Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dano's Statement, Per Marc

Dano's Statement, Per Marc

"I truly enjoyed being a part of the Reds organization and living in this community Ė it was great.

When I originally accepted the job, I was very honest in portraying the current condition of the organization and what our plan was to rebuild the Reds into a championship-caliber organization.

The only means to accomplish this goal was by building a solid organizational foundation with a productive minor league system. I promised that we would not take shortcuts, and I never wavered from that commitment.

While I do understand the frustrations involved, immediate results at the major league level were not a realistic goal. I was very forthright in explaining the timeline necessary to accomplish our goals. Unfortunately, I was not given the requisite time necessary to carry this plan to the ultimate conclusion, which is a championship.

I understand that itís new ownershipís prerogative to make changes and hire their own people. It is a difficult part of the business, but I respect Bob Castelliniís decision.

I want to assure everyone that the minor league and scouting foundation thatís currently in place is there for future success. Iím very confident in the quality and the depth of the talent base at the lower levels of our minor league system, due primarily to the last two yearsí free-agent drafts and the restructuring of our Latin American operations.

I commend everybody on the scouting staff for a job well done, and our minor league managers, coaches and instructors have every reason to be proud of what theyíve accomplished at this point in time. I want to personally thank each and every member of the front office staff for their hard work and dedication. I have great confidence in these individuals to continue to move the organization forward during this transition period.

In addition, Iíd like to commend Jerry Narron and his major league coaching staff. Jerry is the right man for this job, and Iím very certain that the team will play to its potential under his leadership.

Iím convinced that this organization is headed in the right direction and Iím genuinely proud of the effort that was put forth over the last couple of years. Whatís been accomplished to date will play an important role in the future success of this franchise. The quality of the work that has been done will stand the test of time and validate the decisions that have been made.

In closing, Iíd like to express my sincere thanks to Mr. Lindner for presenting this opportunity. Iím genuinely grateful and appreciative, and I think all of you know that I truly care about the Reds organization and I respect the people who work here behind the scenes."
    Translation:

"The plan didn't involve winning at the major or minor league level, so it was working, despite the lack of meaningful acquisions or apparent progress. Given more time to keep on keepin' on, you'd've really seen something, let me tell you. Your loss."

:obrien:
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dano's Statement, Per Marc

That is a classy statement. I will save other comments I may have for another thread. Exiting gracefully in a situation like this is a sign of true character. I wish Mr. O'Brien good luck in the future.

I don't even know how to respond to that. He drafted three postition players in two years that have even a little chance of helping the major league team in the next 10 years (Bruce, Rosales and BJ) and he thinks he stockpiled the lower minors.

OK, he got Bailey and Wood.

I don't even know what to say.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    That is a classy statement. I will save other comments I may have for another thread. Exiting gracefully in a situation like this is a sign of true character. I wish Mr. O'Brien good luck in the future.
    Classy? He claims the minors are sparkling, thanks to him (they're 24th or something, right?), he claims the organization is moving in the right direction, thanks to him, and he claims that if he'd only been left in place, The Plan would have become a championship. Who here believes any of that?

Sour grapes.

That's all I've got.

BTW, he really likes the word "requisite," doesn't he? He used that word a number of times during the course of his run as GM.
    And this one belongs to the Reds!!!- Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Classy? He claims the minors are sparkling, thanks to him (they're 24th or something, right?), he claims the organization is moving in the right direction, thanks to him, and he claims that if he'd only been left in place, The Plan would have become a championship. Who here believes any of that?

Sour grapes.

and, better yet, he claims that even though his "plan" was cut short, it will be the foundation that he layed in his 2 years here that leads to the success of the future.

Hey Mr. O'Brien:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

While I don't agree with his POV, I will say that that this is the kind of statement that he neds to make in order to have any chance of finding another significant job in baseball.

I also find it kind of ironic that this "statement" was more direct than anything he ever said while he was the GM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I don't even know how to respond to that. He drafted three postition players in two years that have even a little chance of helping the major league team in the next 10 years (Bruce, Rosales and BJ) and he thinks he stockpiled the lower minors.

OK, he got Bailey and Wood.

I don't even know what to say.
    He got the steal of the draft in Sam LeCure too. during his tenure he aquired a lot of ML talent that was better than the dreck the reds had. I still defend Reitsma for Bong/Nelson as a good baseball trade even if the results are poor. The reasoning behind the trade was sound, and was about as good a return as you could expect from a Reitsma. I was also a fan of the Randa trade. Two pitchers for a 36 year old 3B on a one year contract ain't bad.

DanO's problem wasn't evaluating minor league talent. It was an inability to quickly pull the trigger to get major league talent. And an almost Jimbo like ability to be wrong about major league pitching (Wilson, Milton, Ortiz). Had he done better with the starters, I think he's here through 2006, with a pipeline in the making at Sarasota and below.

It was a classy exit statement though. I wish him well. I doubt he's ever in the GM seat again, but he would make a good director of minor leagues for some team out there.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Hey, the guy has to put his head on the pillow at night and try to sleep. But, we no longer have to watch his snail crawl across the landscape with no apparent destination.

One of the most depressing times of the season last year was doing daily minor league updates and watching most of the teams lose on any given day. There is so little to get excited about in our current system that it just really takes a lot of cajones for the self portrayal that he accomplished anything. I sure cannot think of anything productive off the top of my head.

In fact the funniest thing I've read in a while was when one of the Enquirer writers gave DanO credit for Harang and Lopez breaking out last year. What did he do? In fact, he hindered Lopez breakout, only a well timed hammy injury to Aurilia changed that fortune (and I have an alibi : ). What a ridiculous exit statement.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I also find it kind of ironic that this "statement" was more direct than anything he ever said while he was the GM.
    No strings attached.

I want to personally thank each and every member of the front office staff for their hard work and dedication.
    I'm surprised he didn't thank each one personally in his statement.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

While I do understand the frustrations involved, immediate results at the major league level were not a realistic goal. I was very forthright in explaining the timeline necessary to accomplish our goals. Unfortunately, I was not given the requisite time necessary to carry this plan to the ultimate conclusion, which is a championship.
    If immediate results at the major-league level were not a realistic goal, WHY DID YOU INVEST $25 MILLION IN ERIC MILTON?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    That's because he didn't write it.

I agree he had to say something to save face, but dude, keep it believable.

Fans;

By now some you have been made aware and others have not of a recent reorganization of the front office in which certain members of the staff were given new responsibilities outside the organization. As one of a number of such people both of and approximately of the status under discussion here, I can say with all candor that my feelings on the matter are both relevant and not. Rather than focus too much on the particulars of this or that eventuality, let me say that a rising tide lifts all boats, and so I wholeheartedly embrace this new challenge with all the vim and vigor I did the last one.

Yours;

DanO

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    If immediate results at the major-league level were not a realistic goal, WHY DID YOU INVEST $25 MILLION IN ERIC MILTON?
    Because he was there, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    ...or re-sign Wilson.
    Or sign Womack.
    Or re-sign Aurilia.
    Or sign Ramon Ortiz.

Actually, it's all starting to make sense. Clearly, the goal WASN'T to win at the major league level. Pouring over the O'Brien free agent crap-a-thon list, it becomes readily apparent that there was never an impetus to win at the major league level. So it appears that we are, in fact, in agreement.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?