Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Considering Spring Training Site in AZ?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Reds Considering Spring Training Site in AZ?

jmcclain19 will enjoy this rumor...

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...aseball27.html

Goodyear pursuing spring training stadium
    Christine L. Romero
    The Arizona Republic
    Jan. 27, 2006 12:00 AM Goodyear is stepping up to the plate again in the hopes of housing a two-team Major League Baseball facility.

Officials are asking landowners to collaborate on the project that would tap Goodyear into Arizona's robust tourism dollars stemming from spring training.

The Cactus League's spring training is big business in Arizona. More than a million fans pour an estimated $250 million annually into the state's economy.

Goodyear officials envision a 10,000-seat stadium on about 120 acres. That could cost upward of $50 million to $60 million, experts indicate. They figure the project could require at least 200 total acres to accommodate a facility and the development that would grow nearby.

Other cities, such as Peoria, have restaurants and theaters near their complexes.

City economic development staff sent letters out specifically to owners of large swaths of Goodyear land. They have until today to respond. The city had one official response Thursday afternoon.

"We are working on this very diligently," Goodyear Mayor Jim Cavanaugh said. "One issue is where would it be and how do we make that land affordable? But we need to make a decision soon."

Goodyear, nestled in the southwest Valley with about 42,000 residents, still has large areas of land available and is less than 20 percent built out.

But development continues rolling along, and large parcels are starting to get locked up as the price for land soars.

At build out, Goodyear is expected to have about 360,000 people. By contrast, Scottsdale is now home to about 220,000.

"Our interest is in developing a recreation campus that can be part of a bigger vision," Goodyear City Manager Stephen Cleveland said. "We can locate other developments with it and have a successful project. It can help stimulate other development."

The Arizona Baseball and Softball Commission previously asked Valley municipalities if anyone was interested in Cactus League expansion. Goodyear answered the call, along with several others, including Avondale, Buckeye, Casa Grande and Queen Creek.

This isn't the first time Goodyear has had big-league dreams.

The idea of moving the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to Goodyear from Tempe never left the talking stage a couple of years ago.

But Goodyear voters liked the idea of big-league baseball, and the city still holds $10 million in bonding capacity to help support a spring training and recreation facility.

Rules make it difficult to lure a team from within the Cactus League, forcing Arizona cities to look to teams that now train in Florida.

It takes more than dreams and desires to get Major League teams to move to Arizona.

Some Grapefruit League teams' names keep coming up when the subject of relocation arises, including the Cleveland Indians and Baltimore Orioles, both of which trained in Arizona earlier.

Some also have pointed to the Cincinnati Reds as a team possibly looking for a new spring training facility.

"It's no secret that the Indians and Orioles here are looking for new spring training deals," said David Cardwell, executive director of the Florida Grapefruit League Association.

The Grapefruit League Association is working to find the Indians a new Florida location because the team's current complex is small and aging. The Indians' host city also has indicated that it would like to see condominiums and boutiques there.

"Cleveland is going year to year right now," said J.P. de la Montaigne, president of the Cactus League Association. "They have definitely made an impression they are looking to find a home."

The Orioles are facing funding issues but say they are happy in Sarasota, Fla., Cardwell said.

Goodyear's bid for a two-team spring training facility falls in line with the trend. The Valley's two newest stadiums in Peoria and Surprise were both created for two teams.

That arrangement means the stadium gets the maximum use during spring training with a game nearly every day. That translates into more tourism spending during the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Considering Spring Training Site in AZ?

I'm moving there in the summer/fall. Man o man I would love that!

Boo on that.

Only West teams should be in Arizona
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    I'm moving there in the summer/fall. Man o man I would love that!
    It's going to be weird referring to you as "Az Reds Fans".

As for the move, I don't go to Spring Training, so it wouldn't affect me personally. One benefit I could see would be more spring games against teams we haven't traditionally seen much of, such as the AL West teams. Still, it's strange to think about the Reds being in Arizona.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

It's going to be weird referring to you as "Az Reds Fans".
    Sorry Macro, We've already got one of those...

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Boo on that.

Only West teams should be in Arizona
    I'd love it, BTW Krono the Cubs trained on Catilina Island for years, so a precedent has been set.

I wonder how Griffey would feel about this. He has stated that he would likely turn down a trade if it meant him going to a team that plays in AZ during the spring. Not that he can do anything about it, but I wonder if it would give him a reason to want to move on.

Due to the weather, aren't all games at night?

I know its spring training and all, but flipping on the radio or TV at 9:30 most evenings isn't something I'd enjoy.

I do, however, flip on the radio at work and listen during the afternoon games for ST just to whet the appetite.

Sorry Arizonians - I prefer Florida.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan
    Sorry Macro, We've already got one of those...
    Ahh, but yours has the period, and no "s" on the end. I agree that that's going to create quite a dilemma for SC, though.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I wonder how Griffey would feel about this. He has stated that he would likely turn down a trade if it meant him going to a team that plays in AZ during the spring. Not that he can do anything about it, but I wonder if it would give him a reason to want to move on.
    It would take a couple of years to get a new site funded and built. Griffey's contract may be over by the time this gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It would take a couple of years to get a new site funded and built. Griffey's contract may be over by the time this gets done.

Good point Unassisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    March in AZ is 90% great, occasionally El Nino makes it wet.

Games usually around 12:30

Well, it would certainly cut down on all the folks from Ohio that currently attend... and believe me, a lot go. The parking lot is filled with Ohio license plates.

I know I won't travel to AZ every year for 2 weeks to partake of spring training.... I drive to Sarasota to keep the cost of transporation down, plus I don't have to rent a car for two weeks.

Sarasota (or any other Florida coastal city) is perfect for this Ohioan in March... the Reds and the beach.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 01-27-2006 at 11:45 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

I know its spring training and all, but flipping on the radio or TV at 9:30 most evenings isn't something I'd enjoy.

I do, however, flip on the radio at work and listen during the afternoon games for ST just to whet the appetite.

Sorry Arizonians - I prefer Florida.
    i agree thats nice, but not being rained out so much would be nice to in the spring for developement and everything

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Best. News. Ever.

Turn Off Ads?