Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Gary Redus Ruled

We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Now on rotoworld it says we shot down a deal last week that wouldve sent Austin to Cleveland while Boston would send us Clement. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

I would TRADE Pena for Clement. I would rather keep Kearns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Clement is nothing special. Neither is Austin Kearns really. I would rather keep Pena than Kearns. I wouldnt trade either for Matt Clement. His strikeout numbers dropped off considerably this past season, not to mention his ERA was higher than the league average.

I don't buy it, the Sox aren't that desperate.
    Go Gators!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redus
    Now on rotoworld it says we shot down a deal last week that wouldve sent Austin to Cleveland while Boston would send us Clement. Thoughts?
    I think you miss read it:

According to the Boston Herald, the Reds are interested in getting back into the Coco Crisp deal, making a nine-player swap a possibility.
    We're still not sure of the details here, but as reported earlier, Matt Clement would likely go to Cincinnati and Austin Kearns would be sent to Cleveland. We assume Andy Marte would still go Cleveland. Also, the agreed-upon Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes swap would probably be killed off.

Rotoworld.com

How about trading Kearns for Crisp and leave Boston out all together. The Reds could desperately use a CF with range, too.

From Today's Boston rag:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=122874

Because reliever Guillermo Mota reportedly failed his physical in Cleveland yesterday, the Red Sox will have to restructure their deal in order to acquire Indians outfielder Coco Crisp, according to baseball sources.
    Mota’s right shoulder concerned Indians officials enough to reject him, placing the Crisp deal on hold, if not in peril. Mota had an inflamed right elbow last May and was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis in September.
    Mota, who was acquired by the Red Sox from the Marlins in a November trade, was part of a three-player package that included top prospect Andy Marte, a third baseman, and minor league catcher Kelly Shoppach. The Red Sox were to receive Crisp, who would replace departed center fielder Johnny Damon, as well as reliever David Riske and catcher Josh Bard.

The Indians were also going to trade left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes to Philadelphia for outfielder Jason Michaels, who would replace Crisp. That deal is still on, and the Phillies were told by the Indians that the Crisp-Sox trade was not dead.
    The Indians would need another reliever, but it is not clear who they have targeted. Manny Delcarmen’s name has been heard often but the Indians may have their eye on another prospect. They are not interested in new Red Sox relievers Julian Tavarez or Rudy Seanez.
    It is believed Sox general manager Theo Epstein and the Indians’ front office last night were trying to restructure the deal and get the right ingredients to satisfy Cleveland.
    It is also believed that the Reds are interested in reviving the three-team talks that would produce a nine-player swap, in which Matt Clement would go to Cincinnati.
    I wouldn't mind having Clement, but I prefer not to trade Austin Kearns for him. I fear that's what is going to happen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

For a Level Playing Field

Why not trade Kearns? Especially for a pitcher. It is not like Matt Clement is Dave Williams.

PITCHING people. That is what this team needs... not outfielders. Don't believe it... then check the pitching stats of this team since 2000.

I like Austin too. But this team needs pitching. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Not sure of the truthfulness behind this story, but this team needs pitchers. Not Eric Milton or Dave Williams, but Clement would be a step in the right direction.

Clement costs $18 million over the next 2 years, and his performance last year degenerated badly in the 2nd half. I would add that according to 2nd hand rumors via a co-worker of mine who has a relative who works in a posh Boston watering hole, Clement is a thirsty guy, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with social drinking, but when people start to talk about you....

I'd look elsewhere.

pre-concussion Clement this is pretty simple...post-concussion Clement i'm not sure about, but by the time you know wheather or not he's recovered, he's either more valuable or Jimmy Haynes.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Why not trade Kearns?
    I'm bias. He is my favorite Red. Why? I don't know.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Kearns + a minor leaguer of their choice + Milton for Clement

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Kearns + a minor leaguer of their choice + Milton for Clement

you really want to get rid of that Milton character don't you?

Yeah, Clement's expensive and he fell off the table pretty hard. I'm all for gambling--just not with that kind of cash commitment.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    you really want to get rid of that Milton character don't you?
    Does it show?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?