Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Freedom Center Founder Leads Minority Group Seeking Share of Reds Ownership

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Freedom Center Founder Leads Minority Group Seeking Share of Reds Ownership

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601250409/1078

Minorities seek Reds share
    Rigaud trying to assemble $6M consortium
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The man behind the rise of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center is trying to put together a group to buy a stake in the Reds.

Ed Rigaud, who has been working to get minorities more economically involved in the community, said the African-American group would put up more than $6 million. It would be the first time a black group has owned a piece of one of the city's best known and revered institutions.

Rigaud's group would join new Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini's ownership group, which was approved last week by Major League Baseball.

"I've been working on economic inclusion," Rigaud said, "inspiring minorities to become involved entrepreneurially in the community.

"This would be a big step."

Rigaud, a former executive at Procter & Gamble, has put up his own money to get the process started.

"This would be a great thing for the community and the Reds, if we can pull it off."

Castellini has been encouraging, Rigaud said.

"Bob and I go way, way back," Rigaud said. "We've been friends for more than 25 years. He's embraced this idea."

Rigaud is founding executive director, board co-chairman and former president of the Freedom Center. He led the project from its inception in 1995 through 2001 while working as an executive on loan from P&G.

Castellini cannot comment on the rest of his ownership group until it is approved by Major League Baseball. He said at his introductory news conference Friday that a full list of partners would be disclosed in a few weeks.

Baseball has strived for years to get minorities involved in the sport, and MLB requires that clubs interview minorities for major job openings.
    "Across the board, we've encouraged this," MLB spokesman Patrick Courtney said.

Said Rigaud: "(Minority ownership) has never happened in Cincinnati. And I'm not sure it's happened much around the country."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freedom Center Founder Leads Minority Group Seeking Share of Reds Ownership

I think that is an extraordinary idea, Bob Castellini is proving to be a real class act and he has put this dismal Reds franchise in yet another step in the right direction. Go Bobby Cast.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

I think this is a great idea as well, and if given enough play, might even help (in some small way) close the race divide in Cincinnati. Call me an idealist, but is there truly anything baseball can't do (other than teach Lady Z how to cook)?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Call me an idealist, but is there truly anything baseball can't do ?
    Change diapers
    Go Gators!

I'd love too see this happen...Also, I'd like to see organized baseball get more active in the inner cities with teaching kids, providing them with equipment etc.

If this purchase would come to pass it would do nothing but good! Perhaps execise a few old spirits left over from Marges day.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Change diapers
    Don't I know it. Look away from your daughter while changing her to watch the ninth and suddenly the living room is a mess; I will say no more.

I blame Bob Boone.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?