Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Change of scenery would be good for both players. Does Clement's salary use up all of the surplus in the budget, though?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Change of scenery would be good for both players. Does Clement's salary use up all of the surplus in the budget, though?
    And then some. (Unless another salary is shipped out).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yeah, Clement's expensive and he fell off the table pretty hard. I'm all for gambling--just not with that kind of cash commitment.
    What he said. The cash committment is the killer in this deal; otherwise, both Kearns and Clement are question marks as to whether they'll bounce back, and we've already got plenty of decent bats.

If you could find some way to lessen the financial strain, like the Milton add-in mentioned above it'd be a great trade, but unless BOS gets to unload some payroll I don't see them swapping Clement for Kearns.

CLE needs relievers - maybe we could throw them Bubba if they'll take Milton and eat half of his contract? Wagner for a 75% meal? Though I don't know what Wagner's stock is right now.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'd do it if they agreed to take Milton's contract. I'm with FCB and raven. The drop off after getting hit in the head worries me. If it weren't for that, I'd be all over it. Although, I suspect that were it not for that, the Sox would have interest in trading him. I think they know he's damaged goods now.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Kearns is my boy. Offer Pena for Clement.

I would do the Kearns for Clement deal in a minute. But with the Casey trade done, I wouldn't lose both Casey and Kearns.

First off, I'm against trading Kearns -- despite what the media seems to think we do not have a surplus of outfielders anymore -- Dunn may not want to play first base but it sounds like he will.

That said, if we were able to trade Kearns + Milton to get back Clement, why not? It's a wash monetarily for Boston and they pick up the RF bat to replace Trot "my name is much better than my actual game" Nixon or to trade to Cleveland (with other parts) for Crisp.

Of course, I think think ALL trades should be on hold until the new GM comes in. Let him or her decide the team to put on the field.

If Boston picks up a good portion of Clement's contract, I'd do it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

From Brad Kullman's comments over the past 2 days and this the second published rumor about a trade, it looks like a trade of Austin Kearns is all but inevitable...at least to me it does. It looks like there will be a rotation pitcher coming back regardless of who the trading partner is.

Now the question is this...who plays the outfield in place of Kearns? Denorfia? Do we go out and get another outfielder? Freel?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Now the question is this...who plays the outfield in place of Kearns? Denorfia? Do we go out and get another outfielder? Freel?
    Womack and Rich will take 2nd, Freel will go to the OF.
    Go Gators!

From Brad Kullman's comments over the past 2 days and this the second published rumor about a trade, it looks like a trade of Austin Kearns is all but inevitable...at least to me it does. It looks like there will be a rotation pitcher coming back regardless of who the trading partner is.

I agree, Kearns is all but gone. Now the questions are: who do we get in return, does anyone go with Kearns, and who plays the OF.

From what I've heard so far, the options on Kearns (that have been reported are: Matt Clement, Jake Westbrook, Jason Marquis). I'd have to think that when Kearns does go Freel and Denorfia are the most likely to replace him. If Freel wins the job, I think you're looking at a lot of Tony Womack at 2B = bad.

I was kind of hoping that if Kearns was traded, we'd get a pitcher back and then be able to shop for a first baseman and let Adam go back to the OF with Jr and WMP.

It'd be nice if Aurilia or Womack were packaged with Kearns to BOS, or StL to rid us of one of them (and free up more money). I'd take an AA reliever in return for including them (or cash).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Maybe we could do a Kearns and Weathers or Mercker, trade to BOS for Clement, Shoppach and cash. That would make a lot of sense for both teams.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I like a healthy Mota (unfortunately, it doesn't sound like he is) & Marte for Kearns better than Clement.

I would like to find a way to get Marte in a deal. If EdE doesn't work out (ala Larson) we would have a potential replacement...if EdE works out (like I expect), maybe Marte could make a transition to 2B or be nice trade bait for pitching.

As for Clement, I am not too excited about him. He is a step up from what we have, but not at the price. If the Sox ate A LOT of the salary, then maybe I would...if not, no thanks.

Wait a second...even if we trade Kearns we still "have" three outfielders right? Why do we have to move freel into the outfield when we could play Dunn-Jr.-Pena in the outfield. Isn't it easier to find a 1st basemen out there to take case's place?

--

And if it's inevitable that we're going to trade Kearns we should focus on what we're getting back rather than what we're giving up right? So what do we want for him?

Do we focus on a pitcher like clement or a high upside, less proven prospect?

Say a Clement/Kearns deal does go down. A change of scenery can't hurt Matt Clement so you've got to think he's going to be an upgrade in the rotation. Put Freel in the outfield on a semi-daily basis with Chris Denorfia spelling him once or twice a week.

Like it or not, Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack are here for the 2006 season (or the first half anyway). Given the choice of the two at secondbase I'd pick Aurilia anytime. Getting lost in all the hoopla of Dan O'Brien is the fact that Brad Kullman has been quoted as saying that he is much more quick to advance a Minor Leaguer if he sees fit. Does that mean that Encarnacion doesn't have to worry about starting the year in Louisville where he might have had to if O'Brien were still here? If he's at thirdbase and Aurilia at second, that puts Womack on the bench where he belongs until late-game pinch running situations.

So here's what you'd have to start the 2006 season (which is 68 days away according to my countdown thread ) .....

1. Ryan Freel-LF
    2. Felipe Lopez-SS
    3. Ken Griffey, Jr.-CF
    4. Adam Dunn-1B
    5. Wily Mo Pena-RF
    6. Rich Aurilia-2B
    7. Jason LaRue-C
    8. Edwin Encarnacion-3B

1. Aaron Harang
    2. Matt Clement
    3. Brandon Claussen
    4. Dave Williams
    5. Eric Milton

Could we win some more games with that rosters? If the bullpen improves, I think we can.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?