Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are we undervaluing Freel?

Are we undervaluing Freel?

I think most of us would probably be willing to trade freel for pitching help -- I also think that most of us agree that freel wouldn't get that much in return, so why not keep him.

But are we wrong?

On the sonsofsamhorn.com messageboard several of their posters have suggested the bosox forget about giving up the farm for Crisp and go for Freel instead. One poster even suggested a Manny DelCarmen + Abe Alverez for Freel swap.

Isn't a trade like this a no brainer? To get two, pretty highly touted live arms for freel don't you do that deal every day of the week and twice on sundays?

Is freel the peice we should move instead of Kearns?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are we undervaluing Freel?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_BlueDevil
    I think most of us would probably be willing to trade freel for pitching help -- I also think that most of us agree that freel wouldn't get that much in return, so why not keep him.

But are we wrong?

On the sonsofsamhorn.com messageboard several of their posters have suggested the bosox forget about giving up the farm for Crisp and go for Freel instead. One poster even suggested a Manny DelCarmen + Abe Alverez for Freel swap.

Isn't a trade like this a no brainer? To get two, pretty highly touted live arms for freel don't you do that deal every day of the week and twice on sundays?

If you can get DelCarmen and Alverez for Freel, you make the deal yesterday.

I know that many see Freel as a starter. But Freel is one of those players that are a dime a dozen. They are older players who get lost in the minor leagues because they get passed over by flasher, higher draft picks. These guys get noticed because they learn to hustle a little harder and player a little smarter, and sometimes they learn multiple positions to increase their value as utility players. It seems every year, a dozen of these guys get invited to various spiring trainings and have good springs and make the team as a 25th player on the roster. And ESPN will run some sappy sob story about how the guy endured long bus rides, greasy food, and clawed his way to the major leagues at age 29 or 30.

Too bad Theo isn't willing to make this trade.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Players who get on base 37% of the time with Freel's speed aren't a dime a dozen, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Players who get on base 37% of the time with Freel's speed aren't a dime a dozen, IMO.

Not to mention the multiple positions he can play.

He's a super sub on any team.

The big question is can he stay healthy all year as hard as he plays.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

But Freel is one of those players that are a dime a dozen.
    Strongly disagree. High OBP, very good base stealer, can play 2B-3B-all OF positions (CF, most importantly).

He should be able to fetch decent pitching of one kind or another.

Forget Alvarez. Delcarmen's a live arm, but raw. I'd ask for another prospect alongside him.

Boss beat me too it but, Freel is not a dime a dozen. He is a great utility man, with a decent bat and great speed. Usually a teams utility man is good in 1 or 2 of those areas, like Castro. I don't think that Freel would be a good everyday player for the reasons that he is a little too streaky, and he does hustle his butt off everytime he is out there, and that can a) wear him down throughout the course of a season, and b) cause injury's like last year. However for what he is getting paid by the Reds he is a steal for them.

Now with all of that said would I make the trade that was proposed for him? Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

let's see freel put together another decent year and stay out of jail for DUI. if you could get decent pitching prospects for him then i would trade him in a heart beat.

Freel is the only leadoff hitter we have.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red_BlueDevil

But are we wrong?

Abe Alvarez is hardly what I would call a "live arm", although his fastball might hit 85 someday if he keeps working on it. He's a prototypical "crafty lefty", fly ball pitcher with good command and a great change up, for a 22 year old in AAA. Delcarmen's a nice relief prospect, though.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    And Ryan is Cincy's best defensive CF (which isn't saying much) Sure, he's a spastic weasel who can take some godawful routes to the ball at times, but he's got the motor and he's fearless

Which makes me think you should keep Freel and Pena seperated in the OF...that's a trainwreck just waiting to happen, and it could be the end of Freel's career (life?) if he and WMP collide. Leave Junior in CF, let Freel and Pena run down the gappers and Griffey back up in case they smack into the wall
    Never overlook the obvious

I proposed Freel and Medlock for Clement a while back. Seems a perfect fit to me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What about Womack?

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    What about Womack?
    Can't steal 1st
    Go Gators!

Did you guys know that the Red Sox actually had Womack in spring training in 2004, Nomar got hurt, and they still gave him to the Cards rather than keep him at the end of spring training? Here are the 3 middle infielders who made that team over Womack that season: Pokey Reese, Mark Bellhorn, and Cesar Crespo. Yes, you can see how Tony Womack wouldn't manage to make the 2004 Red Sox team over Pokey's glove and Bellhorn's OBP, but to fail to beat out Cesar Crespo is just remarkable.

Turn Off Ads?