Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Random idea - make Milton the closer

Random idea - make Milton the closer

Yeah, I convulsively shivered when I typed it, but I thought it might be worth musing on.

Milton does occasionally flash ability. Some starts he's on, more often he's not. When he's on, his fastball is down in the zone with some life an accuracy.

Maybe, due to his knee, he's only got 15 pitches in him on a given night. Maybe if you let him rear back and just fire away you'd be able to wring some value out of the guy. No, I'm not convinced it'll work either.

But what do the Reds have to lose? It's not like there's a Plan A for the closer role at the moment. If you try Milton there in ST and he flops then you've lost nothing. The club should already know that it's asking for a beatdown if he starts. Might as well reach into the hat and try to pull a rabbit from it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random idea - make Milton the closer

Hmmmmmm......it did seem that he pitched his worse after he got through the order once.......not sure it is such a crazy idea M2.
    Let's play two!!!

Milton for one inning would be better than Milton for 6.

He does have a lot of experience pitching from a stretch.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Why not? He's already proved he's an opener.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Not a bad idea. My guess is that Milton would never go for it, and pitchers who are paid that much seem to have leverage. It took many more months than remain before the 2006 season starts for Danny Graves to get his mind around the opposite switch.

It may be too much of a leap for ownership to swallow, having the closer be the highest paid pitcher. That's the kind of outside-the-box thinking that probably leads to snickering from the other side of the banquet table at owners' meetings.

Although the snickers might be easier to accept than the offers of sympathy for having such an expensive and historically bad starter.

GREAT IDEA!!!! I would love one of the starters to take a tire iron to him after he blew one too many saves.

anyone know if Kevin Brown is anywhere near anything that could be considered healthy? It doesn't seem as if Brown has alot of suitors and he'd be a pure bulldog coming out of the pen...if the price was right...IMO.

i like that idea --it's a possible way to rehabilitate his value --2 good months and maybe you could trade him.

i also like the kevin brown idea --he was way hit unlucky--it's worth a shot -by the way -he's a little crazy --which ain't such a bad thing for a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Not a bad idea. My guess is that Milton would never go for it, and pitchers who are paid that much seem to have leverage. It took many more months than remain before the 2006 season starts for Danny Graves to get his mind around the opposite switch.

It may be too much of a leap for ownership to swallow, having the closer be the highest paid pitcher. That's the kind of outside-the-box thinking that probably leads to snickering from the other side of the banquet table at owners' meetings.

Although the snickers might be easier to accept than the offers of sympathy for having such an expensive and historically bad starter.
    I hear you, but after last season I'm not sure that what Eric Milton wants counts for anything. If he made a public trade demand, the GM could point out that no one wants him. If he kvetched that he's a starter instead of reliever, the GM could state that he's got a season's worth of video that proves otherwise.

As for Castellini taking heat for such a move, I figure most owner discussions about baseball revolve around lurid locker room stories. After that, it's all about the stock market and boating.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    He does have a lot of experience pitching from a stretch.
    I do like M2's idea though.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    anyone know if Kevin Brown is anywhere near anything that could be considered healthy? It doesn't seem as if Brown has alot of suitors and he'd be a pure bulldog coming out of the pen...if the price was right...IMO.
    I love the idea of Kevin Brown in the pen. From what I remember, he seemed to have better stuff than John Smoltz.

Yeah, why not. There's no one else for the job, Milton sucks as a starter, plus if he could magically post a sub 2.50 ERA someone might take him and part of his salary.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I'm not too sure.

It's like trying to undo the Graves to starter idea and I'm afraid it might rip a hole in the universe.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'm afraid it might rip a hole in the universe.
    Next to the one that the ball Jeff Weaver smacked off Milty poked up there?
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?