Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If you wear enemy colors expect some crap.
    Yep. Ask the last Steelers clad fan or Bengals clad fan who decided to sit in the Dawg Pound and show them Dawgs who is boss (if their body can be found). Or a any-team clad fan sitting in the Oakland stands.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Teachers are supposed to be more mature than students.

Telling your class to wad up paper and throw it at a student is not very mature.

Embarassing a kid for something like this is not professional at all.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Yep. Ask the last Steelers clad fan or Bengals clad fan who decided to sit in the Dawg Pound and show them Dawgs who is boss (if their body can be found). Or a any-team clad fan sitting in the Oakland stands.
    If I walk into the Black Hole in a Chiefs jersey, I know what to expect.

I somehow doubt this Broncos fan expected to be publicly humiliated for an extended period of time in front of his peers, with the so-called impartial authority figure egging them on.
    Last edited by dsmith421; 01-24-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Wow, some people are just easily rattled ...

I can totally derail my neighbors golf game with a few comments about his game.

GL

Do you inhale or exhale at the top of your swing?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I've been to Cleveland Browns Stadium many times with Bengals gear on. People have talked smack, but I've never been threatened with physical violence. I likewise take my good friend down to Cincinnati for the Browns/Bengals game down there and he has had only minor exchanges of words. Of course, ever since the bottle-throwing incident, Cleveland ownership has been making a concerted effort to "clean things up." It's been rather noticeable in the last 2 years.

Talking smack comes with the territory. It still doesn't justify a person in a position of authority treating someone poorly because he wore the wrong jersey.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Talking smack comes with the territory. It still doesn't justify a person in a position of authority treating someone poorly because he wore the wrong jersey.
    Absolutely.

I don't have a problem with this kid catching hell from other students -- he probably did, and he probably expected it.

But when an authority figure *uses his authority* to humiliate a kid because of a football jersey, that's simply wrong.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Another reason to hate the Steelers and their fans.

If this student...age 17...really felt humiliated because he had to - gasp - sit on the floor, and - horror of horrors - had paper wads thrown at him, he needs to grow a pair.

Otherwise, life is gonna chew this boy up & spit him out once he leaves the friendly bubble of high school and enters the real world.

He was wearing a Broncos jersey to school in Pennsylvania a few days before a Denver-Pittsburgh AFC title game. He knew he was going to get crap. He was begging to take some crap.

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

What exactly did he dish out to his teacher?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Ha ha, a classic.

Wow, the pin placements are impossible today! If a guy can somehow mangage to get the ball close to pin its not like he can expect to make the putt anyways.

Man, I hate it when we have a slow group in front of us ... it really throws off your rythm and concentration ... doesn't it?

GL

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Football fandom should never be a reason to treat someone poorly...ever.
    We're talking about a kid sitting on the floor to take a test and being hit with paper wads (which doesn't even qualify as being hit at all). It's not like the teacher conspired to get everyone whacking the kid with socks stuffed with soap or anything.

When you show up at school wearing appearal designed to inflame or rile those around you (and make no mistake, a 17 year old understands the consequences of wearing a Denver jersey the week before they play the Steelers in the AFC title game), I think it rises to the level of something of an "acceptance of the risk" of being teased by your teachers and students. I'd have more sympathy for this student if the teacher happened to know this kid was a Broncos fan and called him out on it for no reason -- but if he shows up wearing a jersey, he knows what he's trying to do.

The real thing I blame the teacher for is doing this to a student he didn't know well enough to take it. Whenever my teachers harassed me for being a Bucs fan, they always knew me well enough to know that I'd laugh along and/or talk smack right back at them. I know that it's classic "bully-enabling" language when people say you've got to learn how to take a joke -- but you really do in this sort of case.

Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong point of view...I don't know. If I was a parent, I'd probably feel differently.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    If this student...age 17...really felt humiliated because he had to - gasp - sit on the floor, and - horror of horrors - had paper wads thrown at him, he needs to grow a pair.

Otherwise, life is gonna chew this boy up & spit him out once he leaves the friendly bubble of high school and enters the real world.

He was wearing a Broncos jersey to school in Pennsylvania a few days before a Denver-Pittsburgh AFC title game. He knew he was going to get crap. He was begging to take some crap.

Im sure if the kid did the same thing back to the teacher he would be getting in trouble for it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The teacher said it "was a lesson"...and it was, but he just didn't teach it.

In this "ethnicity" class, a student was subject to discrimination, unwarranted anger and hostility and the "mob" effect (people do something just because other do even if they know its wrong). Not to mention that people's morals bowed to the power of authority (or how did Hitler get people to kill 6 million jews).

This is classic stuff and if the teacher had bothered to explain any of it before the bell rang, the students would have come away with a stimulating experience that may make them less subject to manipulation.

He probably thought they could figure it out by themselves. That makes him STUPID, but not mean.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

Yep, that'll do it everytime. Get the other golfer thinking...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

The teacher is a coward & a bully, and he clearly doesn't understand the proper context of sports in one's life. He certainly doesn't come off as a well adjusted mature adult, which isn't too much to ask for in a teacher.

Of course the kid's going to get crap from the other students for wearing an Elway jersey. That's understandable. I'd expect the same if I did that in high school.

But where does a teacher get off using his authority to bully a student over something as minor as a football game? I love football as much as (probably much more than, truth be told) the next sports obsessed American, but I realize it's place in the pecking order of life. I can understand a vapid slobbering drunk slackjaw badgering me at a sportsbar for wearing the wrong colors. I'm baffled by a teacher -- an alleged role model and authority figure -- bullying one of his students over a lousy football game. That's his life. You know what I'm saying?

Turn Off Ads?