Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two in Marlins' Front Office Are Candidates For Reds GM

Two in Marlins' Front Office Are Candidates For Reds GM

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...orts-headlines

The Cincinnati Reds' general manager search could take them as far south as Dolphins Stadium.

Marlins assistant general manager Michael Hill and vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings both are believed to be on the Reds' radar. New Reds owner Bob Castellini hopes to interview six to eight candidates.

Bringing in Hill, an African-American, would satisfy Major League Baseball's mandate for teams to interview minority candidates for managerial and front-office positions. The Reds' interest in him should go far beyond that as Hill was born and raised in Cincinnati, is a Harvard graduate and bilingual.

He has been the Marlins' assistant general manager since September 2002.

"I am perfectly happy where I am and look forward to rebuilding a championship with the Florida Marlins," said Hill, who as of Tuesday afternoon had not been contacted.

Jennings' Cincinnati ties aren't as strong, but he did begin his scouting career with the Reds in 1986.

He is an accomplished talent evaluator with an established reputation throughout the game.
    Dan Jennings please. I'm on record as selecting Jennings several months ago. Sounds good to me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Two in Marlins' Front Office Are Candidates For Reds GM

From the Cincinnati Enquirer on September 22, 2003:

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/09/22/wwwred1nte.html

PHILADELPHIA - The Reds may be keeping quiet about their search for a new general manager, but that hasn't slowed talk of possible candidates.

Other than Expos general manager Omar Minaya, one name heard so far is Marlins vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings.

Credited with stocking the Devil Rays' farm system as that team's director of scouting before joining the Marlins in 2002, Jennings said he has not approached the Reds or heard from them.

"I've certainly heard the rumors, but I have not been in contact with anyone from the Cincinnati Reds about the position, nor has my general manager," Jennings said.

Jennings and Minaya are two of several names that have surfaced as possible external candidates.

Others include Braves assistant general manager Frank Wren, Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky, Giants assistant GM Ned Colletti, Phillies assistant GM for player development and scouting Mike Arbuckle, Astros assistant GM Tim Purpura, A's assistant GM Paul DePodesta and Tigers assistant GM Al Avila.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Here is an interview on John Sickels' site with Dan Jennings from last March. This will give you some perspective on him:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story.../9/163055/6577

Anyway, I spent some of my Wednesday afternoon interviewing former Devil Rays Head of Scouting and current Marlins VP of Player Personnel, Dan Jennings.

Dan graduated from Southern Miss with a BS in Phys Ed and a minor in Bio Science. He played in the Yankees system before becoming an area scout with the Mariners from 1988 to 1994. In 1995, he became the Midwest crosschecket with Seattle. In August of 1995, he got a job as Scouting Director for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He would stay with them until July of 2002 when he would become VP of Player Personnel for the Florida Marlins.

Maverick: So you were the Head Scouting Director for the Devil Rays for the better portion of 7 years. You drafted such players as Josh Hamilton(99), Rocco Baldelli(00), Dewon Brazelton(01) and BJ Upton(02). Who were you guys most high on?

Dan Jennings: It's gotta be BJ Upton. A legit 5 tool prospect, he can do it all.

Mav: A follow-up to the previous question... Will Josh Hamilton get reinstated in a few weeks?... and What kind of player would he be?

DJ: Yea, I think Josh will get reinstated in the next couple of weeks. He seems like he has finally gotten his life together. It's a shame what happened to him and its sad baseball didn't get to see a special player like that. He could be Alex Rodriguez, Josh is just that special of a player.

Mav: So you are currently the Marlins VP of Player Personnel..... Did you contact the Marlins or did they contact you?

DJ: They contacted me, I interviewed for the spot and the rest is history.

Mav: Did you catch Baseball America's top 10 next GMs in baseball, column last year?....

DJ:Yea, that was something. Mike (Hill) and I took a lot of crap for that but it was certainly flattering.

Mav: Now when you were with the Devil Rays, what was the drafting philosophy?

DJ: We liked to go with the more athletic players... the old saying goes "high risk, high reward"... GMs and scouts alike get unfairly criticized for taking the athlete over the baseball player... Take for example Carl Crawford... He was one of the best athletes in the draft and he had some ability. Now look at him, he could become the next big thing.

Mav: So when you jumped ship to the Marlins, did the draft philosophy change?

DJ: You know, not really. We like getting the athletes and we have a great national crosschecker in Stan Meek, so we are fairly confident with our picks.

Mav: With Jason Vargas, did you ever consider drafting him for his bat?

DJ: The consensus was pretty much he would stay a pitcher but he can flat out rake as well.

Mav: So take me through a day in the life of Dan Jennings during Spring Training.

DJ: I usually arrive early and do some workouts so I can still look good around these youngsters. Then I chat with Trader Jack (McKeon) for a bit before visiting with GM Larry Beinfest. After that I look through the transactions to see if there is anyone for the Fish to take a look at. Then I will read reports from some coaches on the players in camp from that days workouts. And finally I will head out to the field to watch the minor leaguers workout and then take in some game action.

Mav: How do you prepare for the draft and how much consulting do you do with the scouts?

DJ: Well we have what we call a "warroom" and various scouts, along with the GM are in the room. We have a big magnetic board with every player's name on it. Of course before each pick some of the scouts have their say and I would usally have the final word in Tampa Bay unless Chuck (Lamar) had someone else in mind.... that never happened.

Mav: If someone wanted to get into scouting or the world of baseball how would you go about doing this?

DJ: Its more of the old saying, "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I knew a guy by the name of Julian Mock, who was the Scouting director of the Reds... He asked me if I wanted to help him out and that's how it began for me.

Mav: Whats the deal with Toe Nash?

DJ: Wow, haven't heard that name in a while... that was the story that just wouldn't go away. I don't really know what he is up to right now.

Mav: So did you read the book Moneyball?

DJ: Yea I certainly did. I loved it. I agreed with some and disagreed with others. Parts of it got me angry as well. I felt some parts were disrespectful to scouts everywhere.

Mav:How is Lincoln Holdzkom's injury?

DJ: Well he has had some elbow trouble but he should be ok. Hopefully this isn't a recurring injury

Mav: Where do you see the following players in 3 years: Josh Willingham, Josh Wilson and Trevor Hutchinson?

DJ: Hopefully all 3 will still be with us. Gotta think Willingham becomes our version of Brandon Inge. Getting anywhere from 350 at bats to 500 at bats a year. Josh Wilson could be a utility guy for us althought he is certainly capable of becoming a fine starting SS. Hutch should be a future set up man. He is a bulldog.

Mav: If Josh Willingham got his 400-500 at bats this year what would some of his numbers look like?

DJ: .270 batting average with around 20 homeruns

Mav: And an OBP around .400?

DJ: Of course. He loves getting on base.

Mav: If you had the first pick in the draft and all money being equal, who would you take in this years draft?

DJ: Wow.... I don't kow... I really like that hitter out in Nebraska, Alex Gordon and of course there is BJ's(Upton) brother Justin... So yea, safe to say I would be pleased if I had either of those two guys

Mav: Did the Marlins look into signing AJ Pierzynski or was it pretty much Lo Duca or bust?

DJ: You know it was really Lo Duca or bust. We really liked him and he seemed to fit in well in the clubhouse

Mav: Will the Marlins attempt to resign AJ Burnett to a 3-4 year deal during the 2005 season?

DJ: It's a "to be determined" issue. You know... we'll be speaking to his agent and seeing what AJ wants to do. We would love to have him in teal for a very long time

Mav: Gimme a pitcher and a hitter in the Marlins system who is not well known who could be a star some day
    DJ: Lets see.... A pitcher... how about Josh Johnson and as for a hitter I'll go with a hitter we took in the 3rd round in the 2004 draft, Greg Burns. He can fly and is easily one of the fastest players in baseball.

Mav: Who is a player in ST right now who could make the squad that no one would think about?

DJ: Hmmmm. Gotta go with Joe Dillon on that one. He was truly amazing last year

Mav: Kind of like a Kevin Millar type street to the big leagues

DJ: Yes, very comparable

Mav: And finally.... Is Tim Spooneybarger still the closer of the future?

DJ: We sure hope so. He has tremendous stuff we just have to make sure he stays healthy.

Here another interview with Jennings from last spring:

http://www.perfectgame.org/2005/stor...n_jennings.cfm
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-25-2006 at 08:03 AM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Boooo Dan Jennnings.

Boooooooooooooo.

Farm director yes. GM, no.

Mav: Where do you see the following players in 3 years: Josh Willingham, Josh Wilson and Trevor Hutchinson?

DJ: Hopefully all 3 will still be with us. Gotta think Willingham becomes our version of Brandon Inge. Getting anywhere from 350 at bats to 500 at bats a year. Josh Wilson could be a utility guy for us althought he is certainly capable of becoming a fine starting SS. Hutch should be a future set up man. He is a bulldog.

Mav: If Josh Willingham got his 400-500 at bats this year what would some of his numbers look like?

DJ: .270 batting average with around 20 homeruns

Mav: And an OBP around .400?

DJ: Of course. He loves getting on base.

At least he thinks Josh Willingham should play. But the guy's ceiling isn't Brandon Inge. His ceiling is perennial All Star. Maybe Mike Sweeney in his prime.

To DJ, OBP is kind of an afterthought. It should be seen as Willingham's key asset to the creation of runs.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-25-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

Wasn't Dan O a farm director when we hired him?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Wasn't Dan O a farm director when we hired him?
    yeah, but Jennings is a good one. who is we?

We= Reds

I use we..I know a lot don't like it..that's why I use it
    Go Gators!

chili beat me to it. I'd prefer to avoid anyone who's worked almost solely with minor leagues. That's what you have a farm director for. I want someone who's capable of working the trade market to our advantage. I think building a minor league system is a completely different skill set then being a major league GM. Any GM worth his salt realizes that you have to have a good farm director and you bring someone in for that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Plus Castellini's commented that he wants a GM with GM experience.

Jim Bowden anyone??? (ducks)

(commence pie-throwing exercise)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

That's the trouble..GM's with experience who are available are usually only available because they got fired
    Go Gators!

yep krono. plus, you have to start somewhere. these guys have to get their first gm job somewhere. they dont all just get out of college and become gms im not saying this is the guy we should get, but i like what ive read and he has an excellent track record

Turn Off Ads?