Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Considering Spring Training Site in AZ?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Reds Considering Spring Training Site in AZ?

For what it is worth, the idea that Goodyear will have 450,000 people is laughable at this point. The author paints the rosiest of rosy pictures there.

Goodyear is a dump, quite frankly.

But hey, if they want to enter the land of the big kids and build a shiny new stadium, more power too them.

Just a bit of perspective, it took the Town of Gilbert a decade to go from 20,000 to well over 100k, where it sits right now, and it has the luxury of being wedged in between two other bursting suburbs Chandler & Mesa.

Goodyear is surounded on most sides by open desert & indian reservation - which is nice, but not 450,000 people nice. Not in my lifetime anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Here's a point of reference - the current Cactus League stadiums

Goodyear would be marked at the intersection of the 303 & I-10 in the corner, just above where the words Surprise Baseball Park is.

Everything south & east of that is mountains and indian Res, everything east is raw desert.

I hate news like this. Sarasota's like 4 hours away from me. When they play the braves in Orlando it's like 1 1/2 hours. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Just a bit of perspective, it took the Town of Gilbert a decade to go from 20,000 to well over 100k, where it sits right now, and it has the luxury of being wedged in between two other bursting suburbs Chandler & Mesa.

Goodyear is surounded on most sides by open desert & indian reservation - which is nice, but not 450,000 people nice. Not in my lifetime anyway.
    With the median home price approaching $300k in the Valley, I wouldn't bet against it. Even with the leveling market. How far is the proposed complex from Estrella Mtn Ranch?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Well, it would certainly cut down on all the folks from Ohio that currently attend... and believe me, a lot go. The parking lot is filled with Ohio license plates.

I know I won't travel to AZ every year for 2 weeks to partake of spring training.... I drive to Sarasota to keep the cost of transporation down, plus I don't have to rent a car for two weeks.

Sarasota (or any other Florida coastal city) is perfect for this Ohioan in March... the Reds and the beach.
    Well dear, maybe no beach, but no rain either . $180 round trip from either Columbus or Indy. And you're there in less than 3 1/2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    Well dear, maybe no beach, but no rain either . $180 round trip from either Columbus or Indy. And you're there in less than 3 1/2 hours.
    I can take 2 or 3 others with me and not have to rent a car. What I save I put into beach-side accomodations.

Besides, I enjoy the drive.

How are you AOJ? Haven't "seen you" in a long time.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It would be a good move for me personally but with so many Reds fans coming down from Ohio and other midwest cities it would seem to have to be a really good deal for the Reds from a financial standpoint. I certainly wouldn't want to alienate my fans any more than necessary right now.

BTW, when I was in Scottsdale during ST two years ago a storm came up from Baja and dropped about 2" of hail on us. In the morning, areas that were in the shade looked like they had small piles of snow.

I do like the Phoenix area "in season". A lot of great things to do besides the baseball, too.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?