Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marlins Manager Girardi Nixes Facial Hair

Re: Marlins Manager Girardi Nixes Facial Hair

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Exactly, they're trying to ban facial hair on guys that are too young to have pubic hair.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the first mention of "pubic hair" in Redszone history.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not going to search for it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Reds Manager Gus Schmelz only MLB Manager to ever have a beard.

Here's his record. Lotta good that beard did...

1887 Amer Assoc Cincnnti 36 136 81 54 .600 2
    1888 Amer Assoc Cincnnti 37 137 80 54 .597 4
    1889 Amer Assoc Cincnnti 38 141 76 63 .547 4
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

i could care less, last time i checked i was watching the reds to see if they'd win, not lookin to see who looked better

I don't care about the facial hair, tattoo's, earrings, etc...but what I can't deal with is when someone looks completely sloppy and even seems to be a disgrace to the uni. Manny Ramirez comes to mind as does little Manny(Ron Belliard). Speaking of Indians(well former Indians)Coco Crisp is one of my least favorite players because of the way he wears his hat all crooked....last time I checked centerfield at the Jake isn't exactly the ghetto. The only guys that should be allowed to make that crooked hat fashion statement are weirdo lefty pitchers. go get em' Dontrelle!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    I don't care about the facial hair, tattoo's, earrings, etc...but what I can't deal with is when someone looks completely sloppy and even seems to be a disgrace to the uni. Manny Ramirez comes to mind as does little Manny(Ron Belliard). Speaking of Indians(well former Indians)Coco Crisp is one of my least favorite players because of the way he wears his hat all crooked....last time I checked centerfield at the Jake isn't exactly the ghetto. The only guys that should be allowed to make that crooked hat fashion statement are weirdo lefty pitchers. go get em' Dontrelle!
    Next will you share with us your opinion on Adam Dunn's uniform pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Next will you share with us your opinion on Adam Dunn's uniform pants?
    I know you're not asking me, but I'll tell you anyway

I'd love to see them tighter. :
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That was only instituted in 1967, until then teh Reds were just like every other team, a bunch of crewcuts and a budweiser.

The Players HATED the rule and a good portion of them showed up with facial hair and shaved it off the first day in the clubhouse. How bad did the Reds enforce it? When St X. pitcher Chris Welsh was invited to come down to Riverfront and toss off the mound he was required to shave off the same cheesy stach he sports today.

Living in the 70's everyone had flowing locks, except Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes and the Reds.
    I don't even mean even the actual length that it was in play for the Reds. I just think it hearkens back, overall, to a simpler, better time period and I thought that it was a good remembrance of that era.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Like Chili said, if it's an ownership-driven marketing decision or even personal preference of the guy signing the checks, then fine. Your team, your rules. But for a new manager to do it, implying he believes there's a link between facial hair and performance? It would make me wonder about the guy's ability to think.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Sounds to me like it's just a move to show who's boss.

A lot of managers think dress codes and uniform regulations instill discipline.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

A lot of managers think dress codes and uniform regulations instill discipline.
    If he can pull it off, more power to him. But I think Joe might have miscalculated the timing of this whole thing. Granted, you might know more about what's going on inside the Marlins. But I was assuming that there's be a hefty malaise settling over the clubhouse after the firesale.

The returning players might see this as pouring salt on their wounds, rather than a good way to turn things around.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Next he'll take away their recliners and force everyone to take a strike.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Next he'll take away their recliners and force everyone to take a strike.

Now you're talkin' crazy talk.

Nobody would do that.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Makes you wonder if Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera will show up looking like refugees from a Samuel Z. Arkoff production.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

These guys are professional sportsmen. Like any other profession your employer will have certain rules and regulations. The players don't just play baseball they represent the organisation. Some professional teams have official dress codes for travelling etc. Facial hair is one element of presentation. If you don't like it walk away from your contract.

Turn Off Ads?