Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Kearns Goes, Will Dunn Go Also?

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

If Kearns Goes, Will Dunn Go Also?

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: If Kearns Goes, Will Dunn Go Also?

Depends on how much money the Reds give him.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I think Dunn gets his LTC as soon or before Kearns is dealt, I really dont see him leaving too.

If keeping Kearns around helps get Dunn to sign an LTC, it should happen.

If I'm Castellini, I request a face-to-face meeting with Dunn and his agent early in ST. Follow up with an offer/negotiations. Figure out if a LTC can happen. Once that's decided, then you'll be much better able to address what to do with the other young offensive players.

I'm deleting my original post because I think I was responding to something that I interpreted wrongly.
    Last edited by redsfan30; 01-26-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

In another thread I detailed the list of reasons Dunn has to NOT sign a long term contract with this franchise.
    Trading Kearns would probably add to that list. By all accounts the two (and LaRue are friends)

It is a business and if Dunn hasnt figured that out then I dont know what to tell him. This isnt little league where you get to play with all your buddies. I can see if he was upset over some things in the past but things have changed. Besides if he wants to lose for the next 10 years with Kearns by his side he can do it elsewhere, if trading Kearns makes this team better I could care less if Adam Dunn gets upset, but I really dont think he would.

He is a professional. He would be upset for a period of time and then get over it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs
    In another thread I detailed the list of reasons Dunn has to NOT sign a long term contract with this franchise.
    Trading Kearns would probably add to that list. By all accounts the two (and LaRue are friends)
    Now I can post what I posted earlier.

Pitching wins baseball games. Not outfielders. Austin Kearns can bring back pitching to help you win and apparently he will at some point. If trading Austin Kearns can improve your team and give you a chance to win, Adam Dunn has to realize that you have to do that. If he raises a stink with it and leaves town because they traded his friend that is no different than what Sean Casey was killed around here for.

Anytime Sean Casey made comments about seeing a friend traded he was consistantly ridiculed for it. It seems to me that people give Adam Dunn a free pass when it comes to him and Kearns. What's the difference between Sean Casey saying what he said and Dunn (potentially) leaving because they traded his friend?

I like Adam Dunn, but that's not fair.

Adam Dunn should make his decision to stay with this organization based on whether he thinks they can win or not. Not whether they traded his friend or not.

Dunn will stay for the right $

Sorry, I like Dunn..but all players are about the $
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Anytime Sean Casey made comments about seeing a friend traded he was consistantly ridiculed for it. It seems to me that people give Adam Dunn a free pass when it comes to him and Kearns. What's the difference between Sean Casey saying what he said and Dunn (potentially) leaving because they traded his friend?

I like Adam Dunn, but that's not fair.
    There's a big difference. Sean is on record with those statements whereas you are supposing Dunn feels the same way about something that may or may not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'll preface this by saying that I think every professional athlete wants to win. However, I think some athletes makes winning their #1 goal, and nothing else matters. I get the distinct impression from Dunn that while he wants to win, it's really only a piece of puzzle. It seems he wants to be comfortable, happy, surrounded by friends. He wants to be able to go fishing sometimes instead of spending a few extra hours watching tape.

Obviously, losing is no way to have fun, and Dunn realizes that. But if winning means being miserable personally, I think he'll take mediocrity from his team. This isn't any specfic comment on the effect of a Kearns trade and is admitedly almost pure conjecture. It's just the vibe I get from him.

I think he goes to FA when the time comes, checks out his options, and takes a deal from a mid market team that's probably not the "best" offer on the board. Baseball is his job, not his passion. He enjoys it, but it's not the obsession it is for some guys. He'll be comfortable, make a lot of money, and hit a lot of homers. It might be in Cincy, might not.

Perhaps though, after he goes through the process of losing friends to trades or free agency a few more times and begins the downslope of his career, he'll start to prioritize winning more strongly. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the .400 OBP and tape measure bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    There's a big difference. Sean is on record with those statements whereas you are supposing Dunn feels the same way about something that may or may not happen.
    You're right that nothing has happened so nobody has anyway of knowing what any reaction would be.

But I just get the impression from people that they think the Reds should keep Austin Kearns because we don't want to make Adam Dunn mad even if trading Kearns made this a better team.

Anytime Sean Casey made comments about seeing a friend traded he was consistantly ridiculed for it.
    As he should have been, Boone, Sulliven, Willy, Graves.... all the boys from Sean's first trip to summer camp in 1999 were patted on the rump as they left by Sean.

Meanwhile all the Dunn talk is just that... talk.
    “Until the trade deadline’s over,” said first baseman Sean Casey, “I think everyone’s kind of on edge right now.”

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/07/30/...7-30-2003.html

A day later it was then the Boone trade that really began Seans lament and it reached a roar when Sullivan was traded in August..

“My reaction is it’s a salary dump. It doesn’t make a difference if I’m upset or whatever. It’s not about our feelings. It’s about money, obviously.”

“I understand you have to get young talent and this and that, but Scott Sullivan came here below market value to remain in Cincinnati because he loved pitching here and he came up through this organization,” Reds first baseman Sean Casey said.

“It’s just a money thing. This one is so frustrating because Sully has led the league and led the world four of the last five years in appearances. They say no guy is irreplaceable, but Scott Sullivan is irreplaceable. The leadership he brought here and the things he brought to this team, for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. … It’s a sad day here for a lot of guys.”

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/08/22/...8-22-2003.html

He’s one of the greatest teammates I’ve ever had,” Casey said. “As a fan watching, you know who’s genuine and who’s not and who goes out there and takes pride in what they do every day and who doesn’t. Watching Boone play, you know he takes pride every day. He goes out and gives everything he has every night. That’s why people in Cincinnati love him and that’s why we loved him here in the clubhouse.”
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....505210369/1035

“This is getting hit by a shovel,” Casey said. “Guys loved that guy. Guys loved Danny Graves. It’s got to have a negative effect.

“Right now is one of lowest points I’ve ever been involved in with the Reds.”

“I’m shocked more than anything,” Casey said. “It’s just shocking. Anytime this organization asked Danny Graves to take the ball, he did. He never complained. He never griped. You never heard anything out of him.”

“This is not his fault,” first baseman Sean Casey said. “We stink. For us to be 15-28 has nothing to do with Danny Graves. That’s the frustrating part for me.

“I know I’m a little emotional right now, but I think the Cincinnati Reds as an organization owe a lot more to Danny Graves for the eight years he stepped up every year. They owe him more than to just release him like this. I just disagree with it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    He is a professional. He would be upset for a period of time and then get over it.
    That's my take too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?