Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

Re: Student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

Is this "ethnicity" class designed to teach students what it feels like to be different? That's my read. And if that's the case, then it did exactly what it's designed to do. It doesn't mean the teacher was actually ticked off because the kid is a Denver fan.

Remember the age old "test" of brown-eyed students vs blue-eyed students, which was designed to teach students what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination?
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 01-24-2006 at 07:27 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with TB on this one.

I guess it really depends on the objective the teacher was trying to illustrate in a ethnicity class. If he was simply to humiliate a student because he wore a Denver jersey, then obviously that would be wrong. But if he was trying to illustrate to this student (and the class) about the effects discrimination and hatred has on an individual because they are different, then it could be an effective tool.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Is this "ethnicity" class designed to teach students what it feels like to be different? That's my read. And if that's the case, then it did exactly what it's designed to do. It doesn't mean the teacher was actually ticked off because the kid is a Denver fan.

Remember the age old "test" of brown-eyed students vs blue-eyed students, which was designed to teach students what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination?
    I agree, if this was in any other class, well I guess I'd be shocked. Actually, I was the typical picked on kid in school. I was a loner, and even though I made good grades, I HATED school. Got along with some teachers, but others seem to be out to get me [well it seemed that way] I was called all kinds of names by some of the kids (some not printable) with one of the nicer names being "crow" because of my long nose and dark hair. If there was any physical harm in all of this, I'm sure my parents would come to my rescue - but since I also got picked on by my sisters at home - they knew I would take it. For me, the "real world" was a lot better than school.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

If it was an experiment, it was a poor one.

1. If you're going to conduct an experiment, make sure the subject is cool with it.
    2. If you're going to give a midterm exam, don't mess with the evironment so that one person has to take the exam in a substantially different manner than the other students.
    3. Again, football fandom is not a reason for treating someone poorly, especially when you are an authority figure. All that does is ratchet up the abuse that kid gets for the rest of the day, because now everybody thinks it's okay to give the kid holy hell because "a teacher did it too."

When you are a person in a position of authority, you have to be careful how you conduct yourself among those subject to your authority. Playful ribbing can quickly escalate to serious abuse because other students suddenly feel they have license to act out because the teacher started it.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it as a former teacher and a Bengals fan living in Brownstown, but I just don't see how anyone can justify treating someone poorly over a football game. And if it was just an experiment, it was ill-timed and poorly executed.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

WAGS

i heard about this on mike and mike and started roflling

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

Was it a "lesson" or was it "silly fun"?

It sounds to me like a lesson in power trips. If you have the authority, you can bully a teenager over something as meaningless as football.

I'd like to see the teacher try that on another adult. It sounds like he's not the kind of guy who wants anything to do with a fair fight...make sure all of the power is on your side when you try something like that.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    If this student...age 17...really felt humiliated because he had to - gasp - sit on the floor, and - horror of horrors - had paper wads thrown at him, he needs to grow a pair.

Otherwise, life is gonna chew this boy up & spit him out once he leaves the friendly bubble of high school and enters the real world.

He was wearing a Broncos jersey to school in Pennsylvania a few days before a Denver-Pittsburgh AFC title game. He knew he was going to get crap. He was begging to take some crap.

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.
    I'd like to see the teacher "grow a pair" when the power is on the other side of the ledger.

You wanna throw paper? Oh, we'll throw paper. Rolls of it. Eggs too. And that will hardly be the worst of it. In the morning, when he sees his house, lawn and vehicle, then we'll see who received the "lesson". Life can chew up a teacher and spit him out too.

Or does that only work one way? Only the person in the position of authority is allowed to misuse his power for humiliation purposes?

Don't like your houses being vandalized? Grow a frickin' pair! This is the real world, baby!

I think the kid is being a bit whiny about this. I had a teacher throw water on me because I wore a UC shirt the day of the 91 Crosstown shootout. She knew I could take the joke there.

On the flip side, the teacher's excuse of trying to teach a lesson is bunk.

He played a joke on the student, the student didn't think it was funny, he should have apologized, given the kid a chance to re-take the test, and the world would have moved on.

My question is who called the media? More than likely the kid. If he's afraid of "retaliation" now that the story has gotten to the media, maybe he needs to look into who leaked the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Unless the kid was acting up and being a loudmouth about his rooting interests, that was way out of line. I can imagine getting verbally razzed from my teachers, but they would have never made me take a test on the floor (whether they thought I could "take it" or not).

Other students are another matter entirely. You can predict that some kids may act poorly.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

My question is who called the media? More than likely the kid.
    The kid's parents, I'd imagine.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Totally inappropriate for the teacher to play a joke during a test.

It would be different if he did it during a normal class and it was over in 5 min.
    But I think the kid has a legit beef that he was forced to do this during an exam/test.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If I am the Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, I'm finding this kid and offering him a free package deal including tickets, airfare, hotel, meals, locker-room visits, merchandise, etc for a football weekend next year in Denver. It might seem expensive for us, but a little out of petty cash for the Broncos would seal the deal.

Then WHO would have the last laugh....
    Last edited by Heath; 01-25-2006 at 02:46 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I agree with TB on this one.

I guess it really depends on the objective the teacher was trying to illustrate in a ethnicity class. If he was simply to humiliate a student because he wore a Denver jersey, then obviously that would be wrong. But if he was trying to illustrate to this student (and the class) about the effects discrimination and hatred has on an individual because they are different, then it could be an effective tool.
    And I think it's after-the-fact rationalization by a teacher who knows he a) went too far and b) is in danger of losing his job.

That explanation, in my opinion, is so patently ludicrous I can't believe anyone is taking it seriously.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06027/645419.stm

NFL Stats
    NFL Teams
    NFL Moves
    AFC Injuries
    NFC Injuries
    Fantasy Column
    The Skin Center. Click here. Black and Gold Insider
    Black & Gold Insider Log In
    Black and Gold hangouts
    Salary.com
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    QB Elway sends gift to student reportedly taunted for Broncos jersey

Friday, January 27, 2006

BEAVER COUNTY

Joshua Vannoy expected a little ribbing when he wore a John Elway jersey to Big Beaver Area Senior High School before the AFC Championship game pitting the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Denver Broncos.

But he didn't expect a teacher and classmates to turn on him, to have to stay home from school because he fears for his safety or to make national headlines.

His parents and attorney will meet with school officials today to see if he can drop a course without failing and if it's OK for him to return to school.

The controversy has even gotten the legendary Mr. Elway involved. The former Broncos quarterback sent Joshua, 17, a gift. Joshua will be watching the next game from an Elway Home reclining massage chair, with No. 7's signature on it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

The controversy has even gotten the legendary Mr. Elway involved. The former Broncos quarterback sent Joshua, 17, a gift. Joshua will be watching the next game from an Elway Home reclining massage chair, with No. 7's signature on it.
    Rumor has it, Elway got the chair off of eBay from a user named d_miley2005.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?