Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien fired! Kullman interm GM, announcement at 5pm

Re: O'Brien fired! Kullman interm GM, announcement at 5pm

Names surfacing immediately included Brad Kullman, Wayne Krivsky, Gary Hughes, Jack McKeon and Michael Hill, among others.
    Kullman good. Considering the continued slant of the Twins, Krivsky is a guy with whom I'd completely be on the fence. Reds need more than that. Gary Hughes isn't anyone an intelligent team should remotely consider. He's a dolt of the first order. Jack McKeon just needs to drift off into the nice place the rest of us call "retirement".

Hill is an relatively unknown quantity, but I like the fact that he's been with a team that has consistently dealt players for real value. That being said, it's impossible to know how much influence he's had with those moves.

Overall, that's an exceptionally uninspiring list of GM candidates. There isn't a single guy on that list I'd want running the baseball operation over Brad Kullman.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wonder what RCast uses as his screen name here at RZ, cause it looks like he read the threads and answered our prayers.

I woke up at 0300 and couldn't go back to sleep cause I am so excited about the season now. (yeah, I need a life) No I don't have hopes for a great winning season, but I have hopes for good things coming down the road.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Wonder what RCast uses as his screen name here at RZ, cause it looks like he read the threads and answered our prayers.

I woke up at 0300 and couldn't go back to sleep cause I am so excited about the season now. (yeah, I need a life) No I don't have hopes for a great winning season, but I have hopes for good things coming down the road.

Hell, I'm still up at 430am reading all that I can about this. I'm pretty stoked as well. Not for a great season this year,(though this has rekindled my fire for this season even) but same as you creek...for the future of our beloved team.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It is really hard to have sympathy for someone who was overemployed, thus overpaid. It isn't like we're rejoicing that middle manager Bob making 40 grand a year with five kids, two of which are in college, lost his job due to downsizing.
    I agree. I don't wish O'Brien ill. However he received an opportunity that most of us here would give almost anything to have, and he was presumably very well paid for his time as GM. I also assume he will land another job of some sort in baseball, somewhere.
    I do not rejoice because of O'Brien's personal misfortune any more than I rejoiced over the personal misfortunes of Jimmy Haynes and Danny Graves being released. In each case I rejoiced because someone who clearly, absolutely could not do the job he was hired to do was finally let go, with the hope that a more competent person would take his place.
    The next question is whether or not the Reds now hire a more competent person as GM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I heard binder sales were down at the local Wal Mart today after this firing.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I'm sorry, I just now got on the net....been having issues....but all I have to say is....sorry Joeseph....HOOOOORAYYYYYYY!

There is MUCH joy in Mudville, for might Casti HASN'T struck out! (yet)

For the Kim Ng fans:

The new GM, however, will have wide latitude as far as building his staff.

"Whoever he or she is, they will have time to assess the personnel," Castellini said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601240385/1071

I have a hard time seeing this town accepting the first female GM.

Sadly.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I have a hard time seeing this town accepting the first female GM.

Sadly.
    yep. but then again, i feel it's a similar issue as team chemistry. start winning, and suddenly it's all good.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Hill is an relatively unknown quantity, but I like the fact that he's been with a team that has consistently dealt players for real value. That being said, it's impossible to know how much influence he's had with those moves.
    Michael Hill is from Cincinnati and is African American. Neither of these should be major considerations for his hire, IMO, but would they would frankly be the biggest reasons for him getting an INTERVIEW. His baseball philosophy is an unknown (importance scouting v. stats, etc.), but I'll take "UN-known" philosophy over what I know about Hughes' philosophy.
    Stick to your guns.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I second RedsBaron's zillion emoticon post.

It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player.
    Beautiful.

I hear Jim Beattie plays a mean accordion.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    For the Kim Ng fans:

The new GM, however, will have wide latitude as far as building his staff.

"Whoever he or she is, they will have time to assess the personnel," Castellini said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601240385/1071
    So I guess I am still in the running...
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Count me in the Hire Creek gang
    Go Gators!

It's gonna be an interesting Spring.

I still say they should have shoved him out of the window and made it look like an accident.

Now I gotta figure out a way to make my avatar FLUSH!

I like Kullman the best of any candidates so far. You'll never see Depo. Looking at what Castinelli sets down as characteristics that he is looking for in a new GM, Depo is a few sparkplugs short IMO.

And we can kill the Pinella rumors (at least for a year). But I betcha Narron is gonna be sweatin' bricks come the end of next season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I really hope they don't make the same mistake again. You know, hiring someone who would have the credentials good for being a Reds fan (Reds fan growing up, Ohio boy, recall that Big Red Machine thing) and not someone you would want running your baseball team in need of an overhaul.

It's simple right now IMO, Kullman or DePo. For once I would like to be a fan of a team who is not essentially the virtual opposite of everything I believe in as a baseball fan. It would be so great to have a guy with some savvy and it would show that this new ownership isn't about the safe or easy choice (and considering to move out of the Dark Ages that Lindner had us in.)

And all of these articles calling Dan O methodical is putting it nicely, I bet he takes 45 minutes to decide between a #2 and a #3 at Wendy's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Turn Off Ads?