Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Re: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Despite his extremely disappointing 2005, I'm still not in favor of trading Kearns while his value is at an all time low. However, since it looks as if it's inevitable, I'd prefer to leave Dunn at first, slide Griffey to RF and start Denorfia in CF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_BlueDevil
    Do we focus on a pitcher like clement or a high upside, less proven prospect?
    If I'm the Reds I opt for the high upside, less proven prospect for a couple reasons.

1) Obviously, the prospect will make less money, thus freeing up more money to sign other players (read: Lopez, Dunn, and Harang) to long term deals, or go out and get yourself another player you might need (first baseman, relief pitcher whatever that could potentially be a bargain as the season gets closer.

2) The prospect will be under our control for a much longer time, and that's important because I don't think the team is in a position to truly compete in the next 2 years (which is about the time we'd have with a more expensive player like Clement).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Something tells me that Castellini won't smile upon tying up $18 million of this year's payroll in two pitchers whose combined ERA could hover above the 5.00 mark and whose combined OPSA could average well over .760. Add to that Griffey's $12 million and you have half the team's payroll tied up in a bunch of poor performance/bad health gambles. Ixnay, unless Boston takes on a huge salary in return.

I'd do a Kearns for Contreras, though, in a heartbeat. Contreras plus a couple of shrewd bullpen acquisitions could vault the Reds immediately into contention for the division title (don't laugh). I just don't see Clement as that kind of difference-maker.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-25-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Boss, I'd argue that Kearns' value isn't all that low if he can fetch Clement.

Count me as being 100% on board with this idea.
    Last edited by M2; 01-25-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Boss, I'd argue that Kearns' value isn't all that low if he can fetch Clement.

Count me as being 100% on board with this idea.
    That's true and I'm surprised to hear that after his 2005, he could potentially fetch Clement, who, barring any long term health concerns, would easily be our second best pitcher (at worst). Still, if we're going to trade Kearns, I'd focus on someone cheaper, for the reasons Red Leader mentioned.

Rich 7th? try 2nd
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd argue that his value's not all that low if he can fetch Clement.
    I agree. Teams, like us fans, are hynotized by Kearns' potential. He still could be a very, very good everyday player, a potential All-Star kind of upside. That's good for us. He's been given the same value as if he were still a prospect. Seems like most teams are saying "no harm, no foul" with him and treating him like he just needs a place where he can be happy and play ball without being jerked around to succeed. That may be the case, but if you're the Reds, I think you have to take advantage of the fact that some teams are willing to give you what you're looking for in return for him without the annual performance to back it up.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

A change of scenery can't hurt Matt Clement
    This would be his 4th team as he begins his 8th big-league season. Changing scenery is the norm for Clement. With an arm like that, you have to ask why. And you have to wonder why Boston -- with health concerns still bobbing re: Schilling and Beckett -- would be so eager to unload him.

I vote no.

I'm a bit leery if the Sox are offering Clement for him that they think Clement is seriously hurt.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    This would be his 4th team as he begins his 8th big-league season. Changing scenery is the norm for Clement. With an arm like that, you have to ask why. And you have to wonder why Boston -- with health concerns still bobbing re: Schilling and Beckett -- would be so eager to unload him.

I vote no.
    He bounced around early because it took him a while to put his game together. Then he became a free agent. Now he's available because the Sox have seven starting pitchers and need a CF.

It's not like Boston's been trying to pawn him off this offseason. This is a case of the Reds jumping in and seizing upon Boston's desperation. Cincinnati can make the Crisp deal happen if Boston ponies up the pitcher it wants. Pure opportunism and kudos to Kullman if he pulls it off.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'm a bit leery if the Sox are offering Clement for him that they think Clement is seriously hurt.
    That's why he'd have to pass a physical for the deal to go through. Hopefully, that physical includes an MRI of everything that would affect his pitching motion and a neurological test of everything that might have been affected by the shot he took to the noggin.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    If Boston picks up a good portion of Clement's contract, I'd do it.
    As would I.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    That's why he'd have to pass a physical for the deal to go through. Hopefully, that physical includes an MRI of everything that would affect his pitching motion and a neurological test of everything that might have been affected by the shot he took to the noggin.
    Exactly, the Reds get to look the gifthorse in the mouth, shoulder, elbow and any other place that interests them.

Can anyone post Clement's stats both before and after he got hit by that liner?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    As would I.

Me too. Although I do think Kearns can bounce back.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?