Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

Re: We turned down Matt Clement for Kearns

I think you have to make this trade right now if your the Reds. If Kearns goes out and has another real rough year I think he would lose the high value that he has somehow managed to keep ahold of. At the sametime he could explode in Boston, but thats the risk in trading him. I just think Clement would be worth that risk and I really dont think it would be that hard to get the Red Sox to pick up some of that money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Clement is an injury concern, but Kearns isn't???
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I look at it this way - if both Kearns and Clement have career years which one would help the Reds more.

The answer to that question is obviously Clement, so yeah, I'd probably do this if the peripherals can be worked out (money, physicals, etc.)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I don't trust Matt Clement at all. I feel like he's spent a few years fleecing the nation, that his good days far outweigh his bad, and that the full extent of the injuries from his beaning last year aren't yet known and he's only going to get worse. Kearns can only improve. (I'm also slightly biased because I seriously believe that Clement has the worst facial hair in all of baseball. This is a terrible thing to say, but it hurts my eyes to look at him. It's so distracting. Maybe that's why I think he's so bad; I can't watch him pitch.)

Boston seems pretty eager to get rid of him. A lot of that I think has to do with his disastrous postseason outing, and some I think due to the fact that with the problems of Schilling, Wells et al., Clement was expected to be the savior of the pitching staff and he just couldn't live up to expectations. Still...I don't trust him. I don't think that GABP would be good to him.

A month ago I would have said to do it if we could throw in Milton, but now, crazy as it sounds and I know it does, I'm not even sure I'd do that. Milton's 2005 DIPS indicates that he could have a significant improvement in 2006. Matt Clement is only going to get worse.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think the Reds would have been better off trading Kearns for Marquis, but I think this would also be a good trade for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Getting hit in the head is different.
    Go Gators!

He got hit on July 26th, so his disasterous month of July was pre-beaning. He did have a good post-beaning August, followed by a bad September.

Code:
    SPLIT  ERA  W L S SvO  G GS    IP   H  R ER HR BB SO BAA 
    Home   4.90 8 4 0   0 17 17 101.0 103 59 55  6 34 79 .263 
    Away   4.20 5 2 0   0 15 15  90.0  89 43 42 12 34 67 .256 
    April  3.90 2 0 0   0  5  5  30.0  38 14 13  1 12 24 .309 
    May    2.43 4 0 0   0  6  6  40.2  29 12 11  1 14 30 .199 
    June   3.94 3 1 0   0  5  5  32.0  29 14 14  4  6 28 .242 
    July   8.88 1 2 0   0  5  5  25.1  32 25 25  7 10 26 .299 
    Aug.   3.60 2 0 0   0  5  5  30.0  26 13 12  1 10 21 .239 
    Sept   6.00 1 3 0   0  6  6  33.0  38 24 22  4 16 17 .286
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-25-2006 at 10:18 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would take Clement for Kearns for sure. As much as Clement is in doubt I would say Austin is in the same boat. Would we then have Rich for 1B and keep Dunn in the OF ? How about going after Piazza for 1B ?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Can anyone post Clement's stats both before and after he got hit by that liner?
    Code:
    Split	ERA	IP	K/BB	BB/9	K/9	H/9	HR/9	WHIP	GB/FB
    Pre	4.43	128	2.70	2.81	7.59	9.00	0.91	1.31	1.32	
    Post	4.86	63	1.46	3.71	5.42	9.14	0.71	1.43	1.08
    pre-injury, he has an ERA about 3/4 of a run higher than it probably should have been with thos peripherals.

post-injury, he had an ERA about 1/2 of a run lower than it probably should have been.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRed
    I would take Clement for Kearns for sure. As much as Clement is in doubt I would say Austin is in the same boat. Would we then have Rich for 1B and keep Dunn in the OF ? How about going after Piazza for 1B ?
    If your goal is to make the infield defense worse (and I didn't think it would be possible) this is your answer. Piazza is not a 1B, that's why not many NL teams have interest in him. He can really only DH from here on out.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I still support trading Kearns for Clement, but if it would mean moving Dunn back to LF, Dunn, Jr, and Pena is a really scary defensive OF.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    And Kearns could just as easily blow this deal by not passing his physical.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I still support trading Kearns for Clement, but if it would mean moving Dunn back to LF, Dunn, Jr, and Pena is a really scary defensive OF.
    I think we have to move Griffey at the deadline this year and have a replacement in place by next season.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Jr would have to approve any deal, and this close to the end I kind of wonder if he would.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Jr would have to approve any deal, and this close to the end I kind of wonder if he would.
    Yeah, I think that's going to be more difficult than actually finding a trading partner and a suitable return for him.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?