Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM Reporting Frank Thomas signs with the A's

XM Reporting Frank Thomas signs with the A's

XM reporting that Frank Thomas just signed a one year deal with the A's.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Spirit of 1976

Re: XM Reporting Frank Thomas signs with the A's

I'll bet the A's got a very good deal. If healthy, I'll bet that the Big Hurt still has some devastating offense left in him.

The terms are VERY favorable for the A's considering the potential gain here. It's a $500,000 gaurenteed salary with some reasonable bonuses.

Per ESPN:
    "Thomas can earn $1.4 million in roster bonuses if he is on the active major league roster or not on the DL related to a left foot injury. He would get $325,000 each on May 1 and June 15, and $375,000 apiece on July 15 and Aug. 15.

He also can earn $1.2 million in performance bonuses: $200,000 each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 and 550 plate appearances"

Now you all know why Allard Baird was the worst GM in Baseball, even worse that Dan O'Brein...The Royals are just sitting there needing someone to split time with Mike Sweeney at 1B/DH...

JaredRoberts.com

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    The terms are VERY favorable for the A's considering the potential gain here. It's a $500,000 gaurenteed salary with some reasonable bonuses.

Per ESPN:
    "Thomas can earn $1.4 million in roster bonuses if he is on the active major league roster or not on the DL related to a left foot injury. He would get $325,000 each on May 1 and June 15, and $375,000 apiece on July 15 and Aug. 15.

He also can earn $1.2 million in performance bonuses: $200,000 each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 and 550 plate appearances"
    To use a quote similiar to the one muttered by the infamous and tell-it-like-it-is Latrell Spreewell... "how can Frank feed his kids?" :

Good deal for both parties, glad to see Thomas still going
    Go Gators!

This is a low risk huge reward deal for OAK. Thomas has injury problems, which the deal mitigates, but he is still one of the best hitters in the history of the game. He had a long way he could fall and still be good. And a 100% healthy Thomas makes a bunch of noise, I bet.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If Thomas stays healthy and hits the way he can, that'll be the best-spent $3.1 million in MLB this year. Oakland could be very, very good.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Man, if I were Thomas i think I'd put a cement casing around that left foot...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Why wouldn't almost any team be in that Thomas deal?

500K is unreal low salary for a guy that hit as well as he did for a short amount of time. I wish the Reds were in for Thomas for that low a salary and pick up potential draft picks if he does perform like he is capable of.

The guy is still a performer when healthy and can play a position that offers low injury capabilities.

The bargain of the offseason, IMO. Billy Beane continues to outthink most everyone else in baseball.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Just don't see why other teams are/were dickering around with Piazza, Garciapara, Mientkiewicz, Thome, Millar, JT Snow, etc...

This guy easily outperforms all of these guys save possibly Piazza and Thome and the rest he is no more injury prone than some on the list at a fraction of the prices of the guys aforementioned.

Beane is good for a reason. This is a no-brainer at that $$$.

I think it's a good deal for the A's. If healthy Frank can still hit, although he is prtty much a DH now so I can see why no one in the NL took a chance on him.
    School's out. What did you expect?

For a Level Playing Field

Credit to Beane. But perhaps too much credit? Maybe Frank wanted to play in ANA-of-LA and ythought his chances for another ring were best. Maybe Frank did not care to play elsewhere. I do not know of course, but on the flipside maybe Beane should not get all the credit for this signing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Credit to Beane. But perhaps too much credit? Maybe Frank wanted to play in ANA-of-LA and ythought his chances for another ring were best. Maybe Frank did not care to play elsewhere. I do not know of course, but on the flipside maybe Beane should not get all the credit for this signing.
    Yanks
    Blue Jays
    Orioles
    Twins
    Angels

All the above are AL teams with playoff hopes (except Baltimore) who could have used him, but Frank Thomas couldn't get more than a paltry half mil guaranteed? Just last season the Angels shelled out millions for old (Finley) or useless (Cabrera) players, but can't reach back for just over a half million for a future Hall of Famer and one of the best hitters of the 90s who can still rake ...

Minnesota supposedly wanted him badly, but if Frank accepted a deal with only a guaranteed half mil then the Twins must not have wanted him that badly. Heck, I've already heard some Red Sox fans griping about how they wish they could have thrown Ortiz at first and have Frank DH for that small amount of cash.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?