Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Narron Informs Dayton That Taking First Strikes and 75-Pitch Limits are History

Re: Narron Informs Dayton That Taking First Strikes and 75-Pitch Limits are History

I for one am glad that Taylor isn't in consideration for the GM job. The total silence about him speaks volumes. But is he still employed by the Reds? Anybody? Anybody?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron Informs Dayton That Taking First Strikes and 75-Pitch Limits are History

But is he still employed by the Reds? Anybody? Anybody?
    Sure he is, he was at the Press Conference and will probably stay all year, he's mostly on the scouting side of things.

But he is a Dan O guy, they both went to OU around the same time and have known each other forever, he's gonna be out of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Sure he is, he was at the Press Conference and will probably stay all year, he's mostly on the scouting side of things.

But he is a Dan O guy, they both went to OU around the same time and have known each other forever, he's gonna be out of the loop.
    My guess is he gets his walking papers within a few weeks of the hiring of a new GM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My guess is he gets his walking papers within a few weeks of the hiring of a new GM.

That's what I think too.

Clean house of all DanO relics.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

He'll get that..but in a nice way..

"reassigned"

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I was always kind of suspicious that Narron might have been actively undercutting Miley. Seeing him take this apparent retrograde action on his relationship with O'Brien begins to paint him as something of a questionable character in my mind. This is all subjective "non-insider" speculation on my part though. Just setting off some warning signals that I have developed from dealing with people that I have worked with.
    I don't knwo, ochre. I think you can stil be upstanding and respectful to someone you used to work for, but still have held some marked differences in philosophies. To me the important thing would be for Narron to do what he thinks is right now. Heck, maybe he was on the fence about the ideas before, or perhaps even a little reluctant, but now, after seeing the affects, became firmly convinced of their folly. Or maybe he just didn;t want to rock the boat his first year and now is ready to exert his thoughts more forcefully. Either way, I would just want him to do what he thought was right at this time.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I don't know whether or not Narron was in DanO's corner or not. After all, DanO brought him in here and was one of the multitudes DanO thanked at his opening press conference. It seems their philosophies are similar but Narron is more his own man than Miley was.

The announcement that these two pet projects of DanO was made in Dayton. I'm not suggesting that they aren't going to put the kibosh on those things but this was a good PR move because Dayton fans seem to have had the toughest time accepting these things. I'm guessing Narron was scheduled to be there anyway and when Bob decided to can DanO, Kullman gave Narron the go-ahead to announce at his speaking engagement in Dayton that they weren't going to do the tandem starter and take a first strike things.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

got alil captain in u?

thank gosh that stupid pitch limit is off

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Wasn't there some chatter that Taylor had spent the bulk of his time with the Reds rubbing people the wrong way?

Aside from that, his work as Milwaukee's GM and as a primary assistant to DanO leave a lot to be desired. Maybe he still has some scouting skills, but I wouldn't put him in charge of the water cooler let alone the team.
    ABSOLUTELY!!! He has not made any friends I can tell you that with great certainty. He rode John Schuerholz's coat tails to the Milwaukee post. Not it's time for him to go hide. Dean is a sure bet to turn your farm system into a mess. Get him outta there. I wouldn't wait until a new GM is hired. The sooner he goes the better. As one Reds consultant told me Monday, "Dean is the other shoe to drop".
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Now, if they would just outlaw this pitch to contact crap......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'm thrilled to see two of DanO's stupidest ideas bite the dust..

Ring out the old, bring in the new
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I don't knwo, ochre. I think you can stil be upstanding and respectful to someone you used to work for, but still have held some marked differences in philosophies. To me the important thing would be for Narron to do what he thinks is right now. Heck, maybe he was on the fence about the ideas before, or perhaps even a little reluctant, but now, after seeing the affects, became firmly convinced of their folly. Or maybe he just didn;t want to rock the boat his first year and now is ready to exert his thoughts more forcefully. Either way, I would just want him to do what he thought was right at this time.
    Oh, I'm not convicting him. I'm just observing what I see as a potential pattern of behavior. Like I said, I have no inside knowlege, just gut feeling .

Two examples of ideas that, on the surface, looked good to O'Brien but were indiscriminately implemented.

Instead of simply telling hitters to take strike one, why not actually isolate the folks with pitch recognition deficiencies and focus on working with them? Not 'take-a-strike', but work with them to help them figure out what they should be swinging at. Never could figure that one out.

And the pitch count limitation is a good idea if applied in the context of pitch counts per Inning rather than total per game. For example, if a Homer Bailey finishes his first three Innings while thowing an average of 17-20 pitches per Inning, then yeah- shut him down after 75 because his workload has been more intensive than if he were throwing 14-16 pitches per Inning. If he's at the lower level of P/IP, then let him stretch it out while carefully watching him. Seems to me that would have been a better way to protect young arms while also allowing for the opportunity to build stamina.

But instead of implementing reasonable development tools, O'Brien decided to build a house of ideas gone wrong. Good to see that the Reds are rectifying the errors, but I sure as heck hope they'll begin to implement necessary reasonable developmental strategies in place of those bad ideas.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Talk like this makes me think that the GM's already in place-- or at least that Narron thinks so

me, I'd wait before I acted like I was mouthpiece. I'm still hoping more garbage gets dumped.

Narron is probably just trying to go into "blame Dan O" mode so he looks like a team player to the next GM
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?