

1)Kearns-Garko and a A level pitcher-Garko plays 1st base and allows Dunn to go back to left.

2)Kearns-Sipp and Betencourt

3)Kearns-CLiff Lee straight up-why not?

Westbrook is not a bad innings eater but he is very streaky, either shutting down the opposing team or getting lit. He is not what the Reds need now though which is cheap young starters. I'd ask for some of their young starters.

If they get Michaels from Philly as is expected, they may not go for another OF though they prefer Blake as a supersub at this point. The discussed deal reported yesterday was similar, with the Reds getting Mota (for ?, not Westbrook).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The discussed deal reported yesterday was similar, with the Reds getting Mota (for ?, not Westbrook).
    I'd have to believe that Freel would be of interest to a team like CLE, and I'd have to believe that after his latest run-in with the law, the F.O.'s need to put a fan friendly team on the field, and the depth we now have in the OF and at 2B, that Freel would be available in exchange for a late inning bullpen guy.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Here's a thought - why not keep Kearns?

Let's see if he catches lightining in a bottle.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'd rather trade Kearns to KC for a package including J.P. Howell than for a guy like Westbrook.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes
    3)Kearns-CLiff Lee straight up-why not?
    Yes, this would be fantastic, ridiculous, and unbelievable. This is a DanO proposition.

Kearns' value is so over estimated on this board. He might have a great year, but the chances of him batting .245 with 2 months of DL time is too likely for us to get much more than Westbrook in return.

THen we should keep him.

Don't trade for junk.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?