Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rangers begin pitch for Clemens

Rangers begin pitch for Clemens

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....305dc106.html

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

Rangers owner Tom Hicks is the club's chief sales representative when it comes to Roger Clemens.

And he's taking the sales pitch to the next level in his attempt to get the 43-year-old future Hall of Famer to buy into leading the Rangers' revamped starting rotation this year.

Hicks said he drafted a letter on behalf of the Rangers to Clemens' agent, Allan Hendricks, describing why Clemens should come to Arlington. Hicks said he planned to send the letter Monday.

Hicks wouldn't discuss specifics, but said the letter included some financial parameters. He said he also provided information about how the Rangers see their team with Clemens and lifestyle issues in regards to Clemens' desire to spend as much time with his family as possible. Hicks said that might include allowing Clemens to travel some on his own, to ease any concerns he might have about time away from his family.

"I don't think this is going to be about money," said Hicks, who was at American Airlines Center for a news conference Monday about the 2007 NHL All-Star game to be held in Dallas. "I think Roger wants to be able to see his family. We're not far away and we would love for him to come here."

Hendricks said last week that Clemens wouldn't ponder returning until early February. And Hicks doesn't expect Clemens to make any decisions about where he might play until March. Hicks said the indications are that if Clemens decides to play, he'd like to meet at his home with prospective teams.

"Now all we can do is wait and see if they want to have a meeting," Hicks said. "I hope they do."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Rangers begin pitch for Clemens

The Rangers don't get much attention around this part of Texas. Adding the Rocket would give them much more visibility in their own state - probably even in Houston. The signing of Clemens would have value beyond the wins and credibility he would provide.

I still think he ends up back in Houston, though.

My bet is the Yankees.

With the feeling Clemens has about being with his family, I can't see him signing with anyone but Houston -- if he plays.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Clemens to Cincy

I like what the Rangers have done in the offseason & adding Clemens would only add to it. That being said, I don't think he will pitch for Texas...Houston or the Yankees is my guess.

Let's ask astrobuddy....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?