Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

  1. #46
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,960

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    There was a time when I would defend Rose, and argue that he belongs in the Hall. I may still believe that, I don't know. To decide would mean I would have to spend time thinking about it, and at this point, I just don't want to think about Pete Rose anymore.

    Too many bad choices; too many blown chances. He doesn't seem to have a clue as to what he should be doing to salvage the last few shreds of his reputation.

    And I don't care anymore.
    what blown chances? He's not been given ANY chances. He's been banned for life. If he was let back into baseball and did it again, that's a blown chance!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,294

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    He's not been given ANY chances.
    The offered a deal he turned it down, 15 years later he revealed he's a liar.

    Surprise!!

  4. #48
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    I want to know if Will Carrol and Mike Schmidt were completely clueless when they were saying that Selig was moving toward reinstating Pete before his book came out. If that was true, why did the release of the book change things? Was it the timing, because that was moved up by the publisher to coincide with the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies to make more publicity about Pete not being in the Hall. That wasn't Pete's decision. What about all of those who said that if Pete wanted reinstated, all he had to do was admit guilt and he'd be forgiven? Well folks, he admitted it, and now you hate him even more.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  5. #49
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I want to know if Will Carrol and Mike Schmidt were completely clueless when they were saying that Selig was moving toward reinstating Pete before his book came out. If that was true, why did the release of the book change things? Was it the timing, because that was moved up by the publisher to coincide with the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies to make more publicity about Pete not being in the Hall. That wasn't Pete's decision. What about all of those who said that if Pete wanted reinstated, all he had to do was admit guilt and he'd be forgiven? Well folks, he admitted it, and now you hate him even more.

    A guy who knows Pete very well told me the same thing Will Carrol reported. Pete blew it with the book.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  6. #50
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,960

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The offered a deal he turned it down, 15 years later he revealed he's a liar.

    Surprise!!
    What deal? They were going to ban him from the get-go.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  7. #51
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Pete blew it with the book.
    Which is a load of crap. If they were going to go ahead and do it, then do it. The book changes nothing.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  8. #52
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    If Browning can go to ST as an instructor then anyone with a criminal past (including the infractions most fans are unaware of) can go as an instructor.

    If Dwight Gooden can be an exec and coach with the Yanks then why can't Pete be at ST?

    If Bob Feller can be a said racist and admonish others.....????

    Yeah Yeah, I know they didn't gamble on the game. True. I agree with that and in no way shape or form exonnerate Pete. Pete should NEVER be allowed to be in a MLB dugout again. EVER. HOF Maybe. However, to come to ST as a special instructor and share some common ground may serve the players and PETE well. His admission IMO was only the first step for Pete.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  9. #53
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Rule 21
    (d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or
    employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in
    connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared
    ineligible for one year.

    Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
    bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
    the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.


    Ignorance or arrogance? Does not matter. It is the only rule that is posted in every clubhouse.... and there are lots of rules. Gambling by MLB employees on MLB games they are involved with is poison. It is the ultimate sin. And that applies to all sports. And all employees are reminded of this each time they enter the clubhouse. Why do you suppose MLB thinks that one rule should be posted there?

    Should the punishment be changed? Perhaps... if you do things the right way. Pete's way is not the right way. Ignorance or arrogance? Does not matter. The book? I saw a man trying to make money by telling the truth (the whole truth?) after lying for 15 years. Not illegal, but not the smartest way to get yourself reinstated either. And if you had asked us before he did the book if it was a smart move, I'd bet that the vast majority of us would have said "no way". Perception plays into the whole thing whether it is liked or not. It seems as though Bud and the other leaders of MLB felt the book was a bad move as well. Go on a TV show and confess w/out getting paid... after conferring about it with those who decide your fate. Does that seem like a better way to get accepted by Bud and the public? You can BET on it.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  10. #54
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    So I guess that exonerates everyone else who does horrible things... examples given in several posts... because those things aren't in the rule book.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  11. #55
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    So I guess that exonerates everyone else who does horrible things... examples given in several posts... because those things aren't in the rule book.
    I understand your point, TB. All those other things are bad. If a rule was implemented in the book that brought punishment (look out for the Player's Union!), that might please a lot of us fans. Rule 21d has been in the book long before Pete graced the field. It is so important (sports & gambling = poison) that MLB displays it in every clubhouse. The comparison is made by many, but it is apples-against-oranges as far as the rules that are in place.

    Declared permanently ineligible by this violation is known by all who are involved with the game. It is shown to the players before and after every game.

    I am all for arguing that those other things should be punishable by MLB. However, right or wrong, it is not in the rulebook today or in the past. Therefore, the argument to defend Pete's cause b/c of these other things is not there. You cannot punish someone for a violation that does not have a stated punishment... much like the laws of this country. Rule 21d is there. Pete broke it. Pete and all others who are involved know the punishment.

    Should the declared permanently ineligible for rule 21d be changed? That can be argued like punishments for other things. To say Pete should be allowed back just b/c bad-seeds like Ty Cobb (name it!), Mickey Mantle (alcoholic) or Sidney Ponson (bad behavior) were/are allowed does not hold water IMO. To me it parallels an argument that all murderers should be found not-guilty b/c O.J. was found not-guilty (not saying you feel this way at all, but making a point!). Two wrongs don't make a right. Gambling can ruin a game that is supposed to be fair; hence, rule 21d and it being posted in every clubhouse.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  12. #56
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I understand your point, TB. All those other things are bad. If a rule was implemented in the book that brought punishment (look out for the Player's Union!), that might please a lot of us fans. Rule 21d has been in the book long before Pete graced the field. It is so important (sports & gambling = poison) that MLB displays it in every clubhouse. The comparison is made by many, but it is apples-against-oranges as far as the rules that are in place.

    Declared permanently ineligible by this violation is known by all who are involved with the game. It is shown to the players before and after every game.

    I am all for arguing that those other things should be punishable by MLB. However, right or wrong, it is not in the rulebook today or in the past. Therefore, the argument to defend Pete's cause b/c of these other things is not there. You cannot punish someone for a violation that does not have a stated punishment... much like the laws of this country. Rule 21d is there. Pete broke it. Pete and all others who are involved know the punishment.

    Should the declared permanently ineligible for rule 21d be changed? That can be argued like punishments for other things. To say Pete should be allowed back just b/c bad-seeds like Ty Cobb (name it!), Mickey Mantle (alcoholic) or Sidney Ponson (bad behavior) were/are allowed does not hold water IMO. To me it parallels an argument that all murderers should be found not-guilty b/c O.J. was found not-guilty (not saying you feel this way at all, but making a point!). Two wrongs don't make a right. Gambling can ruin a game that is supposed to be fair; hence, rule 21d and it being posted in every clubhouse.
    Funny you mention OJ... in a sad way how many other celebs have gone unpunished since his trial?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  13. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    333

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Pete in the hall..not near any MLB team.
    Yeah, that's the obvious and best solution.

    Best of all, it makes the whole Pete Rose drama GO AWAY, which I think would please most everyone.

    Also, I think steroids call the integrity of the game into question just as much as gambling does. Look at the inflated home run totals of the past 10 years or so. Don't those now seem just a bit . . . fishy?
    Last edited by tsj017; 01-30-2006 at 02:48 PM.

  14. #58
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Does Pete really want to help others or help himself (not gambling rehab help, but get himself in the public eye)? Think about it.

    :thumbdown
    I agree with this. Some people would think it would be OK to hire him as a ST consultant or some desk job. Problem is that won't be enough for Pete. He's always going to be angling for the manager's job. He's said many times that he wants to manage again. Any manager is always going to have the spectre of Pete waiting in the wings. That isn't fair to the manager. Pete has to be in the spotlight. One of those consulting gigs won't cut it for him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  15. #59
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,345

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    Pete is an outstanding judge of talent though. I think he'd be very useful as an advisor to the GM, a guy that you could send out to look at players before you trade for them. The Reds could certainly use a guy like that.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  16. #60
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,380

    Re: Rumors: Bob Castellini and Pete Rose

    I can't conceive of how Rose could come back to the Reds in any capacity and not have it be a big deal.

    A big, stinky, messy, controversial deal at that and would dominate the Cincy and national airwaves and press. If Castellini can pull it off, it will be a true miracle.

    Having said that, how did Pete's book materially affect his pardon from Bud? So he made a buck off his confession? So what?

    I think Selig was desperately weaseling around looking for a reason not to bring him back and he grasped at the straw of the book. Bud weasels well.

    Pay attention to the open sky


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25