Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am so PUMPED for the World Baseball Classic!!!

I am so PUMPED for the World Baseball Classic!!!

Nope.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I am so PUMPED for the World Baseball Classic!!!

You better believe they are in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Cuba and many other countries involved.

It's about showcasing baseball to the world.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I like the fact that we'll have "real" games to watch earlier than usual. They should all be fairly well covered,so it will feed the baseball fix we need during march. Other than that I'm not all that geeked about it.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Clemson

i'll be attending the US v Canada game with my college team as we have an off-day during our Arizona spring training trip

I think it's pretty cool. Beats not having any baseball to watch. And besides, I think there's going to be some good ball being played.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

how was the roster selected anyway? How does freakin' Francoeur get an invite and not Adam Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    how was the roster selected anyway? How does freakin' Francoeur get an invite and not Adam Dunn?

Adam opted out to work on his defense at first base.

Buck Martinez said he'd love to have him, but he understood.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    Adam Dunn chose not to play because he wants to stay in camp with the Reds due to the fact that he is going to be learning a new postion.

As far as wanting to see it, as long as the Reds representatives stay healthy I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Now if Griffey goes down to an injury wearing any other jersey than a Cincinnati Reds jersey.....somebody's gonna pay......
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'll be in Orlando to see Venezuela-Italy and Venezuela-Australia.
    Couldn't get tix for Venezuela-RepDom
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Adam Dunn chose not to play because he wants to stay in camp with the Reds due to the fact that he is going to be learning a new postion.

As far as wanting to see it, as long as the Reds representatives stay healthy I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Now if Griffey goes down to an injury wearing any other jersey than a Cincinnati Reds jersey.....somebody's gonna pay......
    Yeah, I really hope Griffey DH's (assuming they have a DH). I don't want to see him playing any more games in the OF than he must.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I don't know why everyone is so dismissive of this. I think it will be great - and you can bet it will be HUGE overseas.

It might not be that great this year, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Especially given that 80% of MLB teams have virtually no chance of reaching the post season, I think giving us something else to root for every few years is a good idea.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I think MLB's ulterior motive with this is to convince the IOC to not drop baseball permanently from the Olympics after 2012. They're hoping this event will demonstrate that nations other than the US can field competitive teams and to broaden the sport's international appeal.

Still doesn't make me want to watch, but it makes me less dismissive of the effort.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I think MLB's ulterior motive with this is to convince the IOC to not drop baseball permanently from the Olympics after 2012. They're hoping this event will demonstrate that nations other than the US can field competitive teams and to broaden the sport's international appeal.

Still doesn't make me want to watch, but it makes me less dismissive of the effort.
    If Major League Baseball was truly concerned about baseball remaining an official Olympic sport, they'd follow the NHL's lead and break the season off for 2 or 3 weeks during the summer in order to allow professionals to play for their home nations.

But, that'd mean giving up about 18 dates in the season ever 4 years, or starting the season early/late to compensate as well as (I'd imagine) hammering out some sort of additional agreement with the Player's Association over adjustments to the calendar. None of those options are particularly high on Bud Selig's "To Do" list.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I like this better than olympics because they are using wood bats (aren't they?)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

MLB has recognized the fact that there are billions of people (i.e. consumers) outside the US. There's a huge potential out there if only a fraction becomes interested.

The biggest sporting event in the World is not the Super Bowl, the Olympics and certainly not the World Series. It's the FIFA World Cup, so its no coincidence that this contest has a similar format.

It's not about national pride or advancing the sport...it's about MONEY.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?