Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds trade Kearns, would you pony up some cash for Sammy?

If the Reds trade Kearns, would you pony up some cash for Sammy?

So if the Reds trade Kearns, what about putting up an incentive laden contract to put Sammy Sosa in the Reds' RF?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: If the Reds trade Kearns, would you pony up some cash for Sammy?

Unenhanced, cork-free Sammy is likely to provide smaller numbers at the plate than Ryan Freel, let alone Kearns or Pena.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

No.

No way, poor fielder, big ego on a severe downturn.

Pass.

I am just guessing, but I think a return to the NL, in a park he loves to play in (GAB) would do him some good.

To me Ryan Freel is just not an everyday MLB player. And defensively he is bad where ever you put him. In the OF, he had some speed, but he has no arm....so playing him RF is a loser.

So, as soon as JR goes down or Kearns is traded, the candidates are Womack (yuch!), Freel (not everyday plase), Denorfia (could be or no....just up from AA) or who else?

I think Sammy, even at .250/24/85 is better than any of those alternatives. And from what ESPN is saying, he could be had on the cheap.

Besides, wouldn't you pay to see WMP play with Sammy?

WMP, Sammy and Griffey in the middle might be the ugliest fielding outfield the human mind could conjure up.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    I am just guessing, but I think a return to the NL, in a park he loves to play in (GAB) would do him some good.

To me Ryan Freel is just not an everyday MLB player. And defensively he is bad where ever you put him. In the OF, he had some speed, but he has no arm....so playing him RF is a loser.

So, as soon as JR goes down or Kearns is traded, the candidates are Womack (yuch!), Freel (not everyday plase), Denorfia (could be or no....just up from AA) or who else?

I think Sammy, even at .250/24/85 is better than any of those alternatives. And from what ESPN is saying, he could be had on the cheap.

In fact I'd pay to NOT see both those guys on the same team.

Sammy's done. Stick a fork in him. BTW- Washington is in the NL.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with Sammy Sosa.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    WMP, Sammy and Griffey in the middle might be the ugliest fielding outfield the human mind could conjure up.
    I agree WOY......but if JR gets hurt and/or they trade Kearns, I am not sure alternatives would be any less painful.

Can you imagine WMP, JR and Tony Womack? Ouch and double-ouch.

Anyway you look at it, these Reds are not built for defense.

And if JR has some minor injuries, where they decide he has to play 1B, then you have Dunn, WMP and ? out there every day.

I would rather make an OF of Dunn, Griffey and Pena and snag Durazo or Piazza to play 1B (would have gotten Thomas if the A's didn't).

Even Juan Gon... he had one expensive at bat last year but he can still play. Health is just the concern. I'd definately trade some offensive talent and pony up some mediocre pitching in exhange for an ace if possible. Why not??? If these old stars but gambles play well then that's great.... we can use them if we are in the race or else flip them for prospects. If they stink it up or get hurt ohh well..... didn't cost much and we still have guys like Donoforia and such and if worst comes to worst then try again next year.
    Last edited by redsandrails; 01-26-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If I had to choose between Sammy Sosa or Chris Denorfia -- at equal price -- I take Deno.

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    I would rather make an OF of Dunn, Griffey and Pena and snag Durazo or Piazza to play 1B (would have gotten Thomas if the A's didn't).

I highly doubt that Piazza is ever going to play much at 1B. he was truly awful there when the Mets tried it a couple of years ago. As bad as anyone I've ever seen play the position.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Gawd No!!!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

If Sosa did rebound and go back to 50 HR form(BIG IF). Could you imagine a more deadlier lineup

2B-Freel
    SS-Lopez
    CF-Griffey
    RF-Sosa
    1B-Dunn
    LF-Pena
    3B-Encarnacion
    C-LaRue/Valentin

At least that would be mine if I were manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    So if the Reds trade Kearns, what about putting up an incentive laden contract to put Sammy Sosa in the Reds' RF?
    Are you in los angeles? or la la land? sorry couldn't resist. A contract of 500,000 plus incentives I would give. What an atrocious OF though. We would have to play 4 OF'ers at one time and put rich (amazing range ) and felipe in the IF.

Turn Off Ads?