Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Denorfia

Chris Denorfia

I want to know if this kid is ready for The Show. Seems like he accelerated through the farm system with no problem last year. Denorfia's season saw him make the leap from Double-A to Triple-A to the big leagues. He hit .317 with 20 homers and 87 RBIs and 12 stolen bases in the Minors. He was promoted to the Reds on Sept. 6 and made seven starts (four games in center field, two in right field and one in left field).

With Denorfia's 2005 season, will that make it easier for the front office to possibly trade Kearns?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Denorfia

If they traded Kearns, I wouldn't mind seeing them shift Junior to a corner, and give Denorfia a look as the everyday CF.

I think Boss brought it up in another thread and it makes good sense to me.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I don't think they should trade Kearns at this time. Keep Denorfia as 4th OF and see what happens this year with Kearns/Griff/Mo.

If a spot does open up I'm all for playing Deno, he won't dazzle but I think he'd be solid.
    Go Gators!

My hope would be that we break camp with Deno as 4th OF and Stratton in AAA. I hope both and our current OFers perform well enough that we make a deal that nets us a lot of pitching, Deno can now start in CF and Stratton can be your bat off the bench.

I saw Denorfia a few times at AA last year, and he is really, really competent on a baseball field. Good plate coverage, good eye, runs the bases well, knows his way around the outfield.

He has also worked really hard this off-season, reportedly. I think he is a very good candidate to make an impact on the team, and real soon.

I think the team will be all right if they trade an outfielder and give him a spot. I don't think he'll hurt the team, and he may surprise people.

Denorfia's quick rise noticed
    Is Reds minor-leaguer of year after jump from Double-A to bigs
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    Anyone who goes from Double-A to the big leagues in one season has a pretty good chance of being named the minor-league player of the year in any organization.

Chris Denorfia, who pulled off the Chattanooga-to-the-majors rise, received the Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award as Reds minor-league player of the year Wednesday night at the La Salle Sports Stag.

"He has that quality where he's always going to play hard and get the most out of his ability," said Tim Naehring, the Reds' director of player development. "He plays with great intensity. He had a great year."

Denorfia, 25, started the season at Chattanooga and earned a midseason promotion to Triple-A Louisville. His combined minor-league numbers - .317, 20 home runs, 87 RBI and 12 stolen bases - earned him a September call-up with the Reds.

Denorfia, a 19th-round pick in 2002, became the first player selected by the Reds that year to make the big leagues.

Denorfia played in the prestigious Arizona Fall League after the season.

He made the All-Star team after hitting .333 with three homers, 24 RBI and three steals in 23 appearances for Mesa.

Denorfia goes into spring training as a strong candidate for one of the Reds' extra outfielder spots.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

He may struggle as the league figures him out, but I see no reason to leave him at AAA with his age and skills. He may find himself there anyway come Opening Day, however, given that he's got plenty of options.

As others have said, I would feel okay with Deno as one of our staring OFers this year. However if we were to trade Kearns or Pena, don't you think Freel would slide in and be one of our starting outfielders.

And I just don't see Jr. moving to the COF.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    As others have said, I would feel okay with Deno as one of our staring OFers this year. However if we were to trade Kearns or Pena, don't you think Freel would slide in and be one of our starting outfielders.
    And start Womack or Aurilia? UGH!

Of course, they will be starters anyway, but a dream lineup has Freel at 2b leading off.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    And start Womack or Aurilia? UGH!

Of course, they will be starters anyway, but a dream lineup has Freel at 2b leading off.
    I agree with that, but I think Womack or RA will be our starting 2B this year.

I can only pray EE starts at 3rd.

If we can't get what we want for Kearns now, Denorfia needs to be in a place where he can still get regular at bats and playing time. I don't want him to rot on the bench in Cincy.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I posted briefy on Marc's blog the other day, but I was looking at Denorfia's age & skill set and he strikes me very much as Brady Clark redux. A guy who's not supremely talented (maybe 'gifted' is the better word), but is well rounded, works hard, and could be a real contributor if given the opportunity.

You don't want to have to count on him at this point, but if we do trade an OF, I think we could do a lot worse than giving him an opportunity to get consistent at bats at the major league level. The line he put was very similar to Clarks first stint as our #4 guy in 2001, only Chris is 2 years younger than Clark was.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-26-2006 at 12:14 PM.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Denorfia reminds me a lot of another guy who came up through the Reds system...Brady Clark. Same kind of fire and work ethic...not spectacular but they just go out there and do it every day. Constantly improving too, so you never know how high they can go when given the chance. I don't think he'd rot as a 4th outfielder, he's the type that'll be ready to play at any time and will capitalize on any time he does get. Sure, he'd benefit from regular reps, but he'll be better than anyone but Griffey off the bench. Griffey is the exception to all the rules...that guy can hit when he falls out of bed, hell he can probably hit BEFORE he wakes up. That's another story... Keep Denorfia as our 4th OF and let him grow, it's nice to have a hard worker pushing the 'gifted' guys.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?