Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marlins Manager Girardi Nixes Facial Hair

Re: Marlins Manager Girardi Nixes Facial Hair

I guess I won't be able to play, darn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    These guys are professional sportsmen. Like any other profession your employer will have certain rules and regulations. The players don't just play baseball they represent the organisation. Some professional teams have official dress codes for travelling etc. Facial hair is one element of presentation. If you don't like it walk away from your contract.
    Are there any companies left that don't allow facial hair?

If so, that's a for-crap operation.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

There are some organisations that I know of that also don't allow earrings (for both men and women) and also certain kinds of jewellry.

I'm just saying that as an organisation the Marlins aren't just about performance on the field its also about "representing" the organisation. In some circumstances it may even go so far as representing the city.

With the rumors of how terrible certain players acted on that team, it's probably just a small signal from Joe of what is to come. The rumors of Miguel Cabrera's actions were pretty strong.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

There are some organisations that I know of that also don't allow earrings (for both men and women) and also certain kinds of jewellry.
    And good luck getting talented women who'd put up with that little bit of nonsense.

I'm just saying that as an organisation the Marlins aren't just about performance on the field its also about "representing" the organisation. In some circumstances it may even go so far as representing the city.
    And are there any cities that ban facial hair?

I just love the insistence that corporate CEOs can wear beards, but for some reason a baseball player can't represent his organization properly if he's stachin'.

I'd love to see a player put this to the test. For instance, say Miggy Cabrera wanted out of town. Why not grow some hair and file to be released from his contract if the Marlins take any action against him? I'm sure he'd be willing to see if he could find any takers on the open market if he and the Marlins can't agree on grooming.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd love to see a player put this to the test. For instance, say Miggy Cabrera wanted out of town. Why not grow some hair and file to be released from his contract if the Marlins take any action against him? I'm sure he'd be willing to see if he could find any takers on the open market if he and the Marlins can't agree on grooming.
    The player would be trashed up and down. I'm not saying I agree with the rule, but the majority of fans would just attack him as another spoiled athlete.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

And are there any cities that ban facial hair?

If I'm not mistaken, many police and fire departments forbid beards.

Disney first allowed mustaches in 2000.

Anyone know Proctor/Gamble's policy? They're pretty conservative, I know.

My biggest problem with this policy is that it's not coming from Disney. It's not coming from P&G. It's coming from a rookie manager of a joke franchise.

I can see both sides to this, and respect 62's earlier point about Girardi wanting to show who's boss right off the bat. But I'm sure there are better ways to do this, which wouldn't make the papers, nor reduce team morale when morale is already decimated from the firesale.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Way to go Girardi. Most of us -- even those not in the entertainment business adhere to dress code. Not having your team look like hairy deshevled monkeys is certainly a reasonable request. I hope Castellini has the courage to request the same. Wait, we used to do that too right? Back when we were winners? Please -- save the facial hair doesn't = good pitcing comments. Rules and discipline are good -- fat players who think playing for the reds is cool cuz there is no pressure is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    The player would be trashed up and down. I'm not saying I agree with the rule, but the majority of fans would just attack him as another spoiled athlete.
    Let's be honest, the Marlins barely have fans and fans in 29 other cities mostly would be screaming to snag the kid.

I'm all for players and teams using the leverage they have to get what they want. Miguel Cabrera probably doesn't want to spend the next three or four years carrying his teammates in a Baseball Bjorn. If Joe Girardi's hair fetish opens a door for him to get out of town, why not rush through?

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg75
    Not having your team look like hairy deshevled monkeys is certainly a reasonable request.
    I may have the opportunity to sit down with Larry Ellison in the near future, I'll make sure to let him know that he's really just a disheveled monkey when you get right down to it.

chili, some of the best facial hair arrangements I've seen have been on big city PDs and FDs. I'm sure there are plenty with such regulations, but facial hair is a time-honored tradition in a lot of big city departments. I don't think any department in our neck of the woods has those kinds of regs.

I may have the opportunity to sit down with Larry Ellison in the near future, I'll make sure to let him know that he's really just a disheveled monkey when you get right down to it.

It's a policy and a philosophy I disagree with. It's a misguided attempt to earn respect by enforcing meaningless rules. You want to earn respect? Show me that you care more about winning than you do about my shaving habits.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd like to see a shaving policy enforced here on Redszone. Men can do anything we want. Women MUST shave their legs at least every other day.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    If I'm not mistaken, many police and fire departments forbid beards.

Disney first allowed mustaches in 2000.

Anyone know Proctor/Gamble's policy? They're pretty conservative, I know.
    Regarding police and firemen, I would assume the policy has to do with safety.

Regarding Procter and Gamble, both beards and long hair are allowed, from the execs on down. I remember meeting with one guy (a suit) who's hair was down to his waist, but it was tastefully pulled back and you wouldn't even have known it if he didn't turn around.

Granted I've never seen a guy with a ragged, mountain man beard or wild, dirty, unkempt long hair at P&G; all have been well groomed.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The bottom line for me is this -- I've never heard a convincing argument for why having facial hair is a character flaw, discipline problem or on-field performance detractor. I mean, really. Does anyone seriously believe that if the Big Red Machine guys hadn't used the razors come spring training, they'd have played the game any differently?

Image thing, sure. Personal preference, OK. Character issue or discipline problem, no.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?