Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Re: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Quote Originally Posted by donnelly_31
    I think Clement would be great in a Reds uni. Get him back to the National League where he is familiar. Plus he had a low 3's ERA with the Cubs the year before last, he just had horrible run support. To say the very least the Reds can offer run support
    Replace "Clement" with "Womack".

Pass.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Marte, Shoppach, Lester and others all have interest for me from BOS for Kearns.

I actually wouldn't mind picking up Marte, moving him or EE to 2B from 3B and moving Freel to OF every day.

Marte is probably a longshot because I think they want to do Marte and Kearns for Crisp and stuff, which is highway robbery.

We ought to just offer Freel for Marte and Delcarmen and go from there. Freel is everything Crisp is, if not better as a CF/Leadoff.
    I am with you on this one. Boston has several guys that interest me, moreso than Clement. I like Shoppach, Marte & Lester (even though I am not sure Boston is willing to deal him either...ala Papelbon). Clement's salary and inconsistency worry me. I would rather see AK in a Reds uniform with the possibility of boosting his trade value, than taking on Clement. Now if Wily Mo was their interest...

I don't buy that NL/AL thing, only difference is the NL plays the game right and the AL runs a DH up there..how is that different to a pitcher pitching?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't buy that NL/AL thing, only difference is the NL plays the game right and the AL runs a DH up there..how is that different to a pitcher pitching?
    Most DH's are more proficient with a bat than are pitchers. Obviously, not all NL pitchers are easy outs, but I imagine any pitcher would rather face a pitcher than a designated hitter.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

The NL is more of a smallball style of baseball, using the stolen base, get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in. In the AL it is homerpalooza.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I like Shoppach, Marte & Lester
    I like Lester. I think Marte has been overrated, and I want no part of Shoppach (slow bat).

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I like Lester. I think Marte has been overrated, and I want no part of Shoppach (slow bat).
    I think Shoppach would be a good pick up. He may have a slow bat, but hitting improves with experience/repetition. I would have never expected for Larue to have a season like he had last year based on his early years. As for Marte, he could very easily be overrated, but he would be an improvement to our ML system and his talent can't be overlooked, imo. I would love to get Lester, but I just don't see us prying him away. From things I have read, both he & Papelbon are untouchable...unfortunately.

I tend to overvalue our players (at times) and expect more in return than they are probably worth. I just don't see AK for Clement as a benefit for the Reds in the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    The NL is more of a smallball style of baseball, using the stolen base, get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in. In the AL it is homerpalooza.
    HR
    NL—2580
    AL—2437

SB
    NL—1349
    AL—1216

SF
    NL—669
    AL—646

SH
    NL—1151
    AL—469

R
    NL—11535
    AL—10067
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    HR
    NL—2580
    AL—2437

SB
    NL—1349
    AL—1216

SF
    NL—669
    AL—646

SH
    NL—1151
    AL—469

R
    NL—11535
    AL—10067
    That doesn't totally disprove what I said. The American League is just really bad at executing their style of play.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Kearns for Clement just isn't worth it. It's not a deal that is going to maximize the value of our assets.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 01-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Except the "asset" Kearns has a diminished value except for many on this board.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?